Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind deflector

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Kev Bennett, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Kev Bennett

Kev Bennett Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    2.8 wideboy
    Can anyone advise me on where I can get a wind deflector and which is the best one to fit a 1999 wideboy without rollbars
    Many thanks

2. vintage42

vintage42 Dedicated Member
    American Zeds

Roll bars or hoops were introduced in Jan 1997, so yours must have been removed. Without the hoops to support a wind deflector (solid plastic) or wind screen (metal mesh), I think your choice is limited to the OE accessory folding mesh screen that attached to the body, or the after market fabric mesh screen the fits over the seat head rests.

The OE screen is expensive, and hard to install. Scroll down this page:
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page12.html
    And see instructions here:
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/media/PDF/WBKZ3TypeII.pdf

The after market screen is:
    http://www.windblox.com/styles/bmw_z3_windblocker_nh.htm
    It only comes in black. The one I received was not quite wide enough to fit. I could barely force the seats together enough to get it on, so it was not fitting around the seat belt holders properly. It would not go all the way on, so I never used it and returned it.

#2 vintage42, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Kev Bennett

Model of Z:
    2.8 wideboy
    Thanks for your reply vintage 42,however I have seen lots of 1999 and later z3s without roll balls I think this may have been for the European market,but please let me know if I am wrong
    Many thanks

4. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Unfortunately they were an option not a standard in UK market. Original OEM hoops are as rare as hen's teeth so you are looking for somebody breaking an old Zed. The rear cubby box needs changing to accomodate them so that gets expensive.

5. Kev Bennett

Model of Z:
    2.8 wideboy
    Thanks jonco
    Do you know or can you advise me on what I can do as I don't want to really change the rear cubby box as this can get expensive,is there a mesh one or Perspex one out there ??
    Many thanks

6. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Roll hoops were introduced for the facelift model of the Z3 as an option from 2000 onwards, a bill of materials issue meant that the hardware for for roll hoops got fitted from some time in 1998, meaning you can retrofit the roll hoops to some pre face lift Z3, like my 1999 1.9 and your 2.8., but it will incorporate buying the plastics which will mean a smaller rear compartment storage box or sub enclosure, i went for the sub enclosure, as i do not have a hat or gloves;)

7. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Hi Kev. I just bought roll bars and two wind deflectors from three sellers off ebay UK. Don't rush to buy and shop around. Also got the small storage box pieces with the roll bars and bought the small lid. There are a few for sale and I think one stand alone, JIM