How many miles is too many

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
an age old question I know ....

I know it's all about what types of miles as well as how many but a 2.8 Z3 that has done 264,000 miles . Is it too worn ?

There is one on fleaBay with fsh and same owner last 15 years. So it could be well looked after but .....?

What's the forums view please

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
buy on condition not mileage

at that mileage, everything should have been replaced at least twice!

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
As you have already said, it depends what type of life it's had. 260k motorway miles wouldn't hurt it. If the price is right, and if I wanted it, the mileage wouldn't put me off

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I would have to agree with others its all about how its been looked after my skoda has 264k and runs and drives as good as many a car with less than half that milage.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Mercedes used to give prizes to owners with high mileage cars. By high mileage, Mercedes said 500k miles plus.

There was an old 1950's Merc at Duxford last year with 750k miles on it. It was owned by the same family all its life and underwent a full restoration in the early seventies when it had only done 300k miles

Tracy Dee

Zorg Guru (III)
The M44 Massive
That's a lot of mileage to buy at. It's a different thing if you buy low run up high miles you know how it's been used treated maintained.
Personally i would never buy over 100 k all my cars i buy as low mileage as possible with budget allowed.
Different story buying a new car you can run up high or get shot after 3 or 4 years with low mileage saves hassle no repairs and reliability even if a problem covered under warranty.
But high milers tend to be cheap so you makes your choices.
But just my personal view.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
How much history has it got, not just dealer history as that doesn't mean much but what has been routinely replaced.

Toby

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Triggers Broom ? :)

The thing with low mileage cars, they tend to have mainly driven on short in town journeys which isn't the best for them. Engines need to be used and used well - not thrashed all the time, spirited driving tends to work best.

If you are happy with service records and condition, as well as price then shouldn't be a problem - most things can be sorted. Chassis etc needs to be good though.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
If it came down to it you can always replace the engine in a well looked after with excellent bodywork car but it would cost twice if not three times as much to do it with a great low mileage engine with bad body work

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Need to see it and drive it. Could be knackered but also could have plenty refreshed bits. the engine shouldn't need anything, cant recall a 2.8 engine failing and clutches last long but this probably would have a new one which is a bonus if it does..
Even a 60k mile Z3 will need suspension work to drive properly, especially a 2.8, responds very well to fresh suspension.
As you doing a kit car cosmetics not important I guess but chassis and mechanicals are what you need.
Also depends were its been driven, ie at the coast or lots of winters in high grit areas will increase risk of corrosion so need to see it really.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
It looks nice but pity no sports heated seats. Full service history, worth a look. As it's with a dealer plenty of scope for negotiation I think but looks a good one, need to drive it and see.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Don't be put off by mileage. It's worth very little regardless of condition as the mileage will kill any value. I don't know how much it is but certainly shouldn't be any more than £1000.
Buy on structure and drive, if it's solid and drives well give it a go.

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks all for your comments so far. The car is on eBay here at £1795 which is cheap but very high mileage. I am not particularly interested in this one as I would like something to be a keeper. Whatever miles I put on it get it closer to too many.

As I am looking for something to rebody I am after a good model from a chassis interior engine point of view but not body work. That said a good outside should be an indication of a careful owner.

It's an interesting subject. At 264,000 it must be on its third or fourth everything:)

Good point on mileage and age not being the best indicator. I have a 5 year old VW Touran, owned from new and FSH. It's been through two gearboxes ! Tip of the day - don't get a 7 speed DSG box.

Thanks again

Dave

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
It's to expensive with that mileage. I only paid £700 more for mine done 89000 at the time with full history. There's a nice looking one in silver on faceache for £2500 ish done around 110000.

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
If it's your plan to keep it for a good few years and get as much fun as you can in that time then its not an issue. I think the issue comes when thinking about selling. As not many will want that mileage.
To have that much mileage it would have to have been used well which, I'd agree with some, means the engine has been ran well and not very infrequently with low rev low mileage journeys.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
If buying a 2.8, I would likely look for a car with around 100K miles. If higher than that I would wish to see a very detailed service history and the car would need to present very well.
That said, my MC has done 230K but the only way you can tell is by looking at the odometer (according to my Indy). I have replaced all wearing parts as necessary with OEM (mechanical and cosmetic) over the last 12 years or so and I have two folders full of receipts. I'm pleased mileage isn't a factor in value for me now and use the car daily, it's a keeper. My car runs as well as it did on purchase with under 20K miles on it. The most expensive work was a top end rebuild by BMW around 60K miles (camshafts/vanos etc) that cost around £4K (in 2008). We suspected that the first owner regularly thrashed the (company) car when not up to temperature. In fact, the first 100K miles were the most expensive for repairs overall.
So I think i'm saying that there is nothing at all wrong with high mileage providing the car has been well looked after, some may say cherished.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
History -- Condition -- length of ownership (and type of owner) much more important than mileage IMO.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Also type of mileage (motorway etc) is irrelevant at that mileage.

Everything should have been replaced.

Saying that 1800 quid is too much money

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I would pay up to £2K for a 2.8 preface lift, IF the car meets the criteria above, which summarises as you can only tell the mileage from the odometer.:)

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks everyone. All your comments have cemented my view. It's too many miles for me. I was attracted to the price but for 700-1000 more I can find a lot less risk.

Your views are much appreciated. The search continues. :)