M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Only 13 it's a baby :)

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The switch serves as a simple way to interrupt the off-load current for electronic components on vehicles which are not in use (being transported, in storage). This increases the obligatory interval between battery recharging from 6 to 12 weeks (cost saving).
Vehicles that will have a long transport route or those for which longer storage times are envisaged (not in customer's hands), are equipped with this factory-fitted battery master switch.
Note:
The battery master switch is not fitted for all markets.

Google is your friend ;)
I see my Z3 has this switch listed but where would it be on the car please.

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
Wow, this is a great source of information, but I notice two things about my car. First on the Bimer.work site it says mine is an automatic but it is definately a manual and second it says the car was made on 22nd January 2002 but it was not registered until 7th May 2003 nearly a year and a half later, would that be right?

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Wow, this is a great source of information, but I notice two things about my car. First on the Bimer.work site it says mine is an automatic but it is definately a manual and second it says the car was made on 22nd January 2002 but it was not registered until 7th May 2003 nearly a year and a half later, would that be right?
Not sure about the manual/automatic reference but is is known to have such a large time span between production and registration, remember the Z4 was on the cards and sales must have slowed down dramatically. looking at your avatar I see you have an estoril blue 3.0, these were specials toward the end on the Z3 production line.

You can confirm your production date but looking on the front shock towers, one has reference to the car colour and the other has a production date.

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
Hi Brian,

Thank you, your right!, I looked at the front shock towers which confirmed build date and the Estoril Blue. The transmission I assume is simply a typo?

StanW

British Zeds
Updated as the original process (strike through) doesn't seem to be valid anymore. Replaced with a new procedure which does work!

There is an option to save the data as a PDF file, so you can keep it on file.

This works for both Z3 and Z4 models (and pretty much any UK BMW too!) and all you need is the last 7 digits of your VIN number.
  1. BMW's VIN decoder seems easiest to use.
  2. Go to http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
  3. Enter the last seven characters of the VIN, and the Captcha characters.
  4. That will bring up your Z3's build data.
View attachment 8333

The PDF's look like this when created (using Rosie as an example 2001 2.2i Sport

View attachment 8334
View attachment 8335
View attachment 8336
Couldn't get this website to connect but googled & found another that worked

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cheers Gaz.:thumbsup:

Tony.

2DunnsZ3

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 5 speed roadster
wonder if there is something in the US for our models?

2DunnsZ3

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 5 speed roadster
Printed mine off and slip it into plastick and added to my files. air and factory wood grain.

Dado

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.2 mtec
Just tried the first site posted by Gaz, went straight in and found my car details, all as suspected, proper sport model complete with all //M badges and bits, wheels steering wheel and gear and glow in the dark gear knob, 25% lsd.
Built on 28-03-2002 and registered 01-09-2002 so wasn't long considering the logistics involved.
Thanks for the info.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Can't get either of the links to work for me :(