Run-in with "the police"

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift (Izzy)
Had something happen this evening that has thrown me for a loop...

I went out for a little drive in the Z3 this evening and had someone pull out of a side-street without looking. In hindsight I probably could have braked in time, although it was close. But it was quiet and it was a safe and legal place to pass, so I swerved out and passed them on the other side of the road. They have then followed me for about a mile before I have pulled into a car park.

They have pulled up next to me and it's a woman on her own who tells me she's got me on her dashcam, is a police officer and that I am going to need good luck.

Honestly, I was so taken aback I didn't think to take her name, badge no, reg no or even engage with her on what offence(s) she thinks she has caught me doing. I wasn't speeding, it was a safe and legal place to pass. I didn't lean on the horn or run her off the road. I told her in no uncertain terms that as far as I was concerned she has pulled out without looking, which she denied - well it's not like I materialised out of thin air, is it!?

What would you folks do?

I have already messaged the local constabulary on facebook who have pretty much said don't worry about it, however I do worry about it - either there is an officer out there abusing their power, going round intimidating citizens (can you imagine if it was the other way around and a male officer followed a lone female into a quiet car park!!!???), or, there is some local vigilante going around impersonating a police officer and needs to be reported.

There is ANPR in the car park they followed me into, so I am going to contact the owner tomorrow and see if I can get the VRN. I'm also contemplating a mission to the side street they pulled out of tomorrow to look for the car myself (she referred to it as "my road" and it's only a short cul-de-sac).

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
I'm also contemplating a mission to the side street they pulled out of tomorrow to look for the car myself (she referred to it as "my road" and it's only a short cul-de-sac).
That is what I would, in a different car though. My feeling is, she is not a cop at all...

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
That is what I would, in a different car though. My feeling is, she is not a cop at all...
Unfortunately I'm halfway through changing the discs and pads on my other car (5 series) and have to wait for a 9mm allen key to be delivered from Amazon (ffs BMW, 9mm!?). Annoyingly if I had gone out in the 5 series this evening instead I'd have my own dashcam footage!!

Then again, I wouldn't mind giving her a little scare if she happened to notice the same Z3 outside her house taking her reg number. Maybe she'd think twice about running around on her little high horse...

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Great, thanks Andy. Hopefully I can get the reg one way or another and report her.

Sadly I am skeptical anything would come of it, my faith in the police service is lacking after my only other encounter with them was a few years ago when I was hit by a car out on my bicycle and despite another car providing dashcam footage clearly showing it was Jeep Cherokee, the investigating officer took one look at it and decided it was a Ford Focus and then - shock, horror - was not able to find a Ford Focus on any traffic cams in the area at the time 😡

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
She isn't a copper.
She said that as she was a woman on her own so you didn't get out and thump her after she realised following you into a car park was not the best idea.

Even if she is a copper, so what? She was off duty. Off duty coppers are just people.

bronty

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
I would highly doubt she was a police officer.
If she was and a offence was committed she would have phoned the station with your reg,
More like she had a party for the football nipped to the shops for more tonic after powdering her nose.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
And the moral of this tale is buy yourself a Dashcam. Then you could have told her where to go.

Tony.

ps. Put one in facing the rear too.

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
She isn't a copper.
She said that as she was a woman on her own so you didn't get out and thump her after she realised following you into a car park was not the best idea.

Even if she is a copper, so what? She was off duty. Off duty coppers are just people.
I think the M police maybe an exception to that rule...:whistle:

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
And the moral of this tale is buy yourself a Dashcam. Then you could have told her where to go.

Tony.

ps. Put one in facing the rear too.
Yup, 100%
I'm actually annoyed with myself because it has been on my 'to do' list for months. I ordered one last night and it should be coming today.

I did think about a rear facing one, I have the Nextbase 522GW in my F11, but couldn't think where I'd mount the rear one in the Z3 (and didn't want the rear view mirror type, recording me sing (or worse 🤭)

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
She isn't a copper.

A Police Officer carries a Warrent Card and as such is on duty 24/7/365 in that respect and has the power to arrest when "off duty".

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I have recently found that some rear looking cameras are more likely to interfere with DAB radio reception and GPS as well. I eneded up with a really cheap Goodyear branded dashcam with quite low definition in my Outlander. Rear cameras in a Z3 are not so easy with nowhere to mount them.

KASPar

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 M52 1998
If this were 30 years ago, I'd have taken it as a pull. Good looking young <<disturbing commentary removed by admin on grounds of decency>>. Oh memories of that time in Waitrose car park in Beaconsfield.

Anyway, I digress. :whistle: :Do_O

ADMIN: EDIT to keep post within the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Off duty coppers are just people.
Not true. A constable (not the rank, but the role) has police powers for all the time they are a constable. They just have to identify themselves as such.

If they take the actions of a warranted constable, they automatically place themselves on duty.

They only cease to be a constable when they leave the police service.

It is an offence to identify yourself as a constable if you are not.

MuttyMax

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44 and 2.8
Yep "impersonating a police officer" is also an offence. So if you fancy turning the tables on her definitely report her for that offence (especially if there's ANPR for the car available to the police).

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
There are lots of ways to mount a rear facing dashcam in Zs. You just have to use your brain.

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
1. The police don't seem interested.
2. Theres some crazy arsed people around these days.
3. Remember she can find you as easily as you can find her and a Z3 is quite distinctive these days.
3. No damage or loss (yet)

Let it go and put it down to experience IMHO.

PS. Get a dash cam, they are cheap and easy to hardwire.