My Z4................... My way.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
As you know I bought myself a Z4 3.0 last August having found it on eBay and watched it for a long time before taking the plunge. It was a 53 plate car with 16,500 miles on it and in very nice condition.
014.jpg

There were a couple of things I was aware of from the off, which were the Map disc for the in dash Satnav was missing as was the 6 disc cartridge for the changer. I aquired a cartridge from the US and got map and system upgrade from a man who was recommended to me by Gookah (thanks again)
005 (2).jpg

010.jpg

Now I had music and could find my way around.
As we were heading into the dark nights and winter some of the first things which need attention were the lights.I had some LED's for the number plate lights so they were first. The front sidelights were next, more LED's in here, they look much sharper and more modern. As most Z4 owners will tell you the standard headlight are pretty poor so I treated them to a pair of Osram Nigtbreaker bulbs and these were considerably better. I soon discovered how incredibly useless the boot light was on these cars too, 1 tiny little light stuck right in the corner behind the O/S/R light unit, this would have to be upgraded. So I fitted 2 of these LED strips across the roof of the boot and wired them into the original boot light.
159.jpg
160.jpg

These made such an improvement, a total transformation I could actually see what was in the boot at dark now.
022 (3).jpg

The next thing to catch my eye was a cable which is connected into the rear of the standard head unit and opens up an unused auxiliary port in the unit to allow connection of mp3 devices. Sourced one of these and set about fitting it. You have to remove the main central air vent in the dash to get the head unit out. It's a little tricky at first, like this.
001.jpg

The 2 spring clips on the top have to be held down to allow the vent to slide out of the dash, I used a little pick tool as shown.
002 (2).jpg
003 (3).jpg

There are 2 plastic clips, one at each side. These are similar in principle but easier to release. Once you pull the vent out you will see that the head unit is simply held in place by 2 screws and these are captive to the unit and will not fall out.
004 (3).jpg

Now all back together again.
005 (4).jpg

I mounted the socket end of the cable on the drivers side of the console near to the clip mount for my mp3 player. Well within handy reach for changing tracks etc. without taking my eyes off the road.
007 (3).jpg

009.jpg
010.jpg

Last couple of light mods before winter were these, an overlay decal for my new "clear" high-level brake light. The original red light was broken, the clear one was purchased ready.
020.jpg

011 (3).jpg

009 (4).jpg

Front DRL's are a very good idea in my opinion so some were ordered and fitted as here.
005 (5).jpg

014 (3).jpg

looking good but most importantly very effective. Also see how bright the front sidelight LED's are.

Now I started searching for a right hand rear light unit from a left hand drive car ................................................................................ all will become clear, next time.

Tony.

Last edited:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Keep it coming Tony! :thumbsup:

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Great Title Tony, more updates pls :)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thank you Brian, as soon as I get up another head of steam I'll do some more. It's a good job I started as I've already thought of some bits I'd forgotten about, in only 9 months.;)

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Great thread Tony,:thumbsup: I'll enjoy reading all the things you've done to her.;)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Great thread Tony,:thumbsup: I'll enjoy reading all the things you've done to her.;)
Thanks Dave, it may be a while but it'll get done eventually now I've started.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Only three mate, 2 z.org ones and one to remember Ash.;)

Tony.

ps. I don't count the villa advert.
pps. Bugger! I forgot ole Grumpy ....................................

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Very nice @t-tony :p
The photos are great ;)
Well done :)

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Excellent write up Tony,great detail :thumbsup:
Your zed is certainly unique and personal to you,just how it should be :cool:.

Steve

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Top quality work, mods and write-up as usual mate. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I truly wish I was as driven to improve my car as you are but I just enjoy the drive and hate to take time away. Really like the boot light improvement and may actually give it a twirl! Nice job buddy! JIM

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cheers for that Jim.

Tony.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Saw Tonys car yesterday and I have to say it's looking very well indeed. I did however count 73 stickers on it @hard top!! =))

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
So, while I'm looking for a R/H rear light unit for a LHD car (at the right price) a set of 108 alloys caught my eye complete with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres with very good treads at an attractive price. No contest, bought these with a view to fitting them after they stop salting the roads.
In the mean time the car was fitted with the Turbine style wheels but with run flat tyres. I had removed my hub centric 14mm and 20mm spacers from my Z3 and decided to se what they would look like with these wheels on the Z4.
014 (2).jpg

A nice snug fit which will only be improved with the 108's later on ....................................... only I couldn't wait till later to see what they will look like, so, I put a couple on the O/S just to see.
014.jpg
012.jpg

Roll on spring. Lot's to do before they go on for the summer.

Another addition is my Head Up Display which displays your road speed at eye level on the windscreen. Pictures to follow. So, the HUD, I see BMW's and the like at work with head up displays, and I have to say I really like the concept. I bought this unit while in the USA, it cost about £50, so not cheap, but I thought it a good addition. It comes with a "film" which you apply to the inside of the screen to correct the "blurred" vision which you get from a laminated windscreen and this gives a clear single image of your speed.
010.jpg

The piece they supply is about 3" x 4" but I cut it down to the shape/size you see there.

Tony.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I've read your thread @t-tony here's my question what are you going to do with the fog light or are you going red led your car really nice like what you've done so far

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I liked the other wheels....
So does miller Mike. The 108's much easier to clean and I'm not big on cleaning in all honesty.