Heated? (not even warm) seats

Don N

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3 - 2.8
My 97 2.8 has heated seats - at least, it has two switches mounted between the seats, aft of the console, below the woofer, that are labeled as seat heat controls. They light up, but neither seat actually gets even a little warm. Has anyone solved this problem? I'd rather not take the seats apart, as that could lead to more expensive efforts, spelled R-e-c-a-r-o.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Guessing the first question is whether it does actually have heated seats or not? Next I'd pull out a switch and see if it's connected to anything, because I thought that the heated seat switches were always in front of the gear lever, not at the back. Perhaps they've been moved, and not connected properly?

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
If you have proved the switches are connected there is a link here on heated seat repair in the knowledge base which I used for ours. It refers to facelift Sport seats but the areas of damage and way of accessing them is likely to be similar.
The multi plug under the seat will be different but does the same job.

Don't forget DO NOT TURN ON THE IGNITION WITH THE SEAT DISCONNECTED or the air bag light will come on.

http://zroadster.org/forum/threads/m-sport-heated-seat-base-repair-wiki-entry-added.1256/

Don N

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3 - 2.8
Thank you Brian - that is a very complete set of instructions. I hope I have the patience and ability to do that project.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
The instructions are easy to follow take your time and if things don't look the same ask on here and somebody will be along to help.

One of the hardest bits is releasing and re-fixing the wire rings holding the cover onto the foam base. (Hog rings).

If you have a test meter when you get the seat out and identify the wires for the seat pads you could test the continuity of them with the test meter at least then you would know where the fault lies.

Thanks to Gookah for writing the instructions in the first place, they helped me.