Z3 2.2 (2001), 100k miles, same owner since 2005, £3495 - a good buy?

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
My take is, My old mate Zephyr went from Z to MX. I went from MX to Z, I,m not certain which of us made the right choice. I do know that neither of them would ever sell for the cost of keeping them on the road, it,s a hobby.. That being said, I love the sound, smoothness, of a six revved till it taps out..The MX always sounded like it was about to explode...=)).An NA of similar age to my Z. Both are very capable of losing 10mm socket in...:whistle:. If I could I would have both, but that's divorce territory right there..:(. Here in Aus...Silly money.. but on the up side, corrosion is not an issue here, but high UV is...The car I paid 8k for, maybe I should have parted it out , but I didn't...:). So we do it for the love of what is a beautiful car......I'll sell mine only when I'm physically unable to get in or out of it...
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I would place aircon as an essential on my Z3 buying list, closely followed by cruise control. Most other options (such as heated seats) can be fairly easily retro fitted if required. :thumbsup: Would avoid "poverty spec" cars at all cost.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
have you driven a Z3 yet?
i went the opposite way, from a 2001 Z3 1.9 to a 2023 Mx5 2.0 and never coming back unless its an M Coupe in top condition.
Just asking because if not you may be disappointed
What makes you think we’d allow you back 🤣

There are 22yrs between the cars you compare.
Try a 2001 and MX5 in the UK - if it hasn’t dissolved already - it’ll also need attention to not look and drive like a ‘rat rod’.

It’ll be less headache on the mechanical bits (most probably) but a 20yrs old roadster they both are.

I love a Japanese car and by all counts the ones I’ve had were technically better than the BMW’s I’ve had, and less maintenance, BUT they don’t deliver on that unique (flawed?) driving experience that a beefy straight 6 Z3 does.

A 6cyl an interestingly heavy but light car - heavy because it is 1400kg+and the gearbox is beefy. But light because it’s lively and bouncy as you sit on the rear axle, and has lots of torque to ride on but plenty of power higher up and you’ll hit the limiter it’s turbine smooth and sounds delicious doing it😎

But even idle or just cruising you can feel and hear that straight 6.

here’s mine not cruising:
View: https://youtu.be/ExCfnaMISac?si=Rq43VykiiTu28ZED

(Note that it is followed by a near silent Fiesta - that outcornered me every time, but I know who was having more fun 🤩)

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
I would place aircon as an essential on my Z3 buying list, closely followed by cruise control. Most other options (such as heated seats) can be fairly easily retro fitted if required. :thumbsup: Would avoid "poverty spec" cars at all cost.
Each to their own..I wouldn’t put either of those things high on my list over a solid maintenance history.
@inhocsigno MOT history checker is a great resource and can infer a lot about how a car has been treated. Are there big gaps with no MOTs, are there repeated advisories for the same thing, what’s the mileage pattern over the years etc

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
I see ULEZ mentioned a lot, I looked it up. Is it such a big issue over there ?... ;)

Last edited:

Ade33

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Sports Edition
I own a 3.0 2002 runout model so i'm a bit biased ..However I'd go for a 2.2 sport run out model if I was in your shoes as they tend to go for a lot less and only 60BHP difference..You get all the goodies such as sports seats and nice wheels etc..ULEZ compliant too which will help further down the line if you want to sell it on.

..I wouldn't worry too much about mileage as long as its reflected in the price.. I've seen BMWs with the M54 unit for sale in the states with 300K on the clock and still chugging along..Proof of maintenence and MOT history are the ones that would sway it for me..

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Late to this thread but having looked at the MOT history there is nothing surprising given the age of the car. Would be put off by the water ingress and roof as well as the advisory on front shockers. Looks like the front suspension had attention a few MOT's ago re ball joints and bushes. Seems over priced for what it actually is, its going to need money thrown at it to get it to an acceptable condition. One wonders what the outer and inner sills are like, rust can be a problem to sort if they are bad. Jack Smith trimmers in Swansea can fit new roof circa £300 but he has a waiting list.

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
it looks unlikely to incur unexpected costs beyond servicing? and if I could perhaps sell the hardtop to create a contingency repair fund.. - no idea where I would store the thing anyway; please do not sing its praises!]
I read that advert as there being no hardtop. He said he sold it in January!

In 2024 with the market as it is, I would say both those cars are at least £1000 overpriced.

It says something when a £3,500 car has been sat for sale for two years IMO. Either it's a POS, or overpriced, or both. I'm getting both from the comments above. Especially when everyone selling seems convinced that the Z3 is 'an appreciating classic'. Yeah, OK.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I see ULEZ mentioned a lot, I looked it up. Is it such a big issue over there ?... ;)
Depending where you live, it can be a big issue. If you drive in the low emission zone it costs you £12.50 a day. Quite significant compared to other running costs. Insurance would typically be around £30/month for a Z3 used regularly.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
I read that advert as there being no hardtop. He said he sold it in January!

In 2024 with the market as it is, I would say both those cars are at least £1000 overpriced.

It says something when a £3,500 car has been sat for sale for two years IMO. Either it's a POS, or overpriced, or both. I'm getting both from the comments above. Especially when everyone selling seems convinced that the Z3 is 'an appreciating classic'. Yeah, OK.
The Z3 is becoming very trendy outside UK.
Prices over there are way below from what they sell in the mainland.
Sold mine for 15k (just a sport 1.9) and the lowest price for a similar one with higher milleage was 10k with no hardtop.
To the millenialls these are considered as classics the same way an MGB was to us back in the day.
One thing is for sure, it is a buyers market (for european mainland) and the Z is an easy car to live with combining many virtues such as sporty feeling, open top an excellent design.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Depending where you live, it can be a big issue. If you drive in the low emission zone it costs you £12.50 a day. Quite significant compared to other running costs. Insurance would typically be around £30/month for a Z3 used regularly.
More straightforward for us down here.
ULEZ = no entry. Period. There is no magical way that if you pay 12€ your engine emissions are reduced.
That ULEZ thing you have there is purely for milking drivers imho.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
The Z3 is becoming very trendy outside UK.
Now that you mention it, they are getting trendy here too.
I’m mid 40’s and usually the only others I see round Kent are driven by gentlemen older than me (who usually chopped in a an old Stag or Mg for the Z3).

Lately I’ve noticed more Z3 round here- mostly poorly modified (and I like mods!).
I’ve also had more positive comments made audibly when I’m town and had teenagers get their phones out(!).
I’m biased and think mine is a beautiful looking thing but I must admit to being a bit surprised by the attention lately.

similar thing happening with our 05 plate 645ci when I use it - and that is totally stock.

BMW have a knack of launching a car that’s slated for looks by the press, sell loads and then it’s loved by everyone later - e36, all of Bangles designs anyone?

Don’t know about the baboon grille models , maybe be I’ll come round, still in the ‘dislike’ camp on those!

Last edited:

Ade33

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Sports Edition
Now that you mention it, they are getting trendy here too.
I’m mid 40’s and usually the only other I see round Kent are driven by gentle older than me (who usually chopped in a an old Stag or Mg for the Z3).

Lately I’ve noticed more Z3 round her - mostly poorly modified (and I like mods!).
I’ve also had more positive comments made audibly when I’m town and had teenagers get their phones out(!).
I’m biased and think mine is a beautiful looking thing but I must admit to being a bit surprised by the attention lately.

similar thing happening with our 05 plate 645ci when I use it - and that is totally stock.

BMW have a knack of launching a car that’s slated for looks by the press, sell loads and then it’s loved by everyone later - e36, all of Bangles designs anyone?

Don’t know about the baboon grille models , maybe be I’ll come round, still in the ‘dislike’ camp on those!
Interesting.. I have to be honest and state I didn't like the styling of the Z3 at all when it was launched in the mid 90's

It was only when I looked at one at a classic car show around three years ago that My opinion changed and I stood back and thought with all those curves it actually looks rather nice and time less.. I think history has been kind to the shape..

I liked the look I ended up buying one shortly after that and have no regrets..

Given the values and the affordable and plentiful supply of running parts plus the number still being broken meaning parts are in abundance and not too expensive.. I think they are a bit of a bargain at the moment in the UK

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
And Z3 (and even 4s😜) have a great owner community on here. Genuinely decent people (mostly, we have a few nutters…….🤪)

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
More straightforward for us down here.
ULEZ = no entry. Period. There is no magical way that if you pay 12€ your engine emissions are reduced.
That ULEZ thing you have there is purely for milking drivers imho.
Love it.
In Greece government daylight robbery is clear, obvious and deliberate.

In the UK they prefer to wear a mask and whisper a bs story whilst they rob you, in fact I think they take a real pleasure developing complex and convoluted ways to tax us (and then not fix anything they promised to🫣)

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I wouldn’t put either of those things high on my list over a solid maintenance history.
A comprehensive service history is highly desirable, but not essential if you fully inspect the car. Z3s without aircon are a no starter for me as I have always used them year round and the aircon is vital, especially in the winter months.:)

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Just seen on Facebook. Low mileage with light leather for £3k
30C59440-60EA-422A-A479-467F9FB75E9B.jpeg

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
In the UK they prefer to wear a mask and whisper a bs story whilst they rob you, in fact I think they take a real pleasure developing complex and convoluted ways to tax us (and then not fix anything they promised to🫣)
It's the same over here in the Netherlands, this year in the northern part of the country where I live, the road tax has increased from 67,9 percent to 77,4 percent and that means that it will cost Z3 owners approximately 656 euros in road tax per year !