Little weep!

B

bonzo

I have a little weep appearing from the left hand fixing (I think) bolt (viewed from the front) on the manifold? thingy that the top rad hose (from the right) and the bottom rad hose (from the left) connect to, fitted to the front of the engine. This is where a bleed vent is shown on the BMW TIS diagram. But I don't have a bleeding vent there!

Is there a safe coolant additive I can use to seal this little weep, a radweld sort of thing? I'm planning to change the coolant sometime soon.

Cheers,

Bonzo.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I would definitely recommend Wynns coolant stop leak Bonzo it is very good. Also Barrs heavy duty leak stop (otherwise known in the trade as a turd) you would see why. Either are good.however when you get to changing the coolant it's advisable to flush the cooling system first to clear any residue.

Last edited:
Z

zedonist

I would recommend fixing the leak with a new bolt and washer although i would assume there is a gasket that has gone rather than leaking from a bolt (unless a bleed screw), which in any case would be cheaper and better than filling your coolant system with gunk, post a picture of the offending leak, will be able to advise you better.

Looking on RealOem on an S54 engine (assuming this is your engine) the manifold is actually the thermostat housing, which has two bolts which go straight into the head and have no connection with the coolant, so if this is the right area it would be a gasket or split housing, post the picture.......

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
If I had to use a coolant additive for sealing my Z3, I would use Holt's RADweld, a UK product. It is same as the "conditioner" that Subaru requires be added to their old EJ (pre-2011) 2.5L SOHC engines. It was to prevent (by immediately sealing) head gasket leaks which commonly develop in the EJ engine. The conditioner was required to added to new EJ engines, and at all coolant changes, up to 2 bottles (which are very small). It evidently leaves minimal residue. I use it in my 2008 Forester.

Last edited:
B

bonzo

Hi guys. Zedonist you are spot on, it's the stat housing/cover. I tried tightening the bolt, but couldn't get the socket over the bolt head to try tightening it as the wider rear of the socket was fouling on something surrounding it. Zelda has to go in soon for an MOT, so I'll ask the guys to sort this gasket/housing out and do a few other bits. Zelda time is limited to the odd blast now as our daughter is expecting the arrival of her third child soon and is a bit poorly. So good old Nanna and Granddad are helping out. She will have 3 children under 3 years of age. I thought she was sensible!!! Our 2 grand daughters are delightful, however, but it's all a bit tiring sometimes, but we love them all.
Thanks for all your replies,

Bonzo.

Z

zedonist

Hi guys. Zedonist you are spot on, it's the stat housing/cover. I tried tightening the bolt, but couldn't get the socket over the bolt head to try tightening it as the wider rear of the socket was fouling on something surrounding it. Zelda has to go in soon for an MOT, so I'll ask the guys to sort this gasket/housing out and do a few other bits. Zelda time is limited to the odd blast now as our daughter is expecting the arrival of her third child soon and is a bit poorly. So good old Nanna and Granddad are helping out. She will have 3 children under 3 years of age. I thought she was sensible!!! Our 2 grand daughters are delightful, however, but it's all a bit tiring sometimes, but we love them all.
Thanks for all your replies,

Bonzo.
Wish them all the best, I have 4 of my own with the youngest only 1, so it's all still fresh in my mind, good luck with Zelda, a new seal should sort the problem then by the sound of it.