Wind deflector

Kev Bennett

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 wideboy
Can anyone advise me on where I can get a wind deflector and which is the best one to fit a 1999 wideboy without rollbars
Many thanks

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Roll bars or hoops were introduced in Jan 1997, so yours must have been removed. Without the hoops to support a wind deflector (solid plastic) or wind screen (metal mesh), I think your choice is limited to the OE accessory folding mesh screen that attached to the body, or the after market fabric mesh screen the fits over the seat head rests.

The OE screen is expensive, and hard to install. Scroll down this page:
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page12.html
And see instructions here:
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/media/PDF/WBKZ3TypeII.pdf

The after market screen is:
http://www.windblox.com/styles/bmw_z3_windblocker_nh.htm
It only comes in black. The one I received was not quite wide enough to fit. I could barely force the seats together enough to get it on, so it was not fitting around the seat belt holders properly. It would not go all the way on, so I never used it and returned it.

Last edited:

Kev Bennett

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 wideboy
Thanks for your reply vintage 42,however I have seen lots of 1999 and later z3s without roll balls I think this may have been for the European market,but please let me know if I am wrong
Many thanks

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
...........Roll bars or hoops were introduced in Jan 1997, so yours must have been removed...........
Unfortunately they were an option not a standard in UK market. Original OEM hoops are as rare as hen's teeth so you are looking for somebody breaking an old Zed. The rear cubby box needs changing to accomodate them so that gets expensive.

Kev Bennett

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 wideboy
Thanks jonco
Do you know or can you advise me on what I can do as I don't want to really change the rear cubby box as this can get expensive,is there a mesh one or Perspex one out there ??
Many thanks

Z

zedonist

Roll hoops were introduced for the facelift model of the Z3 as an option from 2000 onwards, a bill of materials issue meant that the hardware for for roll hoops got fitted from some time in 1998, meaning you can retrofit the roll hoops to some pre face lift Z3, like my 1999 1.9 and your 2.8., but it will incorporate buying the plastics which will mean a smaller rear compartment storage box or sub enclosure, i went for the sub enclosure, as i do not have a hat or gloves;)

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Hi Kev. I just bought roll bars and two wind deflectors from three sellers off ebay UK. Don't rush to buy and shop around. Also got the small storage box pieces with the roll bars and bought the small lid. There are a few for sale and I think one stand alone, JIM