Headlight/Indicator Stalk faulty

Bentley

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi All. Wondered if anybody has had similar fault. When driving with the headlights on dip beam and I operate the indicator switch to turn right the main beam comes on as if the switch is being pushed away from the driver. all other functions are fine, ie left turn indicator operation all as it should be, if headlights are not on again all is fine.
I guess I will have to fit a new switch.
Thanks in advance for any help

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Sound like new switch needed which one do you have there are 2 one with trip computer operation and one without

Bentley

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi. I need the one which works the clock OBC. part no 6905025
Been checking ebay but can only find E36 stalk which looks similar but is for a 18 button OBC, perhaps could be modified. I can go to Soper but very expensive new.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Have you eyeballed the switch? Could some crud have fallen in? These switches are generally very robust in my experience.:)

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Go to a maplin and buy a 'contact cleaner' spray. Contact cleaner does magic with sticky contacts like that sort of things...

Bentley

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi. I have the switch out of the car, not much to see, have tried switch cleaner but no improvement. Did consider taking it apart but it looks like one of these switches that would all fall apart if I drill out the rivets. Still checking ebay as they are £134 new. Thanks for your reply's

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Can you see what is causing the issue?

Bentley

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi @spurs fan in a coupe. I am in need of a stalk combination switch for my Z3 it has the enhanced clock OBC. I have attached a picture of the old one, it has 2 wires coming out of the stalk by the main switch. The part number is part no 6905025. Thank you for your help
Ben

Attachments

Bentley

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but I believe that I have fixed my combination switch.
I connected the main beam contacts (yellow and white wire,pins 4 and 5 on the x32 connector) to a bulb and battery to make it easier to see when the contacts close, and could see that when I pushed the indicator lever up the contacts that close to operate main beam were just touching (they should not be). The contacts are just visible on the LHS of the stalk (see photo). I managed to get a small screwdriver in and push the fixed contact down about 1mm to increase the gap and it now all seems to work as it should
Thanks to all that posted for me.

Attachments