How To Guide Z4 roof motor relocation to boot

Andrew Polasek

Tony, with the new pump in its high and dry" location I don't expect to ever have to move the top manually again. But if I had to, I would just crack one of the union bolts loose to relieve the hydraulic pressure.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks Andrew I guessed as much, but, as you say there's little chance of it happening with the pump snug in the boot.

Tony.

Stocko

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Z4 but I'm a little put off by the water in the roof motor problem. Does this issue affect all models of Z4s or is it just the E85s? Is the E89's roof motor in the same place? Thanks.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If that is all that's putting you off a Z4 don't let it. All cars have an Achilles heel somewhere. A lot of Z4s will have had the roof motor repaired by now if needed and/or moved into the boot anyway. It doesn't cost a lot to have it done if it hasn't been already.

Tony.

Andrew Polasek

That's good advice from Tony. I don't know if the E89 has the issue solved, but on the E85 it is not that big a deal to fix and in fact you can play this to your advantage price-wise if you look for a used car with a inoperable motor. And in the meantime you can still operate the top manually.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
As far as I'm aware the E89 doesn't suffer from this affliction at all, just the E85.

Tony.

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Z4 but I'm a little put off by the water in the roof motor problem. Does this issue affect all models of Z4s or is it just the E85s? Is the E89's roof motor in the same place? Thanks.
hi last month i bought a 2006 z4 e85 with roof motor not working this was reflected in the price its a bit awkward to get at the motor but quite straight forward i followed advice on this web sight ( have a look lots of good advice with picks. also see u tube ) mine all sorted now in boot & working a treat ... if it was working ok i would still move it to the boot ....dont be put off .

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
Brilliant description and you made it look easy.
Decided I would do it to eliminate future problems but can't get the top off the housing. Peeled as much tape as I can but can't get any purchase to lever the top off. What did you use and did you puncture the top to lever against? Any advise would be appreciated.
Regards Tony
the plastic container the motor is in is fixed to the hood hinge with a cable tie & a small tang if you stand by the passenger door & remove the rubber cover & with a long knife cut the cable tie & the plastic side piece the whole lot comes out in one piece.

Andrew Polasek

I must say again, big thanks to the OP for taking the time to post his project. Extremely well done and clear cut, greatly simplifying what could otherwise prove a daunting task. I urge anyone contemplating this project to do a web search, there are other good threads that are also helpful but this is one of the best. Thanks again. P.S. My relocated Mustang motor is still working like a champ.

Riccardo

Many many thanks @gookah. Following his guide I moved the roof motor in my trunk. It was not difficult, patience and some good pull when need it. I found a lot of water and the roof motor was dead. I sprayed it with different electrical an WD40 products and now it is working again but the roof does not move. When I press the button to open or close the roof, the other roof engine inside the car start and open and close only the metallic hinges on the windscreen, later on also the trunk motor start but the roof does not move. Any suggestion? Air in the idraulic circuit, roof motor lost power, idraulic piston locked?

I will attach some photos from the job done.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

Dave2019

Just did my relocate. At first it appeared the lines were too short to get the motor fully into the trunk. What I discovered was that the cable for The roof release for operating the motor manually was wrapped around the motor down in the original installation space causing the motor to not come out. This was discovered using a scope camera. Once the cable was unwrapped there was lots of line to get the motor into the trunk, after drilling an access space in the panel

Davz

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Brill write up, I am following this guide and so far everything is working well. My motor is sitting in diesel overnight and will hopefully come back to life tomorrow.
I did find getting the "cap" off the motor housing was the key to getting the motor out. I used my trusty Gerber knife attachment to cut through the cloth tape, unpicked the tape and then pulled like crazy on the cap and out it came, the rest is easy getting the motor out.
Cannot thank the OP enough for this write up.

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
I have just finally figured out the photo problem.
I re-saved the ones that kept giving me the security error, using a slightly lower resolution, taking the file size down from 6Mb to about 4Mb.
Every one is now posted and seems to be viewable, so hopefully they will be there permanently now.

I also redid some of the wording, to try and add a clearer explanation to some of the steps.

Hope this assists many more people to do a free roof re-location.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nice one Pete, it will be muchly appreciated I'm sure mate.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Craig Orton

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.5si
I have just finally figured out the photo problem.
I re-saved the ones that kept giving me the security error, using a slightly lower resolution, taking the file size down from 6Mb to about 4Mb.
Every one is now posted and seems to be viewable, so hopefully they will be there permanently now.

I also redid some of the wording, to try and add a clearer explanation to some of the steps.

Hope this assists many more people to do a free roof re-location.

Thanks for the post !
Relocated mine easily thanks to this post .
Very straightforward really just need to take ya time .
Saved me a small fortune so thanks again:thumbsup::thankyou:

Davz

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
I've got everything in the boot, refilled the hydraulic resevoir with jack but it isn't opening the roof.
The latches undo and the motor in the boot spins but the roof doesn't open.
While the resevoir was sat in the boot due to spending time getting the motor to work, the resevoir did drain empty and maybe oil from the pipes, therefore I though that the resevoir level would go down with the motor pumping oil into the lines but there is no change in the resevoir level.
I have made sure the cable valve release is shut.
I have run the motor for a good five minutes in total.
Any advice is much appreciated.