Announcement ZRoadster.org 2016 Calendar - Couple of spares available :)

Mrs Mint

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport
I'm a little confused by @deni2s post, if you photoshopped out what he is suggesting surely that means your not using the photo's people have submitted. I know some have been altered to take out distracting things but there has to be a limit otherwise where does it end. I personally would be happy to have the photos in the calendar exactly as submitted but I understand why it's done, just my opinion on this topic :)
We buy one any way whether we are in it or not, it's a nice thing to have great photo's of Z's.

deni2s

Zorg Addict
I'm a little confused by @deni2s post, if you photoshopped out what he is suggesting surely that means your not using the photo's people have submitted. I know some have been altered to take out distracting things but there has to be a limit otherwise where does it end. I personally would be happy to have the photos in the calendar exactly as submitted but I understand why it's done, just my opinion on this topic :)
We buy one any way whether we are in it or not, it's a nice thing to have great photo's of Z's.
Many people just don't know how much their photos can be improved by some pro, just by changing a few minor details. As I know some pics are already "photoshopped" (I believe most of them if not all at least a bit), but the changes are individually approved by people who submitted the pictures, so I don't see that as a problem. I too would like to keep the color balance of my submitted pics unaltered, but I know that sometimes color on printed photos (depends on ink, printer, paper) don't look the same as on monitor, even on calibrated monitor, so adjustments had to be made, and also I thought they were made to create the common feel of all images. I can't explain it so good in english, but my mother is professionally preparing large format photos for various exhibitions and she can take different photos created with different cameras, different lightning and other conditions and transform them so that they look like a series of photos taken in a row with one camera in similar conditions, without loosing anything author wanted to express in that photo (she usually works together with them for better results) to make the common mood similar for all photos in one exhibition and totally different from any other photo. But that is just an idea to think about, I know that that requires a lot of effort and practice and it's not so easy to do without many skills and experience.

Mac Romans

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
My s***'s custom!
Personally I like that each picture is different in its own right. With it being a calendar the photos will be viewed individually as you'll never have more than one page on show at a time. This gives a bit of artistic licence so the same calendar can have black and white, full colour or even (apparently offensive, but not to the 32 voters in September) partial colour mix, all in the same calendar.

I agree that were it an exhibition or an album then a common theme should run through, however this format allows for a more diverse finished product.....and if it wasn't already obvious, I'm all about being different.

To quote Heath Ledger's Joker: "If you're good at something, never do it for free".....

Thankfully @GazHyde and @Redline have ignored that snippet of wisdom and as a result we've got a great calendar. Thanks fellas.

M

M666BMG

I hope it is as good in the paper as my last calendar!

That is a foxy hunters one!

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Bloody hell, we are not talking about a Pirelli calendar here mate........
HT - Nail on the head there.
I'm not going to get drawn into lots of discussions about various things raised by Deni2s. In some respects, had this been entirely my own work then I would agree with some (but by no means all) that he said. I was in fact leading a workshop and discussion amongst a number of photographers including amateurs, professionals and semi-professionals just last week. This calendar is indeed just a portfolio. But then, it isn't!

The key issue here is that this calendar is a community project. It's content is from all you good people. Few of you don't know about nor would you wish to know about the many technical issues involved in photography, about RAW images, about workflow and production, especially to and at a commercial standard.

The calendar doesn't have the drivers that a commercial one does - it simply has to 'wash it's face and dry it's hands' on the commercial front. It's primary objective is to reflect the Z-Roadster community, i.e. you all, it's about your cars, your life and your experiences and is a vehicle share them with everyone else. My brief stopped there. To have gone further would not be appropriate.

Please enjoy the images for what they are - your lives, your Zeds!

M

M666BMG

HT - Nail on the head there.
I'm not going to get drawn into lots of discussions about various things raised by Deni2s. In some respects, had this been entirely my own work then I would agree with some (but by no means all) that he said. I was in fact leading a workshop and discussion amongst a number of photographers including amateurs, professionals and semi-professionals just last week. This calendar is indeed just a portfolio. But then, it isn't!

The key issue here is that this calendar is a community project. It's content is from all you good people. Few of you don't know about nor would you wish to know about the many technical issues involved in photography, about RAW images, about workflow and production, especially to and at a commercial standard.

The calendar doesn't have the drivers that a commercial one does - it simply has to 'wash it's face and dry it's hands' on the commercial front. It's primary objective is to reflect the Z-Roadster community, i.e. you all, it's about your cars, your life and your experiences and is a vehicle share them with everyone else. My brief stopped there. To have gone further would not be appropriate.

Please enjoy the images for what they are - your lives, your Zeds!
Great job, thanks again Ian

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Gaz - What happens to the proceeds from sales of the calendars?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
This isn't run as an elitist calendar, and we try as hard as we can with selection to not just choose photos taken by "professional amateurs". Then there is the balance of the overall picture, too much car? too little car? too much scenery? It's a real pain to try and select any of them, including those I see posted and immediately think needs to be included.

In specific response to Denis' query over why the static image was chosen over the drag strip one. We had some A3 printouts which I took to a meetup, and the static one produced considerably more feedback than the other. My personal preference was the drag strip, but I'm producing a calendar for a broad audience - not for me! In fact if it was just for me, then it would probably look very different.

Gaz - What happens to the proceeds from sales of the calendars?
It gets ploughed back in to running the site & club, but don't get too excited as last year IIRC it was about £90. I'm looking to put anything we make this year towards a couple of new sail flags for show stands and meetups.

Gail

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 20i MSport
Don't forget @GazHyde to order a few extra for marketing purposes e.g. send a couple to the PR guy at BMW who helped with the meet there and anyone else we might want to thank.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Don't forget @GazHyde to order a few extra for marketing purposes e.g. send a couple to the PR guy at BMW who helped with the meet there and anyone else we might want to thank.
I normally order a few extra copies just in case people miss the ordering deadline, but that's a great idea sending one to the PR guys at BMW :thumbsup:

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
This isn't run as an elitist calendar, and we try as hard as we can with selection to not just choose photos taken by "professional amateurs". Then there is the balance of the overall picture, too much car? too little car? too much scenery? It's a real pain to try and select any of them, including those I see posted and immediately think needs to be included.

In specific response to Denis' query over why the static image was chosen over the drag strip one. We had some A3 printouts which I took to a meetup, and the static one produced considerably more feedback than the other. My personal preference was the drag strip, but I'm producing a calendar for a broad audience - not for me! In fact if it was just for me, then it would probably look very different.

It gets ploughed back in to running the site & club, but don't get too excited as last year IIRC it was about £90. I'm looking to put anything we make this year towards a couple of new sail flags for show stands and meetups.
The reason I asked was, if there had been any excess funds we could have donated to a worthwhile research charity, but the finances are tight enough by all accounts, not forgetting about your efforts, Redline's and anyone else who provided their services free of charge!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
the finances are tight enough by all accounts
We are lucky that our biggest cost (internet hosting) is provided free by the co-owners company (Asset ICT). The donations we receive generally cover the software licensing/support costs which are around £150 per year. We currently have £327 in the PayPal account, so you can see we are OK at the moment - but certainly not rich!

In previous years we have supported charity, in specifics Motor Neurone Disease Association as it claimed one of our very first members here. It was raised a couple of years back as to whether we continued to support a charity or not going forward, but it didn't really get any support. I'm happy to support the concept again, but I would need someone to actively sit and drive fund raising as I really don't have the time to commit to it like I have in previous years.

As you say, everything that happens here is down to people voluntarily supplying their time, and in some cases their own funds to do so.

deni2s

Zorg Addict
Please don't take my comments as "everything sucks", that was not the meaning and I didn't wanted to insult anyone, I think any initiative is good, I just wanted to express some personal thoughts on how to improve even more from my personal respective. To use or not anything I said - decide by yourself, I am not forcing anyone, if you just considered what I wrote, thats all I wanted, and it doesn't matter so much if you accept or reject my ideas, at least you considered the options. I do respect everyone who is involved in creating this calendar and also other members of this forum. It's not often that something from virtual world takes material form - that requires much more effort.

Mac Romans

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
My s***'s custom!
Regardless of the politics, the calendar is great, I'll be having one for myself, one for my boy and one to send to the previous owner of my car for Christmas as it'd be a nice memento for them.

Don't be put off by some of the feedback, you'll never please everyone, all of the time.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Please don't take my comments as "everything sucks", that was not the meaning and I didn't wanted to insult anyone
Don't worry, I understand what you meant and took no offence from it.

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
We are lucky that our biggest cost (internet hosting) is provided free by the co-owners company (Asset ICT). The donations we receive generally cover the software licensing/support costs which are around £150 per year. We currently have £327 in the PayPal account, so you can see we are OK at the moment - but certainly not rich!

In previous years we have supported charity, in specifics Motor Neurone Disease Association as it claimed one of our very first members here. It was raised a couple of years back as to whether we continued to support a charity or not going forward, but it didn't really get any support. I'm happy to support the concept again, but I would need someone to actively sit and drive fund raising as I really don't have the time to commit to it like I have in previous years.

As you say, everything that happens here is down to people voluntarily supplying their time, and in some cases their own funds to do so.
The calendars are going to cost a few pounds to produce though! Have you decided on the selling cost, or have I missed this in a previous post?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The calendars are going to cost a few pounds to produce though! Have you decided on the selling cost, or have I missed this in a previous post?
I'm still working on adding the products to the store, but they will be £11 plus P&P as in previous years. Ordering info will be added to the second post in the next day or so.