Some people.....

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
So how does this work , if eBay hold the funds do they reimburse the t**t after you receive the goods back ? Or does he get his money back and you have to trust the t**t will then return ?
I don't actually know.

Funds are currently assigned to my Paypal account, but held, so not returned to him either.

After 14th (which ebay hopes will never come and we resolve matters without their involvement), I think he can then pursue some sort of dispute resolution claim, but I'm happy enough to wait it out and take it up with eBay directly at that point.

If I authorise a return now, I think he has to send the item, and the money gets refunded, but I don't know if that's after I confirm a satisfactory return, or if it's just automatic. I've never had a problem like this, and if he could return in person, I wouldn't care about refunding, but I don't trust the situation. Just seems dodgy from start to finish.

Last edited:

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
This should be black or white , eBay are pretty evasive when it comes to finding things out.

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
This should be black or white , eBay are pretty evasive when it comes to finding things out.
I guess it's tough to mediate in this type of situation. Seller says one thing and buyer says another and they've got to police the situation without ever having seen the item in question.

I've been honest and factual throughout and have a 100% feedback over 10 years. On the other hand, this guy has no history, had no recorded address, no contact phone number, it's a brand new account and lots of weird messages.

I'm hoping eBay see it my way.

Either this is a idiot that doesn't understand what eBay is or what is reasonably expected of a used product or he's an amateur scammer trying to get a refund before closing his account and opening the next, and moving on to the next soft touch.

philiper

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
E86 Montego Blue Auto
Is he a new user or messed up before and closed that account and started a new one? also, if he returns the items, how can you ge sure he hasn't done more damages to them? Or een sent the same item back?

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Is he a new user or messed up before and closed that account and started a new one? also, if he returns the items, how can you ge sure he hasn't done more damages to them? Or een sent the same item back?
In his super long text message ( off eBay records) he states he had a bad experience many years ago, but looking at it now, it's probably just a scammers back story to influence my sympathy later on and issue the return.

Little did he know I have no sympathy for narrow body owners.... Lol...just kidding.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Just to make you feel better Aaron, we had a very similar case concerning our villa in Florida a few weeks ago. My wife has refunded the customers "bond" which we take as sureity against any damage/loss etc. during their stay. Also they complained the Spa would not heat up. So they were given 2 days pool heat money back as well - total $450. It is just sitting in our American bank waiting, and waiting, and waiting ......................................... .
We are expecting legal problems soon.:(

Tony.

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Actually, I think I've discovered something. I decided to look up the delivery tracking and the name didn't match the recipient.

So, a bit of googlisation and I found a 'disolved company' registered at Companies House at the same address as I delivered to with the named director matching the name on the eBay account and date of birth corresponding to his age in the back story (which would make him 17 when he first used eBay, illegally).

Anyway, as far as I can tell, that person no longer officially resides at that address.

Is this a case of identity theft too?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nice detective work mate!

Tony.

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Reported, although started getting a load of private number phonecalls late last night.... lol, he's persistent.

On a positive note, I have found this on ebay https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html

How are sellers protected from losing a case?
For significantly not as described cases, sellers may be protected from losing a case if they provide clear documentation that the item was described accurately and consistently throughout the listing and in all associated communications. For example, cases may be resolved in the seller’s favour when the seller provides documentation that:
  • the buyer complains that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used, or
  • a defect in the item was correctly described by the seller, or
  • the item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after they received it, or
  • the item was properly described but did not meet buyers' expectations, or
  • the seller can provide evidence that they had already refunded the buyer or delivered an alternative item; or
  • the item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
For eligible cases filed through the PayPal Resolution Centre, sellers are protected from losing a case by PayPal Seller Protection.
I'm confident I've done everything by the book, so lets see how it all turns out.

Maniot 64

Model of Z
My profound sympathies Aaron....its unreal behaviour.....but shows best not to deal with folk/space cadets with 0 feedback.....from what I recall of selling on EB you can filter these out I think?

When selling my 2016 Triumph Street Triple recently on a 'Classified Ad' on EB, I had a number of scam approaches via e mail (contained within my listing)....scroats wanting to buy the bike unseen paying via PP and getting bike collected by legit carrier.....apparently the trick having collected is to then cancel the transaction which, unbelievably, PP will do if a complaint is filed quickly......money returned to scammer by PP and they have the vehicle too!

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Blimey, what a drama. I have sold a few odds and ends on eBay over the years and have had no issues whatsoever. Suppose it just takes one xxxxxx to spoil it. Hope common sense takes over soon.:thumbsup:

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
To assist others, the ebay setting to filter out balloons like this are found at the following location:

My Ebay > Account > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences/Buyer Requirements

Click 'Show' on the right hand side and tick everything and change all variable settings to the extreme. :thumbsup:

This sets the following:

Block buyers who:

• Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 12 month(s)
  • Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
  • Have 4 policy breaches reported within 6 month(s)
  • Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
  • Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
  • Are currently winning or have bought 5 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Well the 14th is here, and this was my message to ebay:

This buyer has stated the item was received damaged, but that is not the case. It appears to be in the exact same condition it was when originally photographed for sale and as packaged for delivery.

The item was described as in 'Great condition', 'Used' and 'having been recently removed from a 1999 BMW Z3'. Returns were not offered.
It was never described as 'perfect', 'mint', or 'as new'. This part is over 19 years old, and is in fantastic condition for its age, certainly fit for purpose.

The buyer entered a binding agreement of sale via ebay of their own feel will based on an accurate description and detailed pictures and as such I do not feel any need to offer a refund or return just because the buyer has changed their mind or had unrealistic expectations of a 19 year old used car part.

In addition, after the sale and payment was received, I received a text message (at 9pm on the 28 May) outside of ebay from the buyer. I assume they got my phone number from the ebay or paypal receipt. However, the contents of this are quite disturbing. I have attached a screenshot of this taken (6/6/18). I can provide a full transcript if required.

Given the situation on this transaction, I have no faith in this buyer and suspect some sort of scam is underway. I also draw attention to the fact they intentionally used false or incomplete contact details.

I have a long standing history of positive feedback on ebay and pride myself in my honesty and accuracy of my listings and value the safe environment that ebay provides for buyers and sellers alike.

After review of the ebay seller protection faq (https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html), I'm confident that this represents abuse of the buyer protection policy and I was correct to refuse this return request based on the following valid points:

- the buyer complains that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used, or

- the item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after they received it, or

- the item was properly described but did not meet buyers' expectations, or

- the item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

I trust that this matter will be resolved quickly as this is the most valuable item I've ever listed on ebay and the fund's from the sale are currently on hold.

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
Good letter , it will be interesting to see ebay,s response.

philiper

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
E86 Montego Blue Auto
that would be good if ebay actually reads the letter and decide based on that rather than the buyers BS! fingers crossed for you

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
UNBELIEVABLE.... (although see my note at the bottom)

This just received from eBay via email.

Thank you for contacting eBay Customer Service about the retro fit bar (item 192463737257) you sold to "olirobi_65". I certainly know how it feels if your buyer opened a case claiming that the item you posted is damaged Please be assured that I will thoroughly give you an update about this claim.

Before I proceed Aaron, I’d like you to know that I admire your patience and effort in this situation and for keeping an open communication with your buyer about the condition of the item when you sent it. I reviewed your case and found that the best next resolution is to have the item returned. To ensure the resolution of this case, please note that I’ve placed the case on hold for 5 days to give you time to facilitate the return process.

There are a lot of ways on how you can do so. Here’s how:

1. Issue a pre-paid shipping label

If you have a preferred courier, you may wish to send your own return shipping label. In order to do this, you may simply contact the courier of your choice for the instructions on how to avail of their shipping labels. Please note that you may consider the size and weight of the item in line with the label that you'll be issuing to prevent any future problems with the buyer. You may also contact your buyer to confirm what couriers are available near their location. Please note that you may also get your buyer's contact details by clicking the link below so that you can phone them directly and have a clearer conversation with them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9

We'll send you an automatic email with the seller's contact details. Please be aware that we'll send them your contact details at the same time. We feel it maintains trust and fairness on eBay if members are made aware when other members request their contact information.

2. Send funds to cover the return postage

You can find out the return cost by using the shipping calculators available in your buyer’s local courier website. Once you managed to get the quotation of prices, you can issue your buyer with funds through PayPal. We are aware that the funds for the buyer’s payment are on hold due to an open case. Therefore, it’s necessary to add funds first with an amount enough to cover the return shipping cost. Please be reminded that the return cost should be on top of the buyer’s payment.

Here's how you can send funds to your buyer:

- Enter who you want to pay and the amount
- Select 'Goods,' and then click the 'Continue' button (Note: Please don't select the 'eBay Items' option as this won't work because this is a repayment)
- In the space to provide a message, please enter something like the case ID or the item number which will indicate what this payment is for
- Click the 'Send Money' button

If we haven’t received any form of resolution mentioned above within the given timeframe, please note that the case will be closed with a full refund and without a requirement to return the item. With this, I positively recommend that after you've resolved their concern with one of the options given above, you can also inform us with the necessary details such as the tracking number for the issued label or the PayPal transaction ID screenshot for any funds given, so we can proceed with what to do next for this transaction.

Thank you for choosing eBay, Aaron. Have a great day!

Kind regards,

Rachel Z.
eBay Customer Service
So, after getting that I jumped on the phone to ebay, and their status check doesn't match up with this email at all...

I've recorded the call.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Unbelievable!!

Tony.

Aaron MacQ

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Ok, so after hearing the automated status line which told me "Case is still open you do not need to do anything", my imediate thought was that the email was a spoof. See point 2 ( Log in to your PayPal account and click ‘Send Money’ )

Seriously, that sounds well ropey, .....but...... turns out it's true.

Just spent 20 mins on a call to an agent, who point blank refused to consider any of the correspondence outside ebay messenger. So the first message from him which came via SMS and sounds well dodgy does't count for anything.

So, the next part of this adventure is accepting the return (at my cost), then raising an appeal.

Oh, what's an appeal I thought.... well, an appeal means that AFTER the buyer has received his full refund, Ebay/Paypal will assess the claim under the Seller Protection.

Eh, what???

Yes, that's right. The buyer will get a full refund and I get the promise of a tracking number. After it arrives, I can raise a complaint, and if the buyer is found to have done wrong, they'll get a negative rating, and possibly banned from ebay. NO FINANCIAL PENALTY!

I guess I'll await my empty box, and have to sleep easy knowing that the 0 rated user account might get shut down.

Anyone know any media outlets that would like to pick up this story and film the arrival and opening of my return?.... lol

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Ok, so after hearing the automated status line which told me "Case is still open you do not need to do anything", my imediate thought was that the email was a spoof. See point 2 ( Log in to your PayPal account and click ‘Send Money’ )

Seriously, that sounds well ropey, .....but...... turns out it's true.

Just spent 20 mins on a call to an agent, who point blank refused to consider any of the correspondence outside ebay messenger. So the first message from him which came via SMS and sounds well dodgy does't count for anything.

So, the next part of this adventure is accepting the return (at my cost), then raising an appeal.

Oh, what's an appeal I thought.... well, an appeal means that AFTER the buyer has received his full refund, Ebay/Paypal will assess the claim under the Seller Protection.

Eh, what???

Yes, that's right. The buyer will get a full refund and I get the promise of a tracking number. After it arrives, I can raise a complaint, and if the buyer is found to have done wrong, they'll get a negative rating, and possibly banned from ebay. NO FINANCIAL PENALTY!

I guess I'll await my empty box, and have to sleep easy knowing that the 0 rated user account might get shut down.

Anyone know any media outlets that would like to pick up this story and film the arrival and opening of my return?.... lol
Try one of the Tabloid papers Aaron.

Tony.