Rear brake refurb

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Thought I would share this info. and maybe save people a few pennies. I don't have any affiliation with any of the Companies mentioned but was so impressed with the parts and the prices I felt they deserved a mention

My rear caliper on the drivers side has been sticking intermittently for the past 6 months or so. Whilst front calipers are reasonably priced, rears are far more expensive for some reason. Eurocarparts are asking £172 for the right and £185 for the left; plus £24 against return of an exchange part. Even with discounts there is not much change from £120 a side.

After a fair bit of searching I had almost decided to have a go at refurbishing my old calipers, at around £40 per side, when I came across (via an old post on this forum) Brakeparts, which is the on-line shop for Brakes International. Their price for the rears is £72 plus £36 against return of an exchange part https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/BMW/Z...els/Rear - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders. Thinking this was too good to be true, I looked further. The refurbished calipers are supplied by Budweg, who I had never heard of, however, their website gives all the information I needed about their "remanufacturing" process http://www.budweg.com/reman/reman-process. I also so decided to replace the rear discs, handbrake shoes and, of course the pads. So long as I get the refund for the parts returned total cost will be around £240 which is the same as calipers only (with a 30% discount) from ECP. Postage for the whole lot (as one delivery) was £4.99 and it was delivered within 48 hours.

Here are a few pictures of my refurb

20180919_123435.jpg

Brake discs are from NK- Automotive, with origins in Sweden, however, I suspect they are actually manufactured in the Far East.

20180919_140440.jpg

First job was to apply masking and paint the hub area.

20180919_152511.jpg

Then got a bit carried away with painting the calipers and only remembered when partially painted.

20180919_152516.jpg

Was very impressed with the finish out of the box and it does seem that Budweg do a thorough job of refurbishing.

Pads and shoes supplied were Ferodo branded, which may not be everybody's choice but for my, normal road use, are totally adequate.

So the finished job:
20180922_185757.jpg

20180922_185139.jpg

I followed the guide on Pelican Parts for setting up the handbrake shoe expander and found it was a right fiddle on, however, it did seem to work and setting the balance was easy. There is I bit too much travel on the handbrake lever for my liking and I need to take a bit of the slack out to get it just right.

The only small hiccup I had was I ordered a new pad wear sensor, and the part that comes up as related to the pads (BPW 0104) is not correct for the Z3. A phone call later and they are sending a BPW0161 which is correct and I am returning the incorrect part with the calipers.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That's a cracking job, lot's of satisfaction too I suspect. When you take the slack out of the handbrake cables I aim for around 5 clicks.

Tony.

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
I fitted Ferodo pads on the rears before our trip to France this year, so far they seem really good and don't produce any more brake dust than the black diamond ones they replaced. I can't remember the exact cost, about £14.
Nice job on the rear brake refurb @roadvoyager1, looks great.

Steve.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
That's interesting. I have a pair of Budweg calipers and there was no BMW markings on there. I concluded at the time they were newly cast - I'd actually prefer re-manufactured.

I suspect the fronts are cheaper than the rears because there are various BMWs that also use the front caliper but the rear caliper is unique to the Z3 so they sell a lot less.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
The back plate often needs replacing as well. I always spray the whole disc, back and front. The pads will remove the paint in seconds leaving everything else painted.

Reactions: Z3I

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
The back plate often needs replacing as well.

Yes my back plates could do with replacing. Had the replacements in the garage for 3 years. Big job though as I understand, so will try to leave until the wheel bearings need attention.
If you know an easy way to replace them I am sure there are many of us who would appreciate your sharing.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cut, slide, weld. Or strip the hubs.:(

Tony.

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Thought I would share this info. and maybe save people a few pennies. I don't have any affiliation with any of the Companies mentioned but was so impressed with the parts and the prices I felt they deserved a mention

My rear caliper on the drivers side has been sticking intermittently for the past 6 months or so. Whilst front calipers are reasonably priced, rears are far more expensive for some reason. Eurocarparts are asking £172 for the right and £185 for the left; plus £24 against return of an exchange part. Even with discounts there is not much change from £120 a side.

After a fair bit of searching I had almost decided to have a go at refurbishing my old calipers, at around £40 per side, when I came across (via an old post on this forum) Brakeparts, which is the on-line shop for Brakes International. Their price for the rears is £72 plus £36 against return of an exchange part https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/BMW/Z3/96-03/E36~7~8 Z3 2.8 Models/Rear - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders. Thinking this was too good to be true, I looked further. The refurbished calipers are supplied by Budweg, who I had never heard of, however, their website gives all the information I needed about their "remanufacturing" process http://www.budweg.com/reman/reman-process. I also so decided to replace the rear discs, handbrake shoes and, of course the pads. So long as I get the refund for the parts returned total cost will be around £240 which is the same as calipers only (with a 30% discount) from ECP. Postage for the whole lot (as one delivery) was £4.99 and it was delivered within 48 hours.

Here are a few pictures of my refurb

View attachment 88695
Brake discs are from NK- Automotive, with origins in Sweden, however, I suspect they are actually manufactured in the Far East.

View attachment 88696

First job was to apply masking and paint the hub area.

Then got a bit carried away with painting the calipers and only remembered when partially painted.

View attachment 88700

Was very impressed with the finish out of the box and it does seem that Budweg do a thorough job of refurbishing.

Pads and shoes supplied were Ferodo branded, which may not be everybody's choice but for my, normal road use, are totally adequate.

So the finished job:View attachment 88702

View attachment 88701
I followed the guide on Pelican Parts for setting up the handbrake shoe expander and found it was a right fiddle on, however, it did seem to work and setting the balance was easy. There is I bit too much travel on the handbrake lever for my liking and I need to take a bit of the slack out to get it just right.

The only small hiccup I had was I ordered a new pad wear sensor, and the part that comes up as related to the pads (BPW 0104) is not correct for the Z3. A phone call later and they are sending a BPW0161 which is correct and I am returning the incorrect part with the calipers.
Sorry I couldn't make it I had a flat battery. All up and running now so will pop round one day and we can both adjust the handbrake on both cars!

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Cut, slide, weld. Or strip the hubs.:(
Tony.
Yep. Thanks Tony. A job I would only do if really necessary. As I understand it, stripping the hub is a job that even a man of your undoubted capabilitirs would find a bit tough (if not.....when can I book into Zshed Midlands please).

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
I used a 1mm cutting blade to slice through the new bake plates. I was then able to twist it so that I could fit it. I have a welder so welded it afterwards. The plate is very secure when bolted on, it is mainly to keep the elements out so you could just use a little Isopon GRP paste to cover up the slot. Make a real pig of a job an easy one.
As you have twist the backplate it will rub on the disc so check it and just lever the plate back with a screwdriver.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yep. Thanks Tony. A job I would only do if really necessary. As I understand it, stripping the hub is a job that even a man of your undoubted capabilitirs would find a bit tough (if not.....when can I book into Zshed Midlands please).
Sorry to say it's job which requires the use of a press, which I don't posses. Not a easy job at all.

Tony.

Sp02zbr

Zorg Addict
Cut the plate aswell. When I replaced the whole lot Inc pipes and lines

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I presume you cut the plate approx. in line with the top of the caliper, before there is a return edge. Is that correct or did you find a better place?

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
I cut it on the thinnest section, which if I remember correctly was close to one of the mounting points.