Installing new rear window BMW Z3

Philpatton

Zorg Legend
Supporter
At the end of Winter 2021, we had a sunny day and I decided to put the roof down for one last blast before winter finally hit. As I folded the roof back, the rear window had an unnatural fold in it, which I decided to simply pop into place using my hand. As soon as I hit the window, I thought, “that was a bit too hard…” and instantly the window split! After 20yrs, I wasn’t upset with the screen, but more angry with myself. After the initial “oh Christ, what do I do now?” moment, I bought some Gorilla clear tape and made the window water tight for the winter. The tape held up incredibly well, with no leaks, but it was a short term fix until I could get a new window.
I approached BMW for a new window and that was almost £400, various traders on eBay who wanted to see the car first, then come back and do the work which would take a day and at this point I decided to have a go at it myself…what can go wrong?

I read the horror stories from others about almost divorcing their other half, others who had started then quit and bought a new roof etc etc, but it seemed within my skill set to do this simple, zip out, zip in replacement myself.
I spent hours researching how to do it, which provided some guidance, but sometimes, you just had to get on with it. As a boss of mine once said, JFDi. I'll leave it to others to explain the acronym.

So, new window ordered from Germany at €93 delivered and off I went! Window was ordered from here www.Cabrio-Heckscheibe.de. The window was ordered on a Sunday night and delivered on Friday morning by DHL / Parcelforce.

Step 1 - Take photo of old window and convince myself this was do-able….I then took the passenger seat out and this was a master stroke. We definitely needed the space to do the stitching and provide some working room.

Using the supplied tools, I then stripped the roof material from inside the black bead all the way around and went searching for the zip retaining clasp which was easily found.

From here, using a small flat screw driver, I wiggled out the clasp and realised, this was it.

From here, breaking the zip seal was straight forwards with the screwdriver and out popped the old window. Definitely in it now!

I took the opportunity to vacuum out the area behind the seats as the last time this was done was probably 20 years ago! Also a good time to clean down the plastics as they were covered in dust.

Next step was to offer up the window and make sure it fitted. I also left it in the sun, on a black background to heat up the plastic and make it more pliable. This was a great idea as when the plastic cooled down, it was clearly more rigid. Definite tip for others!

From here, we lined up the zips and zipped it in. We had a few false starts where we connected the zips and it was too tight, but on the third attempt we got it just right. Another tip would be to lay the screen on the boot on a towel and offer the internal zip upto the new window. This makes alignment really easy and from here it simply zipped in. We maybe over analysed how to do this, so in the end we lined up the tabs on the zip and in she popped.

Once zipped in, we put a few stitches across the zip to stop it opening again and tried the roof and it worked! The zip stayed “zipped,” and I tried it a few times to make sure.
I then went around fettling the material under the outer bead of the window and that was it. Whole job took about 1hr 45mins, and the result looks brill!

Hopefully this will be of use to others and I can't recommend the supplier highly enough as other UK suppliers were offering the same product for twice the price.
P

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Top job Phil, very well done mate.

Tony.

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Well done! Does 'fettling' involve applying any sealant or adhesive?

Philpatton

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Well done! Does 'fettling' involve applying any sealant or adhesive?
No sealant, and the kit came with double sided tape which I haven't used as the roof material is very tight under the window. I've soak tested the window and it's fine.

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Thanks. I assume that using the tape would complicate the installation somewhat.

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
Great job Phil. I have bookmarked this as I need to do mine ...don't suppose you live near Lincoln so you could do it for me ?=))

Great job! Now you can make money replacing car windows. Such a service is not cheap. Given your experience, you know where to buy sunshades for the Z3 at a reasonable price. Many people have advised me to purchase shades at snapshades.com , but they don't have them in stock for the BMW Z3. So I'm looking for another store with quality car sunshades on magnets. It will be good if they can deliver my order in a couple of days because I don't like to wait. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited:

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
good job congrats for having a go, I used to put an old towel over the window when folding it down and stopped it halfway to ensure the plastic folded correctly.

Terry Crow

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
At the end of Winter 2021, we had a sunny day and I decided to put the roof down for one last blast before winter finally hit. As I folded the roof back, the rear window had an unnatural fold in it, which I decided to simply pop into place using my hand. As soon as I hit the window, I thought, “that was a bit too hard…” and instantly the window split! After 20yrs, I wasn’t upset with the screen, but more angry with myself. After the initial “oh Christ, what do I do now?” moment, I bought some Gorilla clear tape and made the window water tight for the winter. The tape held up incredibly well, with no leaks, but it was a short term fix until I could get a new window.
I approached BMW for a new window and that was almost £400, various traders on eBay who wanted to see the car first, then come back and do the work which would take a day and at this point I decided to have a go at it myself…what can go wrong?

I read the horror stories from others about almost divorcing their other half, others who had started then quit and bought a new roof etc etc, but it seemed within my skill set to do this simple, zip out, zip in replacement myself.
I spent hours researching how to do it, which provided some guidance, but sometimes, you just had to get on with it. As a boss of mine once said, JFDi. I'll leave it to others to explain the acronym.

So, new window ordered from Germany at €93 delivered and off I went! Window was ordered from here www.Cabrio-Heckscheibe.de. The window was ordered on a Sunday night and delivered on Friday morning by DHL / Parcelforce.

Step 1 - Take photo of old window and convince myself this was do-able….I then took the passenger seat out and this was a master stroke. We definitely needed the space to do the stitching and provide some working room.

Using the supplied tools, I then stripped the roof material from inside the black bead all the way around and went searching for the zip retaining clasp which was easily found.

From here, using a small flat screw driver, I wiggled out the clasp and realised, this was it.

From here, breaking the zip seal was straight forwards with the screwdriver and out popped the old window. Definitely in it now!

I took the opportunity to vacuum out the area behind the seats as the last time this was done was probably 20 years ago! Also a good time to clean down the plastics as they were covered in dust.

Next step was to offer up the window and make sure it fitted. I also left it in the sun, on a black background to heat up the plastic and make it more pliable. This was a great idea as when the plastic cooled down, it was clearly more rigid. Definite tip for others!

From here, we lined up the zips and zipped it in. We had a few false starts where we connected the zips and it was too tight, but on the third attempt we got it just right. Another tip would be to lay the screen on the boot on a towel and offer the internal zip upto the new window. This makes alignment really easy and from here it simply zipped in. We maybe over analysed how to do this, so in the end we lined up the tabs on the zip and in she popped.

Once zipped in, we put a few stitches across the zip to stop it opening again and tried the roof and it worked! The zip stayed “zipped,” and I tried it a few times to make sure.
I then went around fettling the material under the outer bead of the window and that was it. Whole job took about 1hr 45mins, and the result looks brill!

Hopefully this will be of use to others and I can't recommend the supplier highly enough as other UK suppliers were offering the same product for twice the price.
P
good job congrats for having a go, I used to put an old towel over the window when folding it down and stopped it halfway to ensure the plastic folded correctly.
Do you know what double side tape you need to resell the window. Thanks in advance Terry

DeanjayZ

P
Brilliant, and this has influenced me! Ps, did the window kit come with the frame also?

DeanjayZ

P
Hi mate, do you still have the images?

Philpatton

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Hi, I’ve just seen your comment, so apologies for the delay. the Images might be on my work laptop, so I’ll check tomorrow.
the window came with the outer bead and zip and is still good now.
P

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
I remember when mine split and i went to the local BMW stealer, the mechanics or should i say fitters were running for cover...not interested, too difficult and that was another member of staff who told me.