Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated? (not even warm) seats

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Don N, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Don N

Don N Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    3 - 2.8
    My 97 2.8 has heated seats - at least, it has two switches mounted between the seats, aft of the console, below the woofer, that are labeled as seat heat controls. They light up, but neither seat actually gets even a little warm. Has anyone solved this problem? I'd rather not take the seats apart, as that could lead to more expensive efforts, spelled R-e-c-a-r-o.

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Guessing the first question is whether it does actually have heated seats or not? Next I'd pull out a switch and see if it's connected to anything, because I thought that the heated seat switches were always in front of the gear lever, not at the back. Perhaps they've been moved, and not connected properly?

3. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    If you have proved the switches are connected there is a link here on heated seat repair in the knowledge base which I used for ours. It refers to facelift Sport seats but the areas of damage and way of accessing them is likely to be similar.
    The multi plug under the seat will be different but does the same job.

Don't forget DO NOT TURN ON THE IGNITION WITH THE SEAT DISCONNECTED or the air bag light will come on.

http://zroadster.org/forum/threads/m-sport-heated-seat-base-repair-wiki-entry-added.1256/

4. Don N

Don N Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    3 - 2.8
    Thank you Brian - that is a very complete set of instructions. I hope I have the patience and ability to do that project.

5. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    The instructions are easy to follow take your time and if things don't look the same ask on here and somebody will be along to help.

One of the hardest bits is releasing and re-fixing the wire rings holding the cover onto the foam base. (Hog rings).

If you have a test meter when you get the seat out and identify the wires for the seat pads you could test the continuity of them with the test meter at least then you would know where the fault lies.

Thanks to Gookah for writing the instructions in the first place, they helped me.