Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Do the modules have to be reprogrammed?

The modules can't be cheap? Are they similar to the ones found in the e36s? If so I'll have to shoot myself in the foot as the e36 has literally just gone to be scrapped.

IMG_20160930_172627.jpg

IMG_20161017_131302.jpg

Was probably more attached with the e36 than I am with my zed :'( It's the car I grew up in.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
not sure if there the same, you need to match the part numbers, they were used on the E36 and E46, but they have to be the same part number as the one you currently have, yes they do need coding to work or the car wont communicate with the module, however it will put the light out without coding (assuming yours is at fault to start with) the light goes out as the fault has gone but it wont actually work, so you will have no ABS or ASC, no biggie really. the coding can be done real eas.y with the correct software and cable. I paid about £30 for one off ebay, listed as working (and it was)

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
If in theory if I swapped out the module in my main zed and stuck it in the project zed would that let me know whether the module is at fault or not? Because if the module is at fault after swapping the modules the light should go off?

Both my zeds are 1.9 and were made in the same year and they are one vin number apart, so one is 5 and the other ends in 7. but despite this I will check the p/n on the modules today :thumbsup:

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Check the type of Abs pump and module if they are number matching then the module is removable by electrical connection and 4 torx screws.
The light should extingush striaght away as the car self tests on start up.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
IMG_20161119_155856.jpg

This Chrome Headlight Switch works perfectly - i.e. when you turn it, it correctly adjusts the intensity of the interior lights. However, the one in my zed cuts out when turning it, it'll flicker on and off. I wondered how hard it would be to swap the two, and whether the piece missing -- right underneath the switch can be bought separately?

IMG_20161119_155828.jpg

IMG_20161119_155832.jpg

Also the bit where the aerial threads into for the radio has got no threads? How is that possible? Is there a way to fix this without replacing the unit - the unit works correctly, it just does not have any threads for an aerial to go into.

IMG_20161119_155603.jpg

Finally - the wiring for the door mirrors, how does it go into its case?

So this is the wiring for the piece that control switch plugs in to.

Thanks chaps!

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
The mirror wiring just gets inserted through the base and then the hollow stem that mounts the spring. Then through the hole right on top of the stem to the motors as far as I recall. Sorry can't help with the other problems. JIM

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@oldcarman thanks Jim. :)

Unfortunately it's never that simple :(

The mirror adjustment switch, which I've shown below:
download.jpg

115720_035.jpg

This switch plugs into this:
pic02.jpg

Now it's the bit that the switch plugs into that has come apart and I need to find out how the wiring goes into the casing.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Unless you have the thread that has broken off the aerial unit you will need to find a replacement and the are normally not that cheap. If you have the broken part you can fix them but it will need stripping down and the wire inside reattached to the part that has snapped off. It's a fairly common problem.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
If you knock the aerial too hard or some little toerag decides they want to steal it without gently unscrewing it, then this is the part that snaps. The aerial comes off along the this part (a ball with thread for the aerial) all in one piece. This is what has likely to have happened to yours and wherever the old aerial is, it will have the top end of that unit still attached to it.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
@oldcarman thanks Jim. :)

Unfortunately it's never that simple :(

The mirror adjustment switch, which I've shown below:
View attachment 45705
View attachment 45706

This switch plugs into this:
View attachment 45707

Now it's the bit that the switch plugs into that has come apart and I need to find out how the wiring goes into the casing.
Hi faheem the pins you have shown should just push into the holes in the plastic holder and lock in place with a tang on the side of the pin or holder.
The pin numbers should be on the back of the switch and wired as this.
Pin 1 black/white
Pin 2 brown
Pin 3 blue/white
Pin 4 green/black
Pin 5 blue/black
Pin 6 blue/green

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@Brian4 You are an absolute life saver! Cheers. Whilst I'm quite capable doing the odd mechanical job (I've fit a clutch in this car) I'm absolutely useless when it comes to electrics, I don't know where to start. But thanks for this mate, I'll test this in a while.

Thanks for the wiring diagram it didn't make the tiniest bit of sense to me :(

@g8jka Wouldn't surprise me if it has been nicked. If I take the aerial from my main zed and place it on top I do actually get very good radio reception.

It's a shame you can't get a female thread and secure that in place and then screw the aerial down in place. (I hope that makes some sort of sense)...

What is the actual piece called if I did want to buy it?

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
@g8jka Wouldn't surprise me if it has been nicked. If I take the aerial from my main zed and place it on top I do actually get very good radio reception.

It's a shame you can't get a female thread and secure that in place and then screw the aerial down in place. (I hope that makes some sort of sense)...

What is the actual piece called if I did want to buy it?
You could just glue that one in place then ;)

It's probably called an antenna/aerial unit/base. Sometimes they are as low as £40 but normally a bit more, try and search the part number as they are fitted to E36 cabs as well. You can just unscrew the top part and repair that but it is unlikely you will find one without the whole unit attached.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@g8jka ...and to think that we just scrapped our E36 about 3 weeks ago :( Thanks for your help though, appreciate it :)

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Sorry @Brian4 I somehow missed that message.

But thanks for the very kind offer. If ever I need any help I'll give you a shout :)

Problem is I can't bring the project zed until it's got an mot.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Sorry @Brian4 I somehow missed that message.

But thanks for the very kind offer. If ever I need any help I'll give you a shout :)

Problem is I can't bring the project zed until it's got an mot.
I meant that I can come to you