Rebody Z3 2.8 Based Ferrari 250 Build

Hood Waterproofing

Whilst it was dry yesterday afternoon I applied some soft-top waterproofer as the rain just soaked the fabric previously. This is the stuff:


£18.75 for a 500ml bottle which just (and I mean just!) did one coat. Left to dry overnight and this morning the water beads up and runs off (pics to follow). Does that count as weight reduction?
 

Attachments

  • F0FCD72F-E124-4226-BF51-95E235BDA8C9.webp
    F0FCD72F-E124-4226-BF51-95E235BDA8C9.webp
    186.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 3A154736-D29B-4FE7-B00B-B95E57B6F630.webp
    3A154736-D29B-4FE7-B00B-B95E57B6F630.webp
    201 KB · Views: 633
  • 0E3E7AAA-21DE-4687-80B2-BCA162EFF989.webp
    0E3E7AAA-21DE-4687-80B2-BCA162EFF989.webp
    268.5 KB · Views: 584
Day of the J-Pipe yesterday.

1160mm 2.25" bore J-Pipe fitted by Redhill Classics (pic to follow, raining at the mo). They teed it into the original 2.25" system and swept it around nicely to follow the custom pipe to the driver's side of the car.

Did it work?

Yep, the drone is 80% reduced, still a little there but not intrusive. I can now hear the crackle of the exhaust in the 2250-2750 rev range which was completely drowned out by the drone previously. It has also quietened down idle-2500 revs a little and 4000-4750 (must have been some harmonics there).

So my calculations were right.

Anyone with an annoying exhaust drone take note. Here is the link to the science and spreadsheet/calculator again:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SY5oUTEcc


Cannot beat a bit of science.

Here are the pics
 

Attachments

  • 7FDA70F9-5012-496D-845E-7EBE9D224965.webp
    7FDA70F9-5012-496D-845E-7EBE9D224965.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 682
  • EC42A6EF-C3EC-41AF-9311-432F529BAF23.webp
    EC42A6EF-C3EC-41AF-9311-432F529BAF23.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 77DDF57D-6F3A-4127-ADF6-AF441A0506BF.webp
    77DDF57D-6F3A-4127-ADF6-AF441A0506BF.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 675
A quick update on the 250SWB Cabrio:

4000 miles since the car was converted/built and sweet as a nut with no mechanical problems at all.

Two electrical gremlins which I need to sort out:

  1. Battery drains down very quickly if not driven (3-days), so there is a "parasitic drain" which I need to investigate. Chief suspects:
    • Pioneer sub-woofer under the seat which may be permanently on. I may add a switch to the power for this or change the power circuit to after the ignition switch (I'm pretty sure this is what I did anyway but I need to check).
    • Z3 Alarm/Central Locking - CL works fine but the alarm goes off after 20-mins for no reason, there may therefore be a "drain" here.
    • Heater fan - this switches off most of the time, but occasionally does not.
  2. Electric fan not switching on when needed. Likely culprits:
    • Fuse blown.
    • The temperature switch (95-105 deg) is not working or the temperature is incorrect for a 97deg thermostat.
    • I have wired the relay incorrectly.
Other than these the car is a complete hoot to drive and very quick if a tad bumpy on the coilovers (may revert to struts and springs from the original car with the springs cut down).

Time for the last few sunny day drives of the year before it is moth-balled in the workshop until March-ish.

Rainbow.webp
 
Low battery voltage may cause the alarm to come on, so parasitic drain and alarm may be linked. Measure earth return at the battery and pull fuses until parasitic drain disappears.

If you have air con, the heater fan is switched on (speed 1) when the air con is switched on - so heater on and air con issues may be linked. - [edit] This may not apply to all cars.
 
Last edited:
Some pics of the "finished" (are they ever) car.

_DSC3964.webp
_DSC3965.webp
_DSC3966.webp
_DSC3968.webp
_DSC3969.webp
_DSC3970.webp
_DSC3971.webp
IMG_2395.webp
 
Looks great, just needs a dateless registration ;-)
 
Looks great, just needs a dateless registration ;-)

Thanks, glad you like it. I will be going old "A" or "B" reg plate when I get around to it, there are a few around £120 plus transfer. I may drop a few hints for February (birthday) and see what happens.
 
The REBODY playground is now open Woooooo!
 
Just stunning. That interior is fantastic. Definitely the standard I'm aiming for when I do the GT.

Glad you like it Tom, took bloody ages for me to do. I am in the middle of doing the interior on the GT California at the moment.

Any help just post on here.
 
That interior really is one of the best I have seen, exactly what I would like to do one day on my Kobra.

Do you do it for a living?
 
That interior really is one of the best I have seen, exactly what I would like to do one day on my Kobra.

Do you do it for a living?

Thanks,

I do not do this for a living, I am a Financial Adviser and Mortgage Broker.

A long time ago I was a Carpenter and so am used to measuring, cutting in, and fitting wood panels. The leather flows from this.

A few videos on you tube by a guy called “Cechaflo” who is a genius with leather and job done.
 
Hi chap

This is the first time in ages I've logged on as we've been so busy with workshop etc.

It looks amazing, well done! and thank you so much for the mention.

Please do come see us in her soon!

As you may know the "le mans" took over from the " voldermort 250" a while back ( fully approved and no issues thankfully!) So we were building a couple at mo. Amazing how much we've forgotten from the last build! This one's having the works, subframes both powder coated, powerflex bushes, a very tasty suspension etc.. in fact everything we didn't do to our own / company demo cars! ( builders houses and all that!) So hopefully it will be a nice product.

Still loving what we do even if we don't sleep very often!

We are hopefully going to the airfield zed meet if you're free? Dave Painter
(his highness) Has all the details if you wanted to come. Be nice to see a few frankensteins amongst the Zed's.
Hopefully Gaz will bring his "fsmous" cibra with him.

Be lovely to put faces to lots of names we've been lucky to speak to the last 4 years.

Keep enjoying the car in meantime, she really is a beauty xx
 
Ps, please may I share pics of your build on Facebook etc? The color is just wonderful and a nice change. Also, If you did want to feature on the (soon to be added when I get a mo!) Customer builds tab of website please do feel free to send pics. Email tends to keep the resolution better.
Thanks chap and happy driving x

Dear admin, hope this is OK to ask.
 
As you may know the "le mans" took over from the " voldermort 250" a while back ( fully approved and no issues thankfully!)

Intrigued - what's the Le Man's? Are there any pics? I'm still building my Z300S but thinking about next project already. Love the 'voldemort' but also like the GT body.
 
Hi chap. You're welcome to have a look on website. We've updated it to show le mans now, as wellas the isabella, zgt etc. It's a very pretty car and very similar to the one above.
Love to see pics of the z300s. We've only worked on one as they're aren't many. You will be part of a rare club 🙂
 
Love to see pics of the z300s. We've only worked on one as they're aren't many. You will be part of a rare club 🙂
Ah - found it. Thanks! That looks gorgeous. Looks like a great option.

Still working on mechanical upgrades on the 300 at the moment. It's electric. But will be starting on the body swap this summer.
 
Sadly the 250 Cal is up for sale (the red one in the profile pic not the blue one):

 
Back
Top