Rebody Z3 to Kobra build thread

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
So time has come for me to change a slightly scruffy black 2001 2.2 non sport into a Kobra.

This is a rebody kit made by Tribute Automotive. I bought the Zed as a donor car as the mechanicals and mot history looked strong. The body work was fine but in need of quite a bit of touching up etc. As I am taking the bodywork off that didn’t worry me.

This being a Zed forum I thought this thread may be of interest to those of you that have a pristine model already but wanted a second car in need of a change...

I’ll be posting progress slowly but surely.

Dave

Oh forgot to say. I post my progress on another forum (yes there others ) but here is a different audience.
And if my post is too pic heavy please smack me Mods

Last edited:

PHILIP BAXTER

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Roadster
Nice one Dave. Looking forward to this. Good luck with the build. :thumbsup:

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Preparation first.

As I would be keeping this many years after the build I thought it best to get under and take a look. The underside was looking just right and the suspension components at the rear solid. The front bushes left a bit to be desired and brakes needed a refresh. I also need to have the ability to make the car height adjustable due to the the body change. So went and ordered some goodies !

Brembo brake disc and pads all round and BC racing coil-overs. Meyle front control arms and lollipops too.

Attachments

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Sus fitted.

Bad pics of the suspension fitted and car dropped (too flipping low at the moment) a bit.
Last pic shows how the bushes were on the original lollipops.

Looking back at the pics I could have gone further and cleaned up the knuckle and back plate ... but it’s all going to get dirty anyway after time. It will never ever be concourse so ...

Attachments

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Now to the stripper pics.

It should take less than a day to strip it all down. Took me longer (nearly two days) due to
Lack of knowledge
Constant need to help someone with other stuff
Attending conference calls with the US (work getting in the way of play)
Lack of skill.

It’s all off bar the outer cills (I bl00dy forgot to get them off before the pics taken).

I’m now at the stage where I begin preparing the body to fit (needs a bit of offering up and fettling as I go). Next week I hope to have rear clam-shell and boot fitted. Perhaps bonnet if all goes to plan.C209F923-17D8-49FC-AF14-FB7DCA8D7858.jpeg 2ADF94D7-CE65-497B-9F50-341EE99A1FF1.jpeg 0AA3628C-D250-47E3-AE7C-F0A00CD7D848.jpeg 362F0659-F4E1-4383-949E-DCB9B8AD10BA.jpeg ACBA45FC-4863-4C69-9539-E669710117EB.jpeg 7B817DA1-E12D-48F6-9ACC-75275B6FB2CD.jpeg

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Questions.

No rear wheel carrier ? Nope I am going for twin exhaust eventually so will carry puncture repair and air pump.
Keeping wheels ? Nope have banded steels in waiting pics to follow soon.
Interior ? We will see - keeping bmw dash as not brave enough to change right now. Keeping Zed steering wheel also for vigilant MOT testers. Seats and centre console will change. OEM hoops coming out too.

Thanks all

Dave

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
So week before Easter I took days off work (I'm a contractor so it hurt) to get a bit more done. Bear with me while I get my posts in order :)

First off I needed to do some grp work as the Kobra kit is provided with a indentation/aperture in which you put the cobra side grill/gills. As mine is not a Cobra but a 'custom' I decided to cut the back off the indentation and then refit it level with the sides of the winglet. Now that may kick my butt one day if the grp filler shows through the paint. It's too late now !

You will see the pics of the inside of the wing before cutting, then I duck-taped the piece in place from the front then glassed in the back. Then filled the front with grp filler. I am missing a pic of the inside glassing in. I will take one when I next take the wing off and place here later.

Side wing before 1.jpg Side wing before 3.jpg Side wing during 1.jpg

Here is a side view of the Zed with the new wing on so you can see the result that looks better from a distance.

side view with wing 1.jpg

You can see a tiny hole in the winglet behind the wheel-arch. This is where the side indicator is going to go.

Also from the side you can see the power-steering cooling pipe. That has been removed and a mandrill in stainless used as a return loop. This is needed as I needed to cut the ears off in order to get the bonnet lower lip over the front. The ears are only relieved a little and nothing structural ever touched.

I'll talk about the rear next.

Last edited:

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Next I moved onto starting preparing the rear clam. This fits all the way around the wings and across the back of the car. I am fitting landie lights as I prefer them to the period lucas chrome ones. My fave cobra lights are the rectangular ones but they do not meet UK regs. (unless you spend over £300 on some LED conversions).

Here is a quick shot of the back with lights trial fitted. Rear fog-lights and reflectors will go on when I fit the body proper.

rear with lights 1.jpg

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
As it pee-ed down all day I went under-cover and concentrated on the boot furniture for a morning. Fitted TR4 boot hinges to pre-marked holes (hope they are correct). Then a number-plate lamp onto a preformed area (it needed a bit of relief at the back as the fixing bolts were a bit on the short-side.

Lastly I needed to fit the old mini type rear boot handle and inside bear claw. They both have bolts that need inner nuts and they are all hidden in a moulded space between the boot skins. I made a neat-ish access hole to gain entry for my spanner and will cover this when all is done.

boot hinges.jpg boot lid 2.jpg boot lock detail 1.jpg boot lock detail 3.jpg

Onto the next bit...

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I spent a good deal of time laying on cold damp gravel including lifting the Zed up on the coil-overs. They might come back down though.

I cut and drilled holes for the front headlamps and indicators in the bonnet. Replaced the bonnet gas struts with some a bit more oooomphie and re-fitted the side wings. Now these fit on all the exiting bolt holes for the OEM sills AND winglets so are a pig to get right. I have lots of gapping to do around the Zed doors.

By the end of maundy thursday I was a bit down-cast as not made as much progress as I hoped. So my mate (who's place is where I am building the kit) saw my mood and suggested a trial fit of the bonnet. We then put on the rear clam (using a few bolts to hold in place only) and then I placed the boot in position. It cheered me up and I have a day next week to get the rear clam offered up properly as well as an inner boot piece. The Kobra boot is longer than the original so needs extra grp panel fitted.

Anyway here is the artist's representation of what it could look like one day..... More to come soon.

Dave

bonnet trial fit 1.jpg rear view trial fit 1.jpg side view trial fit.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I love seeing these type of build threads Dave. Look forwards to the next instalment.

Tony.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Great stuff :thumbsup:
There is only one thing that would stop me from doing something like this, the roof line.
For people in the know, it always screams Z3 IMHO ....