Project YouWhyWhy

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
I think this poor car has suffered some serious wiring bodgery. As well as the rats nest behind the radio, I moved the drivers seat forward earlier to see if I could access the fuel pump, when I found a yellow plug and a load of chopped wires. I assume that whoever put the red seats in found that the airbag sensor (?) plug didn't fit the car, and rather than doing it properly, just chopped it off. No wonder the airbag light doesn't come on when you start it (which I thought was an Mot failure?)
I hate bodgery 😡

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Z is being collected by my local garage tomorrow, so hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this.
Going to be busy here, my recently accident damaged Mondeo is being taken away for assessment (worryingly, by Copart.......) and a hire car left in its place. Obviously I told them I couldn't live without a large automatic car, so with any luck it'll be something fancy.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well the Z is back and better than ever. It did give me a scare when I started it today with the fuel gauge reading zero, but £20 worth at the garage round the corner bumped it back up to over half full, so I guess the level sensor must have decided to play up.

Once that was sorted I had a great drive out for an hour or so, it's nice just to go out with no reason other than just for the fun of it.
IMG_20220305_132820.jpg

IMG_20220305_135753.jpg

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well as per my thread on cutting out the Z has been back in the garage again.

They've sorted out another rats nest of wiring behind the radio (which is what it was booked in for!), but unfortunately the Jeff Bezos special I attempted to fit died as soon as it was powered up, so they've left a ISO plug ready for me to sort out something better.

As to the running, they cleared all the codes and took it out for a run, after which the cam sensor and O2 sensor codes came back (no sign of that odd rushing noise - I'm starting to think I imagined it!), so they're sorting that for me hopefully by midweek. Then all I have to do is bung in a radio, give it a quick polish, take out a mortgage for a tank of petrol and head for it's first show of the season at Castle Combe next Saturday.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Got the car back today - what a difference! I always assumed the idle was rough due to the stupidly large bore exhaust, but a bit of fettling has worked wonders. The timing must have been way off, which I guess was sorted out by the new cam sensor. Went for a drive for no good reason and fingers crossed all looking good.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Hi guys. I've now found that the boot lid won't open. I can't turn a key in the lock, but it looks like it's been screwdriverd before. The lock button doesn't seem to be connected - would anyone be so kind as to PM me with a workaround or anything to try?
Cheers!

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Don't worry! I'm in, and it's been done before too! Thanks all👍

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Since you got the cam sensor done have you tried reconnecting the blue hose back onto the fuel pressure regulator.
Stephen.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Yes I have mate, I did that beforehand. It didn't seem to make any difference at all!

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
I don't understand why you would disconnect it!

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Made a decision on my spare wheels.
Much as I would like to have them refurbished, I only have enough money to either have that done, or buy a decent set of tyres.
So I'm going to just touch up the edges for now, then get tyres fitted and balanced. To be honest they're no worse than the ones on there, which I can then sell on and put the money towards a refurb later this year.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Got some work to do on Saturday, I've got a new coil, plugs and leads to fit, plus a secondhand boot lock kindly supplied by @spurs fan in a coupe.
Then I can refit my rear badge - I'm still going to keep that little screwdriver in the car though just in case....:)

If the electrical items don't cure the rough running, I'm then going to start on a vac leak hunt.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well some progress today. The car started second turn of the key, so I checked as many hoses and gaskets as I could, sprayed some easy start around to see if it was being drawn into the engine anywhere, but all seems ok. Went to move the car onto the drive way and it cut out once, but restarted straightaway.
Fitted new ignition parts, the plug at the front of the engine was a bit wet and the other three were quite dark, maybe a bit darker than I'd like. Went fairly well apart from having to go out halfway through to get a new spark plug socket as the rubber grip had disappeared from mine. Rear plug was a bit awkward with the strut brace in the way but managed it eventually (I'm really no mechanic). Started engine, cleared all the codes, after a good drive the car seems to be running well and the codes haven't returned. I'll be interested to see what happens on the next cold start, but I'm hopeful I've at least improved things. Much as I enjoy annoying my Mrs with the stupidly loud exhaust, it can't be helping the general running so that will probably go soon.

Next job was to fit the new boot lock, this was a bit fiddly for my fat fingers but works well. After than I touched up the paint around the boot badge, and refitted the badge.

Once I'm back from holiday I need to tackle the brakes, the front left caliper is dragging and the drilled and grooved discs currently on there really have seen better days. More expense!

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
I removed my calipers to do a refurb and got all my new pistons & seal kits along with new nipples from https://www.biggred.co.uk/ it gave an excuse to give them a good derusting and painting. Prior to doing yours if the bleed nipples have not been touched in year use a few days to apply some penetrating fluid on them and use a socket on the nipple and hopefully they won’t snap off like mine but we’re very crusty calipers.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Well the best part about my new working hours is a 3pm finish. With the lighter evenings this gives me plenty of car fettling time.
Got a few jobs for this week, I'm going to have a go at cleaning the MAF to see it makes any difference to the hard start/rough idle I'm still experiencing (I promise I've tried my hardest to find a vac leak!), clean out the space that the hood drops into and see if I can save the rear window by using some polish designed for the purpose.

My lovely Style 18s are still sadly sat in the garage, the money for tyres won't be forthcoming for another couple of months.

BoxClever

Zorg Legend
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
None currently
Great thread, just read through it all and it is inspiring - I'm a new Z3 owner and I'm sure i'll have list of things to do once i get over the euphoria of booting it around the country lanes near me!!

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I'm sure i'll have list of things to do once i get over the euphoria of booting it around the country lanes near me!!

So your still driving it like you stole it :whistle: :D

Like it :thumbsup::racecar: :coolsteer)

Stephen.