New daily shed

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
7 months and 10.5k in to ownership (now on 173.5k miles) and the costs continue to mount. New handbrake mechanism (needed a new push button) £15 and £3 for a new brake light bulb. A second trip to the hand car wash has now brought the valeting and detailing account to £14.00 :D

Seriously though, really wanted to give @t-tony a quick update after using a couple of pots of Forte Advance Diesel cleaner he gave me at ZedFest :thumbsup:. Whacked both bottles in on quarter of a tank which has made a marked difference in how the car is running. It's still smoking a little on start up, but haven't see the clouds it's produced previously. Definitely running smoother, more power low down and better MPG from what I've seen so far.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Glad it's helped mate.:)

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
So a new chapter for the daily shed, the Polo has gone! I've been looking for something a bit newer, more refined and lower mileage. A family member needed a car as the clutch had gone in theirs so seemed like a good time to pass the Polo on.

I just picked this up this morning - 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.7tdci Design with 84k miles. Body work isn't the best, it's straight but light scratches everywhere which will likely machine polish out. Rear bumper has been patched a bit, but not real damage just touch parking marks (despite parking sensors). Interior is great nick apart from a split in the drivers bolster, well spec'd as it's a Design model. It's a daily, so likely to have no time spent fixing any of the things I've mentioned... :whistle:

Obligatory clean pics before it begins it's life going 3 months between washes :D
IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Looks a tidy motor Gaz :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Don't tempt providence young Albert:thumbsup:=)):facepalm:

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
So a new chapter for the daily shed, the Polo has gone! I've been looking for something a bit newer, more refined and lower mileage. A family member needed a car as the clutch had gone in theirs so seemed like a good time to pass the Polo on.

I just picked this up this morning - 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.7tdci Design with 84k miles. Body work isn't the best, it's straight but light scratches everywhere which will likely machine polish out. Rear bumper has been patched a bit, but not real damage just touch parking marks (despite parking sensors). Interior is great nick apart from a split in the drivers bolster, well spec'd as it's a Design model. It's a daily, so likely to have no time spent fixing any of the things I've mentioned... :whistle:

Obligatory clean pics before it begins it's life going 3 months between washes :D
View attachment 66853

View attachment 66854

View attachment 66852
It's a nice looking car!!!!.....Best of luck with it Gary. Every mile on that is one less on the Zed...................Frankie

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
From what I've read it should be, and also has a 6th gear which should help. Just googling at the moment to see if I can retrofit cruise control to it, half my 70 mile round trip is dual carriageway.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
She's a beauty Gaz! Be fine for going up and down the A34 in. 10 years motoring left in that bad boy. :)

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
Just love the Three months between washes... you sure... three... thought it was annual washes for your daily motor... and three for the Z4... :whistle:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The daily gets a regular wash at the moment while it's on learner duties with the kids. Then every three months, although with it getting to winter who knows!!

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Looks tidy enough Gaz, for a daily at any rate.:thumbsup:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
There is an old adage - "never trust a car salesman"... "I'll get it serviced before you collect it" he said...

Out of interest (and cynicism) I checked the air filter :bag: Grabbed one from Halfords, then noticed the air feed wasn't connected to the air box. So, that's awesome... All connected up again, and she's a little livelier now....

Car salesmen eh, gotta love 'em... :mad:
upload_2017-10-4_14-53-44.png

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
When they serviced, at best it will be oil and filter.:(

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Yeah, now the cars been resting for 30 mins I just ran out and checked the oil level and the oil looks fresh. Never mind!

Oh, and the most annoying thing about this car is.... no hydraulic struts on the bonnet, several times now I've pulled down on it and wondered why it doesn't wanna close.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Another minor issue with the new shed in that after about 15 miles of driving the speedo starts reading inaccurately. Quick Google suggests that the speed sensor is the likely candidate, and that fits on to the drivers side hub.

Rang Vauxhall as although they are dirt cheap on eBay but no chance of it arriving in time for my day off yesterday. Cried a little when the parts guy told me £39, but I needed one... Woke up yesterday morning and thought I'd try Eurocarparts, only to find that they wanted £55 for one. Tried the discount code on the front page of the website and it came down to..... *drum rol* ...... £40. Seriously, they clearly think we are all thick as planks. Whack the prices up and then apply a discount code to get it to the standard price :mad: So, unusually a main dealer out prices a motor factors. Clearly pays to check beforehand.

It was of course the perfect pig of a job to remove the sensor as it was literally welded in place with crud and corrosion from the hub. Ended up having to drill it out, but all good today after a 70 mile round trip to work

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Very often, on many makes, genuine parts are very competitive on price. Always worth a phone call. The big difference is usually that Factors have far better delivery system.

Tony.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Another minor issue with the new shed in that after about 15 miles of driving the speedo starts reading inaccurately. Quick Google suggests that the speed sensor is the likely candidate, and that fits on to the drivers side hub.

Rang Vauxhall as although they are dirt cheap on eBay but no chance of it arriving in time for my day off yesterday. Cried a little when the parts guy told me £39, but I needed one... Woke up yesterday morning and thought I'd try Eurocarparts, only to find that they wanted £55 for one. Tried the discount code on the front page of the website and it came down to..... *drum rol* ...... £40. Seriously, they clearly think we are all thick as planks. Whack the prices up and then apply a discount code to get it to the standard price :mad: So, unusually a main dealer out prices a motor factors. Clearly pays to check beforehand.

It was of course the perfect pig of a job to remove the sensor as it was literally welded in place with crud and corrosion from the hub. Ended up having to drill it out, but all good today after a 70 mile round trip to work
This is the problem with all the motor factors pricing.

40/50/60/70% off etc is all b*******s.

A percentage off what?

Dealers are quite often really reasonable as they need to compete too