How to change the Digital clock into Analog clock?

sobe_on

Hi

I have bought the facelift console panel with the analog clock to change my old one but I got the problem and hope anyone can help : (

1. The Uncoded clock have 3 insert but I found 4 wire for the old Digital clock.
2. The function of these 4wires I can check by myself (power/ ground....etc), but the question is I can't check the function for that 3 hold on the analog clock ,

so, any dude can tell me this matter ?

1 = ?
2 = ?
3 = ?

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Hi Sobe_on,
I imagine that you have solved the problem in the past year:happy: , but just in case somebody else wants to make the same change, here are the answers:
3) the clock connector http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=15
code. 61136931929
PIN 1 - wire red/ orange
PIN 2 - wire brown
PIN 3 - wire red/ purple

I always found very unappropiate the digital clock on the dashboard of the Z3, a so classic car! Fortunately BMW noticed the failure :pompus: and on the face lift model they changed the digital with analog clock which is much, much better. If you take into consideration that brightness of the digital clock is halved when you turn on the car lights, the digital clock is useless during day light! :grumpy:
I suffered always because of the look of the digital clock but when I have seen on Ebay the armwatch "BMW Z3 Individual", limited edition 5000 units, having the same design with the analog clock Z3, but smaller diameter I start to think to the following project, that I realized last week end: I replaced the digital clock with a hand watch with some hobby labourforce.
Being a little bit lazy :rolleyes: and not willing to spend too much money (for the console, clock OEM, connector) I made a reversible proposal which change the dashboard look and allowed me to read the clock during the day trip. (For eagle eyes has even the calender day number!) .
- a year ago, I bought from Ebay the watch with 20 EUR;
- I made a plastic mould and a fiberglass box for the clock;
- I sanded and adjusted the box to the requested dimensions and sprayed with primer and black mat.
- some safety brackets for the rear side and here it is.......
Do you think it's acceptable or it's more a kitsch?:)
rsz_1p1300733.jpg

rsz_p1300734.jpg

rsz_p1300751.jpg

rsz_p1300754.jpg

rsz_p1300759.jpg

Last edited:

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hi Sobe_on,
I imagine that you have solved the problem in the past year:happy: , but just in case somebody else wants to make the same change, here are the answers:
3) the clock connector http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=15
code. 61131383738
PIN 1 - wire red/ orange
PIN 2 - wire brown
PIN 3 - wire red/ purple

I always found very unappropiate the digital clock on the dashboard of the Z3, a so classic car! Fortunately BMW noticed the failure :pompus: and on the face lift model they changed the digital with analog clock which is much, much better. If you take into consideration that brightness of the digital clock is halved when you turn on the car lights, the digital clock is useless during day light! :grumpy:
I suffered always because of the look of the digital clock but when I have seen on Ebay the armwatch "BMW Z3 Individual", limited edition 5000 units, having the same design with the analog clock Z3, but smaller diameter I start to think to the following project, that I realized last week end: I replaced the digital clock with a hand watch with some hobby labourforce.
Being a little bit lazy :rolleyes: and not willing to spend too much money (for the console, clock OEM, connector) I made a reversible proposal which change the dashboard look and allowed me to read the clock during the day trip. (For eagle eyes has even the calender day number!) .
- a year ago, I bought from Ebay the watch with 20 EUR;
- I made a plastic mould and a fiberglass box for the clock;
- I sanded and adjusted the box to the requested dimensions and sprayed with primer and black mat.
- some safety brackets for the rear side and here it is.......
Do you think it's acceptable or it's more a kitsch?:)
View attachment 4111
View attachment 4112
View attachment 4114
View attachment 4115
View attachment 4116
WOW!!!!!!!! What a beautiful job!!!!!!!!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cool job Zeti and just goes to show there is no limit to our abilities and imagination.:scorecard:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Brilliant job Zeti, well done. That's a credit to your ingenuity.

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Thanks guys! :thankyou: "Winter work" when I'm nostalgic for the wheel drive of the Z, but in two months we will be back on the road again!:)

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
I have long had the same complaints about the digital clock. Thank you for showing me the light!

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I can't wait till my car gets here. That was one problem that needed solving that I noted in the pics the seller sent me. Can't figure how a rectangled digital anything got approved for production when everything else is circular. Nice job. JIM

zerolam

i have installed E30 clock into my Z3. Although need a little bit modification the panel, quite happy the outcome.

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Yes, show it to us!:)

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
I third that - Zerolam please educate us....
I understand it involves widening the opening in the dash panel to get the bigger E30 clock to fit in the rectangular hole.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I've bought an Anologue clock in a rectangular housing from a 97 e36 318i SE saloon. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can see how close it is to fitting the hole the digital is occupying now. Can't seen to figure out how to get a pic loaded on my phone but will post one if I figure it out! JIM

Last edited:

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Upon inspiration from ZETI - I luckily found a rectangular analog wristwatch which seemed to be a perfect fit to modify an old defective Z3 digital clock '98.
The watch face is 38mm high and 36mm wide (Q&Q Quartz model #VR30J002Y)
eg http://www.skroutz.gr/s/5254010/Q-Q-VR30J002Y.html?keyphrase=vr30j002y
I gutted the digital clock.

I proceeded to rework the front casing to accommodate the watch. (Open the front window and remove ribbing along the inner edges). One can machine it properly or botch it with a file & the help of a soldering iron.
I also removed a notch for the time adjuster knob and added some support inside the barely-modified rear enclosure (only removed a notch for the knob)

Here is the final product. An improvement IMO.

After 7 years I can finally see the time before nightfall :)

BTW - if you cannot find the above mentioned watch - there is another watch that will work Q&Q # VQ92J002Y. It has a 38mmx38mm - although it will only fit into the front fascia and not inside the back - if glued into the front fascia -it can be supported by the ledges in the console.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Square-Plastic-Unisex-VQ92J002Y/dp/B007TCHG40

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
It looks perfect and much easier to adapt! Congratulations!:)