REMAPPING

bruce&kim

Zorg Legend
The West Country
Hi read Mike Fishwicks article on remapping has anyone else any view on this?

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
On the 2.8 the throttle body is supposed to be restricted so if you have a M52B or M52TUB engine (and you will read about cylinder problems which does not apply to us, nikasil linings failing etc.) the. If you fit a M50 inlet manifold you will create a bigger increase on power and torque you can also bore out the throttle body then as well (it also need remapping at the time). In essence the 2.8 is throttle restricted which there is a small mention of on the Wikipedia article on Z3's I am not sure how you sort the electronic throttle on the M52TUB engine the M52B looks much simpler.

I am still investigating as I am thinking of helping black for the track to breathe easier. My track driving is improving a little I think and it might be something to consider.

Of course if you fit the inlet from the Z3M and the individual throttle bodies from and M (which has been done) you apparently discover why the 2.8 was throttle restricted as BMW could not justify the huge difference in price between the 2.8 and the 3.2 M. Which makes no sense to me as the suspension is completely different, so I am told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
bruce&kim,

From all the research I did on the subject, you ideally need to look at the complete process. Better induction (more cold air in to the engine preferred) & a better less restrictive exhaust and then a remap would provide the "best" solution.

My zed drives considerably better with a £30 ebay cone filter, and Eisenmann exhaust back box. Remap was next on the list. Wasn't expecting any big gains in power, just a smoother running system.

That said a few people have just had remaps and claimed an improvement.

Don't forget that you will need to declare it to your insurers too, and some standard insurers don't allow modifications. Best to check that out as well.

Gary

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
bruce&kim We need to talk I wonder if they would do a deal for two at the same time? and what about the exhaust side, and is the throttle body bored out? Looks like a pair of good finds though. The inlet manifold is about the right price but there are some little bits and peices to make it fit right. I have a write up that I will email you, that I am still investigating.

bruce&kim

Zorg Legend
The West Country
bruce&kim We need to talk I wonder if they would dod a deal for two at the same time? and what about the exhaust side, and is the throttle body bored out? Looks like a pair of good find though. The inlet manifold is about the righht price but there are some little bits and peices to make it fit right. I have a write up that I will email you, that I am still investigating.
Bad news Duncan emailed the ebay guy reply was "it has the m54 engine instead of the m52 engine so this can't be done sorry" i will keep looking though and let you know what i find

I also found this not sure if its suitable for our cars but i will try it.

"For those with M54 M54 MS43 lumps under the bonnet with throttle drive by wire ( electronic ) and not by a cable there is a reset than can be made that may improve throttle response. This is typically done if a customer complains after an a new EDK is installed - allthough it should be done as part of the procedure anyway).

Its easy and quick just 20 seconds thats all !!

1 Place key in ignition and turn to detent 1 and count for 10 seconds ( only postion 1 do not start the engine. )
2.Turn key back to 0 postion and count for another 10 seconds
3.Now turn the key all the way to detent 3 to start the engine

Thats it your throttle is now reset. this can help to improve the cars throttle response. this little trick is always worth a go if you feel the car is a little sluggish or has been bought off someone who has just gone to the shops n back in thier BM. In theroy the throttle should now adapt slightly to your driving style "
R

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Correct me if I am wrong here guys but the M52TU has a manual throttle, the fly by wire electronic throttle came on the M54 engine in the guise of the 3.0 litre engine.

Bruce if you have the M52TU twin vanos engine which from the year of your car Sept'99 you should have then the M50 manifold will not fit correctly it is the M54 manifold from a 3.0 you need along with a throttle body conversion plate adapter which Turner Motorsport manufacture available through Simpson Motorsport in this country. If you give Liam z3cade a PM who did this conversion on his last Z3 I am sure he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Bruce is your Z3 a 2.8 or 3.0 :confused:

bruce&kim

Zorg Legend
The West Country
Thanks for your reply Aceman its a 2.8 .. i am very new to z3,s so taking in all the info,i do hope my posts are not misleading as i know very little at the mo,but enjoy researching and hope to learn from you guys with far more knowledge.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Aceman I will check but the M52TUB28 engine introduced the fly by wire from memory. Black for the track 1998 (M52B28 is manual throttle and Blue for the road 1999 is flyby wire I am pretty sure. I am also sure that Nutty_Hazel also has fly by wire in her M52TUB20 which is May 2000 manufacture so predates the M54 I think.

I will check in the manual in the next day or so and post if I am wrong.:bookworm:

bruce&kim we are all relatively new and all learning all the time. z3cade will I think though be a great source of info I had not realised he had done this. Like you I am still trying to get to the bottom of what does and what does not work before I spend what little money I do not have. :facepalm:

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Learn something new everyday as I thought the fly by wire throttle came with the birth of the M54 I didn't think they did a 2.8 with this not in the Z3 at least.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
My 99 2.8 twin vanos had a throttle cable.. So if you wish to do the inlet manifold mod then you will need an E46 325/330 inlet manifold and a throttle body adaptor plate.. It's a job that you can do yourself if your handy with the tools..

But in all honesty i wouldn't bother.. You won't get massive gains.. Best to upgrade engine size if its more grunt you want

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Many thanks Liam! Thats what I needed to hear the voice of someone that has tried it and can say if it is worth it or not! by the time you have done the change your not looking at any change out of £400 or £500. I think I might take a look to see if I can find a cheap Kit Car.

These are the Articles I was forwarded:

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Having done the mod to my 2.8 I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you were going to do the lot, ie inlet mod, induction kit, free flow exhaust system and a custom remap.. Otherwise its just not worth it.

With the over all expense to zed prices your better off upgrading to a 3.0 or //M.. That's what I did and I've never looked back.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Learn something new everyday as I thought the fly by wire throttle came with the birth of the M54 I didn't think they did a 2.8 with this not in the Z3 at least.
Aceman I think you may be right. But I am not sure of the difference. The fly by wire does not have a cable I assume from the pedal which all the ones I am looking at do. But there is a whole load of references to electronic throttle control on the Z3 so is it a case that the cable operates something electronic? Or are the electronics on the throttle Separate? Anyway I hate the idea of leaving something up I am wrong about. So as far as I can see none of the Z3's I am looking at have fly by wire but they have a serious electronics around the throttle that does something.

When I get a chance I will look at if the cable actually does activate the flap or if it is the electronics and will report here if I can find the thread again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk