Time for an overhaul of my 1.9 '98 BMW Z3 Individual

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
Matt …. first rule of Z3 maintenance … dont admit errors …. unless there is a witness =)) =)) =)) =))

Thats why I go to Zedshed …. and let them do all the difficult stuff for me… :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
1998 BMW Z3 Individual 1.9 M44 B19
Matt …. first rule of Z3 maintenance … dont admit errors …. unless there is a witness =)) =)) =)) =))

Thats why I go to Zedshed …. and let them do all the difficult stuff for me… :whistle::whistle::whistle:
hahahaa... I'll remember that oh wise one... !!

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
The other thing I confirmed today is that my rear shock absorbers no longer shock absorb =))=))

down position.....all good

1711985016036.png

up..... and stay up... =)):whistle:

1711985086991.png

I'm thinking Bilstein B4s ?.... or OEM ??

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Monroe shocks are not a bad alternative as well.
yeah it's a bit of a toss up....Bilsteins might look nice under there but Monroes are another option indeed. Certainly explains why the car used to "boat"... I reckon the front shocks are the same...I plan on replacing the lot now anyway... pennies will be the issue, so I'll buy the rears soon and the fronts later on...

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
Just got my fronts done ..they were the original Sachs. They were actually still working fine with no leaks although the garage said the top mounts were completely toast and the bump stops disintegrated. Transformed the car..no tramlining or anything. Saving up for the back now 😁

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
I replaced my fronts with Monroes as they're widely recommended as the best quality vs. cost option. They've been fine and transformed the car compared to the original ones that were on there. In hindsight though, I wish I'd just paid the extra for Sachs as they weren't that much more and would've retained the proper OEM aspect.

I think Sachs have now gone up a lot since I did mine a few years ago though.

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Just got my fronts done ..they were the original Sachs. They were actually still working fine with no leaks although the garage said the top mounts were completely toast and the bump stops disintegrated. Transformed the car..no tramlining or anything. Saving up for the back now 😁
I've got 19" Konig Crosshair wheels on mine, so tramlining is an issue as the tyres are 235/35Z/R19 which came with the car. However refreshing the whole suspension should make the ride a hell of a lot better

Esteban

American Zeds
Model of Z
CM93, BT93
I’ve had good success with Koni dampers. More comfortable than Bilstein. Good durability.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I've got 19" Konig Crosshair wheels on mine, so tramlining is an issue as the tyres are 235/35Z/R19 which came with the car. However refreshing the whole suspension should make the ride a hell of a lot better
Running those, make sure you fit the solid M3 style lollipop bushes Matt. The standard ones allow lots of deflection, especially when worn.

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
Running those, make sure you fit the solid M3 style lollipop bushes Matt. The standard ones allow lots of deflection, especially when worn.
I wish I’d fitted those when I did my front end. Took previous owners’ poly lollipop bushes off and replaced with BMW OEM. Ride became more comfortable but steering less incisive. Wish I’d put them M3 ones in now, as they seem a perfect middle ground.

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Paid £180 for the front pair of Sachs last August,is that more expensive than the others?
not sure to be honest, I haven't done much pricing for the front yet...though I have seen a pair of Sachs go from £100 a pair to over £200 a pair..all claiming to be "genuine" Sachs..but given my rears are shot, odds are the fronts are as well so I'll be investigating that soon..

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I'm looking for a weather window to bite the bullet and get that welding done. Then I can clean up, treat and paint the underside and start getting stuff back on the car!

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I wish I’d fitted those when I did my front end. Took previous owners’ poly lollipop bushes off and replaced with BMW OEM. Ride became more comfortable but steering less incisive. Wish I’d put them M3 ones in now, as they seem a perfect middle ground.
luckily I've only bought track rod ends for the front so far as mine are rustier than Titanic's bow. After I took the undertray off for Malc's fuel lines, I noticed the cross brace was a bit rusty in places, so I need to get that off, grind down and repaint. Are the M3 ones you're talking about with centre bolt hole as I've seen some where the bolt hole is offset

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Go with the offset bolt hole, adds a little caster, I’ve fitted several sets now, there’s really no downsides. Other than making sure you fit them the right way round😆 Slide into the arms easier too, bit of silicone grease and they wind right on.
These are the last two sets I’ve fitted, different cars, not that they wore out.

Oh, forgot, I’ve been finding better results with 1mm wire on thin sheet, though not getting too much time to practice, my blood pressure isnt stable standing so little garage time.

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Go with the offset bolt hole, adds a little caster, I’ve fitted several sets now, there’s really no downsides. Other than making sure you fit them the right way round😆 Slide into the arms easier too, bit of silicone grease and they wind right on.
These are the last two sets I’ve fitted, different cars, not that they wore out.

Oh, forgot, I’ve been finding better results with 1mm wire on thin sheet, though not getting too much time to practice, my blood pressure isnt stable standing so little garage time.
thanks mate..yeah I'm getting there with the welding, blow through occasionally but not nearly as much as before...and make sure you look after yourself!

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
luckily I've only bought track rod ends for the front so far as mine are rustier than Titanic's bow. After I took the undertray off for Malc's fuel lines, I noticed the cross brace was a bit rusty in places, so I need to get that off, grind down and repaint. Are the M3 ones you're talking about with centre bolt hole as I've seen some where the bolt hole is offset
I believe the first e36 M3s had eccentric lollipops, which then changed to concentric ones sometime in 1995. I'd personally get the concentric ones, but I'm sure the eccentric ones IainP suggests will be fine cos it's all designed for the e36 front end (which is essentially what Z3's have). I think the Z3m has the M3 lollipops as standard.

To stance or not to stance, that is the question.