MY little Z3 Project

DirtyDog

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Hi and welcome to my project.
Its my first time uploading pictures to the forum so hopefully its all going to be ok.
The car is a 51 reg year, 1.9ltr with 56,000 miles on the clock in Sapphire black.
This is going to be my project for as long as it takes, I was given the Z3 by a family friend.
The car is a Cat D write off which the previous owner was going to do up himself but due to ill health he asked if I would like the car as a project.
The car has sat in a little barn for around 4-5 years gathering dust and getting damp.
As far as we can tell, there is no structural damage, the car runs with no fault showing on the dash.
I am hoping its not going to be anything to major cost wise to get her back on the road, I have a limited budget, I will be sourcing parts from Ebay, scrap dealers, you name it to keep the cost down, but I have lots of time to learn,research and work on the car - looking at the car briefly I am hoping its mainly -
Changing /repairing panels,bumpers,bonnet and new light cluster etc,
Servicing the car - Oils,fluids, filters, brakes,etc..
Interior wise - Seats are very dirty,I think they are leather or maybe leather look ?- unfortunately when the car got damp a bag was on the passenger set so has imprinted its pattern into the seat along with some mildew stains. Again I hope its just a good clean, treatment and recolour. the electric adjusters all work.
The Hood looks in good condition but may require a new window fitting.

Well that's a little bit about the car.
Now I have the car home I firstly intend to remove the damaged panels etc and check the car structurally.
Then make a plan of how Im going to restore her back to the beauty she once was.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Hi and welcome to my project.
Its my first time uploading pictures to the forum so hopefully its all going to be ok.
The car is a 51 reg year, 1.9ltr with 56,000 miles on the clock in Sapphire black.
This is going to be my project for as long as it takes, I was given the Z3 by a family friend.
The car is a Cat D write off which the previous owner was going to do up himself but due to ill health he asked if I would like the car as a project.
The car has sat in a little barn for around 4-5 years gathering dust and getting damp.
As far as we can tell, there is no structural damage, the car runs with no fault showing on the dash.
I am hoping its not going to be anything to major cost wise to get her back on the road, I have a limited budget, I will be sourcing parts from Ebay, scrap dealers, you name it to keep the cost down, but I have lots of time to learn,research and work on the car - looking at the car briefly I am hoping its mainly -
Changing /repairing panels,bumpers,bonnet and new light cluster etc,
Servicing the car - Oils,fluids, filters, brakes,etc..
Interior wise - Seats are very dirty,I think they are leather or maybe leather look ?- unfortunately when the car got damp a bag was on the passenger set so has imprinted its pattern into the seat along with some mildew stains. Again I hope its just a good clean, treatment and recolour. the electric adjusters all work.
The Hood looks in good condition but may require a new window fitting.

Well that's a little bit about the car.
Now I have the car home I firstly intend to remove the damaged panels etc and check the car structurally.
Then make a plan of how Im going to restore her back to the beauty she once was.
Another Zed saved, great news. Good luck with your project and hope all goes well. Be good to follow progress and pick up a few tips along the way.:thumbsup:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Wow poor thing has been through the wars. Good to see another being saved, 56000 miles is nothing, wonder what happened to it considering the low miles?

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Looks like the kind of damage you used to see back in the day after "joy" riders had been out in a car, assuming they didn't torch it.;)

Tony.

windym

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Nice interior colour combo as well, good luck.

Andy

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
The leather clinic will sell you something to remove ink transfer and a heavy duty cleaner that won't remove the colour .
Its going to make a great car when you pull it back to gether :thumbsup:

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Good luck with your project :p

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Good to see yet another Zed being saved from the scrappy. Good luck with your project and keep the pictures coming;)

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
You've some work to do, but as you say you have plenty of time, so good luck with your project, and we look forward to seeing updates of your hard work! Great mileage on the car for the year!

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
good luck with the project, I;m also restoring a z but thats what I do for a living :)

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Best of luck with your project. You'll have her up and running in no time

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Well done DD!
I see nothing scarry in this project. It's doable with low budget and not too much time. It will look perfect in a surprising short time and will reward you double! Very stylish combo.
Wish you goodluck and welcome on the forum; you're on the right place!

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift in Montreal Blue
Interior looks better than mine!

Whilst she will always be listed as a Cat D, that doesn't mean you can't end up with a cheap, fun convertible.

Don't get too lost in seeking perfection, not all cars need to be concours entrants. Get it road legal and enjoy the drive.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Great little project DD, most of the panel damage seems cosmetic and many are bolt on/off panels, well done for saving it. It may just be the angle of the picture but the rear wheel in picture just does not look straight , maybe something to check as well?

DirtyDog

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Well finished work for a couple of days so I managed to get a couple of hours free to start working on the Z project today, hopefully more time can be spent on her this week.
I must speak to my wife and children to come up with a proper name for her -" Z Project " just wont do.
So firstly after trolling through this forum,along with a couple of other "Z" dedicated forums I was able gain some much needed knowledge on removal of some of the damaged panels .

I am going to be posting lots of pictures as I go along for anyone who is interested in the development of the car, or just so people can look to see how things come apart etc.
If I am posting too many pictures , stuff people are not interested in or people want me to try and take certain pics then please let me know.

Jobs completed today -
1- N/S front wing removal. Straight forward task - 4 screws to be removed - 8mm socket required
DSC_0224.JPG DSC_0225.JPG DSC_0226.JPG DSC_0227.JPG DSC_0228.JPG
2- O/S front wing removal
DSC_0230.JPG DSC_0231.JPG
3 O/S sill cover removed - This was a little bit harder - I removed the scuff guard and the plastic trim that runs up the rear wing. then it was a case off undoing the self tapping screws again an 8mm socket.
DSC_0233.JPG DSC_0234.JPG DSC_0235.JPG DSC_0236.JPG DSC_0237.JPG DSC_0238.JPG

My next job will to be remove the front bumper .

Attachments

DirtyDog

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Great little project DD, most of the panel damage seems cosmetic and many are bolt on/off panels, well done for saving it. It may just be the angle of the picture but the rear wheel in picture just does not look straight , maybe something to check as well?
Thanks for the comments Brian.
I had a look at the wheel alignment today after your comment, and thank you for mentioning it.
I think as you stated its probably the camera angle or how the rear bumper is not sitting right that makes it look like there is a problem with the wheel alignment
Both wheels do tapper in a little from bottom to top, but I think its how they are set up camber wise.
Toe in/out wise they look straight.

Mark

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks for the comments Brian.
I had a look at the wheel alignment today after your comment, and thank you for mentioning it.
I think as you stated its probably the camera angle or how the rear bumper is not sitting right that makes it look like there is a problem with the wheel alignment
Both wheels do tapper in a little from bottom to top, but I think its how they are set up camber wise.
Toe in/out wise they look straight.

Mark
They do run negative camber on the rear Mark (which is not adjustable by the way) so it pays to keep an eye on tyre wear and have them turned on the rims before they get too much wear on the inner shoulders. That way you'll get more wear out of them.

Tony.