Project YouWhyWhy

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Still, suck, squeeze, bang and blow though. It's just the way it happens that has changed a bit. I had the main engine earth corrode away on a 55 plate 2.5 tdi VW Touareg some years ago. How I got it started was to place a jump lead from the engine block to a good earth on the body.

Tony.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Cheers guys.
I think it might just be wishing for the earth strap to sort it, I was really looking forward to a run out this weekend. I don't have much, so my car time is important to me.
Once i get paid it'll be back in the garage for a pro diagnostic and a smoke test, I can't miss out on any more summer!

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I think the bonnet earth strap only comes into play for the heated washer nozzles, but could be wrong.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Anything's a bonus! 😂

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Had a bit of a brainwave about this.
If I can't find an air leak, but the symptoms are there, the problem must be fairly deep in the engine.
Last time it was in the garage, I think they had the inlet manifold off, so maybe they didn't replace the gasket so now it leaks after being disturbed?
I'll check the invoice when I get home on Monday, but sadly I can't take the car back as that garage has since closed.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
I was hoping to get time to have a look at this soon, but I don't really feel confident taking the inlet manifold off so I've booked it in to another garage next week, I should be able to limp it there. In fairness the guy immediately suggested a smoke test, and he also said he won't keep on and on trying things and running up a huge bill 😂 . I'm away on a course for the next week or so they can look at it at their leisure.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
...he also said he won't keep on and on trying things and running up a huge bill...
Will you get that in writing? :whistle: Or say you will just pay for the thing that actually fixes the problem;)
Hope he can fix it for you, then you can get some roof down drives in before Winter:thumbsup:

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well unfortunately things have been rather quiet on the Z front. After being recovered to the garage (my preferred one has unfortunately has closed) last Monday, they finally looked at the car today :whistle:

Various codes and faults according to the diagnostic, o2 sensor, MAF, which I knew about, but more worryingly, lack of power to fuel pump relay (which I thought I had already had rewired), and something like no power to terminal 15? Im not sure what that means apart from probably yet more wiring faults, but they've got an auto electrician in tomorrow to do another job, so they're going to get him to look at it. Whatever, it means my place on the BMW CC Cornwall show stand on Sunday is in serious jeopardy, and to be honest I'm not convinced it will make Sommerfest (although I'll still be going).
What a performance!

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Phoned the garage again today and apparently they have had the Z running. He said' it is a bit of a fill-in job' :oops: , so I retorted that it bl@@dy well wasn't and I want the car on the road ASAP. No point them just giving it me back just about running, I want them to get to the bottom of it so I can trust it to do some decent mileage without breaking down.

If the car is fit to be driven there, it's supposed to be representing the BMW CC Cornwall region at Sommerfest, but I don't really want to set out on a 600 mile round trip unless its sorted.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well finally some possible progress. Apparently the alarm system has been removed, and despite me paying another garage the best part of £600 to sort all the under dash wiring, there are still apparently a lot of random bare wires and dodgy connections. The garage's electrical guy reckons the issue lies with the immobiliser, but he's now on holiday for another week, and they've asked me to try and supply them with a wiring diagram! I thought garages had access to such things! This is just dragging on and on, to be honest as soon as I have the car back on the road I'll be selling it, I think I have basically bought a car that has been badly messed around with and I might as well move it on while it's still summertime and possibly worth something!

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well after my failure to turn up a wiring diagram for the immobiliser, it looks like it's curtains for the Z. It's stuck at a garage I've never used, why it's my responsibility to find a wiring diagram I don't know, I thought that was what Autodata or similar was for. It's already cost me to have it transported there, and I don't see the point in paying for it to be transported back to my house when it can just be disposed of from its current location. It pains me to say it because I enjoyed driving the car for the short amount of time it's been on the road in my ownership, but if they don't know what to do, and I don't understand what is wrong, then I don't see what choice I have but to give up on it. Worrying about it is now starting to make me unwell, so I think it's time to pull the plug.😥

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Isn't the OEM security system shown on the standard z3 electrical diagram?

If they don't have a wiring diagram how do they know what is or isn't missing.

Loose wires could be remnants of some audio system that's since been ripped out.

Or maybe they mean an aftermarket imobilizer one of those that are insisted on by insurance companies. Maybe one was fitted and since ripped out. One of those shouldn't confuse a proper auto electrician though.

Under my passenger side carpet, while stripping out the interiour looking for a leak, I found a totally water logged tracking device obviously installed by the previous owner - or are they fitted OEM? In any case it ended in the bin. I cleared up the wires best I can but they're still in there ready to confuse some future owner.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
I think its the alarm that has been ripped out.
The problem they believe lies in the immobilser circuit, but I know nothing about car electrics or the various names and acronyms for BMW specific parts as I've never owned any other BMW vehicle.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I'm not sure the alarm system could be ripped out without codes showing. I just need to disconnect a door contact and my code reader tells me about it. Can't imagine code reader being oblivious to major parts of security system being 'ripped out'

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
No nor me mate. There is a large list of various codes, hopefully if they can make use of these diagrams some of them might go away!

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
In fact I'd go so far as to say the alarm system couldn't be ripped out.

There's a system chipset in there called the ZKE. That controls so many parts of the system that practically nothing would work if you took that out. It also controls the alarm etc.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
I wonder if its been just butchered rather than removed completely. I understand what they're saying in that they don't want to go in, rewire everything and present me with a massive bill, but I just feel kind of helpless as its a subject I don't understand, a car I don't know and a garage I've never used before.
I'll keep you posted!