newbie question.... What purpose does this support bracket serve

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Provides extra bracing betrween the suspension turrets and stops any flexing of the body tub at the front firming up the handling of the car.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Opinions differ on the effects these have on cars, people who add them swear they improve the handling others will regard them as cosmetic bling. Never tried one on my 1.9 Z3 and make do with the standard factory cross braces that are fitted to my Z4. Rather spend my money on petrol than dabble about with add ons.

SV8Predator

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z4 E89 2.0 Atacama Yellow / Z3 3.0 Topaz Blue
Does anyone who has a very polarised opinion (one way or the other), actually have any experience of driving a Z3 back-to-back with a strut brace fitted and standard?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Unlikely.

Tony.

ExMX5owner

ǝᴉssnⱯ ʎllᴉS
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Did you see the original pic? It a device that's fitted under the bonnet. Nothing to do with the hood.
I was just joking hey, should have typed bonnet liner and not hood liner, under the hood here means under the bonnet usually. in the same way boot and trunk are interchangeable. However "Strut Brace" theory is that they prevent flex and improve handling as a result, I can see how some flex would be minimized if present, however stiffening one strut off the other one does not stop both from flexing together as was my case with a 79 mustang I had to fit one to many years ago now, because I kinda overpowered it, as you do. Under acceleration the torque was trying to tear the front of car off. I made it myself, and it made F$#% all difference, until I tied it back to the firewall in a big truncated triangle , and that only made a small but noticeable difference. and thus started the journey of chasing back the weak spots, all the way to and including the diff. but that's another story. Mexican gearboxes, yee ha...

As to if they make difference on the Zs, in the established configuration. I can't see it, under normal driving conditions. but then I have one of the most underpowered Zeds there are..;)

JMTCW

Last edited:

SV8Predator

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z4 E89 2.0 Atacama Yellow / Z3 3.0 Topaz Blue
under the hood here means under the bonnet usually
I'm Australian, lived here in England for over 30 years now. I've never heard the bonnet of a car referred to as "hood" before, unless you've all become Americanised in the last 30 years.

ExMX5owner

ǝᴉssnⱯ ʎllᴉS
Supporter
Australian Zeds
I'm Australian, lived here in England for over 30 years now. I've never heard the bonnet of a car referred to as "hood" before, unless you've all become Americanised in the last 30 years.
You've never heard the phrase, Let's look under the hood, or what have you got under the hood, ?. Could be a Kiwi thing though, I lived there for 30 years or so.. And yes Americanized we are becoming I think. ;). None the less I'll choose my words with a little extra care in future to avoid any such confusion..;)

For our American Zorg viewers, It,s all good...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
actually have any experience of driving a Z3 back-to-back with a strut brace fitted and standard?
Yes! My first Z3 didn't drive as well as I assumed it should, consulted various sources and the consensus was it would help. Fitted a brace and things felt better. It then went in for it's next MOT and they found some worn out front suspension components (ball joint and shock if I recall). When they carried out the work I asked them to leave the brace off and the darned thing drove spot on without it.

Didn't fit one again to that one or the subsequent afterwards. Have had them on various Z4's but only really for a bit of engine bay dressing rather than any benefit.

The Z3 doesn't need a brace in my opinion, it just needs all the worn and failing components replacing. Do that first, and then if you want a bit of guilt free engine bay bling - fill your boots.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
My 2.8 Z3 didn't have a brace, my 2.2i sport did when I bought it. Difference? None that I was aware of really. On the other hand changing the tyres made a huge difference.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
My E36 M3 came with one from the previous owner. I can not tell if it did any good or not, because it had a ton of mods in the suspension

but I can tell you what happened when a clown rammed me on the front right side at a crossroad.
This bloody thing warped my left side also and ripped the hell out of the metal, totalling the car.
So… no…

Peter12345

Daughter in-law's old E87 BMW 120D has one from each strut to middle of chassis. Standard fitment as far as I know, so maybe the E87 was a bit wobbly ?

1668522376921.png

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Do lesser cc models also have this? The 120 has tons of torque from what I read.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto