Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Man you are fast!
Great car, great color!
Enjoy it!
PS: had you the tramling experience or is just a wheel alignment that is really necessary?
Thanks.
The front tyres have worn on the inside edges and the steering is not quite what i think it ought to be so I think its worth seeing where the wheels are pointing first of all. There is an element of tram lining but I think there's maybe more to it than that.

ZTec

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hi Steve, welcome from South Wales. I have no problem with head room as I never have the roof up.=))

Bazza

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome:from me:highfive:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Wow, that's a nice find for a first Z3!

As for alignment these cars so run a bit of camber on the front so wear in the inside edges is normal but worth checking it out.

I see you are also Kent based- it might be worth chatting to Chris @ http://www.kentmx5.co.uk
He set mine up (corner weighting and alignment, camber) last year but also does alignment. They are from a racing background and seems to know his stuff.
Mine was the first Z3 he'd worked on but he knows suspension.

There is also Biddenden Motorworks (who is actually in Dartford). The owner is on here @Martyn Scott
I'll be getting mine up to him for servicing, he knows BMW's but I don't think they do alignment but he probably can reccomend.

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Thanks Dino. I did go into my local Formula 1 as they are within walking distance and advertise that they have Hunter gear on their website. Unfortunately that branch doesn't have it. I'm already booked in to IA Motorsport on Friday morning though so I'll see how that goes.

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
While I'm here....Could someone please tell me if there is a knack to removing the hard top? I can't seem to move the back screw handles and there's not much space to get at them for a better purchase.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
While I'm here....Could someone please tell me if there is a knack to removing the hard top? I can't seem to move the back screw handles and there's not much space to get at them for a better purchase.
Hi Steve, my hard top fitting kit isn't OEM but mine has locking nuts underneath the handles. They are size M24 and you'll need a thin spanner to get it on the nuts. Loosen the lock nuts and its easy to undo the catches.

I don't know if the OEM kit has the same set up though.

Martyn Scott

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Wow, that's a nice find for a first Z3!

As for alignment these cars so run a bit of camber on the front so wear in the inside edges is normal but worth checking it out.

I see you are also Kent based- it might be worth chatting to Chris @ http://www.kentmx5.co.uk
He set mine up (corner weighting and alignment, camber) last year but also does alignment. They are from a racing background and seems to know his stuff.
Mine was the first Z3 he'd worked on but he knows suspension.

There is also Biddenden Motorworks (who is actually in Dartford). The owner is on here @Martyn Scott
I'll be getting mine up to him for servicing, he knows BMW's but I don't think they do alignment but he probably can reccomend.
Hi Steve we do four wheel lazer alignment @biddenden motor works just make sure they toe it out a bit as most people toe these cars in you will get a better turn in with out we also do race set up as well, hope all goes well and welcome.

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Update from this morning. Well the only thing that might have been adjustable was the tracking but it was only a little out and the TREs were rusted up solid! The machine did however show me that at the rear I have 2 deg of camber on one side and 3 deg on the other. My man says this is pointless and only needs about 10 minutes, I think he said. The camber being due to the short springs.

He did do a pretty thorough inspection for me though and the poor steering/handling is almost certainly down to knackered bushes, particularly on the rear subframe and trailing arms. I also need to replace the front wishbones and obviously the track rods/ends and polybush as much as poss.

On one hand its quite disappointing how much needs doing but I can look forward to a much better handling car (I hope).

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
It's a common case and isn't the end of the world. Most of us changed the whole (bushes and wish bone ); I changed too coils and shocks, because lowered suspension (from the German owner) is not suitable in my country and it pop out another car! You will not want to get off it!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Update from this morning. Well the only thing that might have been adjustable was the tracking but it was only a little out and the TREs were rusted up solid! The machine did however show me that at the rear I have 2 deg of camber on one side and 3 deg on the other. My man says this is pointless and only needs about 10 minutes, I think he said. The camber being due to the short springs.

He did do a pretty thorough inspection for me though and the poor steering/handling is almost certainly down to knackered bushes, particularly on the rear subframe and trailing arms. I also need to replace the front wishbones and obviously the track rods/ends and polybush as much as poss.

On one hand its quite disappointing how much needs doing but I can look forward to a much better handling car (I hope).
Steve I had exactly the same issues with my 2.8, handled like a greasy pig!, I was lucky in as much the rear bushes weren't bad and I suspect they had been done at least once prior to my purchase, I ended up changing every thing on the front end plus rear springs, shocks and drop links that with new tryes transformed the cars handling, I went with full OEM parts. Its not cheap but is well worth the cost and effort.
Niall

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)

@Steve Medlock BTW the before I get jumped on by every member who reads this :rolleyes:, I wasn't suggesting OEM parts is the best way, there's lots of options (both cheaper and better quality) I just didn't know any better :( my remark was meant to mean the work is well worth the cost and effort. :thumbsup:

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Thanks
Hi Steve, my hard top fitting kit isn't OEM but mine has locking nuts underneath the handles. They are size M24 and you'll need a thin spanner to get it on the nuts. Loosen the lock nuts and its easy to undo the catches.

I don't know if the OEM kit has the same set up though.
Thanks JR - did get it off in the end - it was tight though.

Martyn Scott

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z

Hi Steve not uncommon for the track rod ends to be seized hearly every BM we do are seized. Well worth poly bushing makes for a bit harder ride but worth it agin al the ones we have done which is a lot all customers say how great the car is after wards. You can buy rear camber bolts to get both sides spot on but unless you are going to race it not really worth it, but change the front lower control arm back bush for the E36 3.0lt ones changes the castors and makes for better handling hope this helps

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project

Welcome Steve, not to scare you in any way! But to share my experience. When I bought my Z it was on lowered springs and it drove decently but it ground out on pebbles. So I decided to replace the springs with the original ones. This however started me on a several month long money spending hunt to make the car handle like a know one should. This has ended up in the replacement of both rear shocks and top mounts (because the lowering springs toasted the originals). Rear subframe bushes and track control arm bushes. After all this the car was much better but still not right, finally I replaced my aftermarket wheels with some original BMW alloys with conti sport contacts all round and all I can say is WOW. Different car from the day I bought it, it still tramlines but that's just a Z for you!

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
"it still tramlines but that's just a Z for you!"
don't give up m8, polly front bushes and eagle F1's sorted mine may have been luck or a combo of that with the sport suspension I don't know :)