Speedo stopped working

zeebedee

Hi, not sure if related but I’ve changed the seats in my Z3 from facelift to pre-facelift using the BMW seat conversion lead, but since then I’ve noticed the Speedo has stopped working?! Could it be electrical or something else?

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
It will be electrical.
  • Check the Speedo's operation with the hidden cluster tests. In the linked thread there are 2 sets of instructions Post #1 and Post #12. You'll need to work out which is correct for your car. You want the Cluster self test. In Post #1 it is test 2. In Post #12 it is test 1. Make sure the speedo is going full range. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?736153-Test-Mode-Hidden-Codes-in-your-car!
  • Inspect the speedo sensor on the diff cover plate. It is pushed in? Are the connector pins clean?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Disconnecting the sensor on the Diff. cover and applying some Electrical Contact cleaner spray may help.

Tony.

Dunkelgrun

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Model of Z
My “no speedometer” problem ended up being a broken or chewed up (mice) wire. The two wires connected to the diff sensor end up connecting to the dash cluster. I pulled the cluster, ran jump wires, and checked for continuity with a multimeter. One worked, one was broken. I ran a new 18 gauge wire from the the sensor to the cluster and it worked again 🙂. Maybe a wire got pinched when the seats were changed out?