#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
20240701_131909.jpg
This is how easy it can be.
20240701_131916.jpg
20240701_131926.jpg
20240701_131944.jpg

I have a Z3 here at the moment so I'll see how you can do it if you like?

Tony.

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift (Izzy)
That looks like it works well on you car with a glass rear screen, but the only way you'd do that with a Z3 is with the rigid wind deflector - which I don't have (or want) - and then the clarity of the image through the plastic window with the roof up would be awful, maybe even unuseable. (And I'd suspect the buffeting with the roof down would be equally disastrous for image quality).

I think your only option for rear-facing on the Z3 would be the windscreen or mirror mounted ones, which as I've said I wouldn't want, and I think that plastic screen would ruin any image fidelity. :(

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That is true, but majority of the time your roof is down?
My car didn't have a perspex rear screen till I made one.
Just another possibility, you simply have to think positively John. Where there's a will. . . . .

Tony.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
The others are quite correct being a retired Plod I confirm a Constable is a Constable 24/7 when in service. Warrant card should always be carried and produced upon request if asked for as would your collar number and where you are stationed. I very much doubt the woman was/is a serving officer, if she is then didn't follow the right protocol when speaking to you. Having said that this opens the possibility of the offence of impersonating a police officer. Stuck more than a few on for that offence in my time. As to investigating this whole affair these days they don't seem to bother usually because lack of evidence, dashcam footage would have blown that excuse out of the water wouldn't it?
Things are certainly not the same as in my day, glad to be out of it these days but do miss the people.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
2.8 Widebody
Probably a well known local nutter, Mrs Mitty, Walters wife.

MuttyMax

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44 and 2.8
Bring back the jam butties and the seven day wonders for people who cannot be bothered to maintain their cars properly .... in particular driving arounds with only 1 headlight and no brake lights for weeks at an end.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
The management of Road Policing is a mess, the cutting of traffic patrols they brought about is a direct result of the way people maintain their cars and their standard of driving. As for the Motorway System in the UK the Police withdrew even more when the Traffic Officers came into being, all well and good for keeping the traffic flowing but they don't deal with offences. If Police are required they call for them and under the current management they are few and far between. A lot of Forces did away with their Motorcycle patrols all well and good on safety grounds on motorways but a sad loss for A and B roads. It all adds up to mismanagement and money saving. Just count the number of Police Patrol cars you see on your journeys that are dedicated traffic patrols, you will be lucky to spot any, including the occasional unmarked patrol vehicle.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Just count the number of Police Patrol cars you see on your journeys that are dedicated traffic patrols, you will be lucky to spot any, including the occasional unmarked patrol vehicle.
You see loads in motorway service areas, especially if they have a Greggs! ;)

Dave Campbell

American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.3 2.5L Straight Six 5-Speed Manual
Had something happen this evening that has thrown me for a loop...

I went out for a little drive in the Z3 this evening and had someone pull out of a side-street without looking. In hindsight I probably could have braked in time, although it was close. But it was quiet and it was a safe and legal place to pass, so I swerved out and passed them on the other side of the road. They have then followed me for about a mile before I have pulled into a car park.

They have pulled up next to me and it's a woman on her own who tells me she's got me on her dashcam, is a police officer and that I am going to need good luck.

Honestly, I was so taken aback I didn't think to take her name, badge no, reg no or even engage with her on what offence(s) she thinks she has caught me doing. I wasn't speeding, it was a safe and legal place to pass. I didn't lean on the horn or run her off the road. I told her in no uncertain terms that as far as I was concerned she has pulled out without looking, which she denied - well it's not like I materialised out of thin air, is it!?

What would you folks do?

I have already messaged the local constabulary on facebook who have pretty much said don't worry about it, however I do worry about it - either there is an officer out there abusing their power, going round intimidating citizens (can you imagine if it was the other way around and a male officer followed a lone female into a quiet car park!!!???), or, there is some local vigilante going around impersonating a police officer and needs to be reported.

There is ANPR in the car park they followed me into, so I am going to contact the owner tomorrow and see if I can get the VRN. I'm also contemplating a mission to the side street they pulled out of tomorrow to look for the car myself (she referred to it as "my road" and it's only a short cul-de-sac).

I would just "move along". Anything you do to press this matter with her or with the police department, will only draw unnecessary attention to you and your Z3. This is one of those cases where even though you may "Win", you'll "Lose". Avoid that stretch of road for a while and continue to have fun and drive safe.