#ZedShed Graham's Topaz 2.2i Sport

Peewee

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 Sport manual
Hi @Lee - did you replace the rear ARB bushes on Grahams car?
If so, what with?
I can't find Sport suspension 16mm dia. ARB bushes anywhere, other than Powerflex purple. @Ade33 and I are trying to see what options there are.
Thanks
Peter

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Hi @Lee - did you replace the rear ARB bushes on Grahams car?
If so, what with?
I can't find Sport suspension 16mm dia. ARB bushes anywhere, other than Powerflex purple. @Ade33 and I are trying to see what options there are.
Thanks
Peter
Hi Peter

I always order these in 15mm or 16mm, they blend in nice.

For BMW Z3 16mm Rear Anti Roll Sway Stabilizer Bar Bush Kit - SuperPro Poly SPF0 | eBay

You can get the rubber OE bushes from AutoDoc but they take a week - two weeks to arrive.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Today we finished Grahams Zed. We replaced the water pump and now the engine is all silent when idling. We then got her MOT done and she passed with flying colours. At Grahams request we’ve stuck her in Zed storage next door till he’s ready to use her.

Old pump out.
IMG_2487.jpeg

The old bearing barely turned by hand. It was not happy.
IMG_2486.jpeg

Strangle didn’t take many photos today. Another test drive done today too. Will also do another drive when Graham is ready to take her to the road.

david.rice

British Zeds
Model of Z
Great write up, really enjoyed reading it and it's given me a bit of motivation to get back to mine which has now been on axel stands in my drive for nearly 2 years now.... 😔

Last year was a write of due to a shoulder injury (frozen shoulder) but being outside isn't great! Chances of being off work and it not raining is pretty slim! I've got nearly all the bits other than a few rubber that I probably should do whilst it's in bits ( engine &, gearbox mounts etc) so just need the time and weather to crack on with it!!!

I do have a couple of difficult repairs to do at the rear shock to mounts where the rust has eaten through. Have you ever come across this before?

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Great write up, really enjoyed reading it and it's given me a bit of motivation to get back to mine which has now been on axel stands in my drive for nearly 2 years now.... 😔

Last year was a write of due to a shoulder injury (frozen shoulder) but being outside isn't great! Chances of being off work and it not raining is pretty slim! I've got nearly all the bits other than a few rubber that I probably should do whilst it's in bits ( engine &, gearbox mounts etc) so just need the time and weather to crack on with it!!!

I do have a couple of difficult repairs to do at the rear shock to mounts where the rust has eaten through. Have you ever come across this before?

Hello mate, glad it's given you the motivation to get her on the road worthy again.

We don't see it too often but it is an issue we see from time to time. Get a wire wheel up there and see what good metal is left, plenty of mobile welders if you needed a hand.

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
Fantastic work and a great result
May I ask the total cost?

Oh and are later Zeds more prone to corrosion? Or are we working with 20+ year old cars and have to accept corrosion as part of the game?
I have a similar 2.2 Sport and I’ve just had the trailing arms replaced
new front wings and sill covers fitted
new brakes all round etc.

looks lovely and all good underneath

probably should sell now it’s all done but it’s hard

mondo

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Fantastic work and a great result
May I ask the total cost?

Oh and are later Zeds more prone to corrosion? Or are we working with 20+ year old cars and have to accept corrosion as part of the game?
I have a similar 2.2 Sport and I’ve just had the trailing arms replaced
new front wings and sill covers fitted
new brakes all round etc.

looks lovely and all good underneath

probably should sell now it’s all done but it’s hard

mondo
Hi Mondo,

The total cost on each car varies, the base cost is £1450 + the cost of parts.

In this the hours are essentially unlimited it takes as long as it takes, most people opt for a front & rear Nut n bolt restoration and some want the gearboxes overhauled with all new bits in this. Then its onto the snagging of little niggly fixes.

The average cost is coming in around £3000-4000. Then goes up the more shinny parts you want or modifications you want. Some owners are very specific with brands of parts and some owners want all the upgrades.

Hope this helps :)

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
Keep up the good work
I think I’ll need a LSD diff refresh at some time
No whine as yet but get a weird groaning sound as I pull away sometimes.
same can said for the car!

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Keep up the good work
I think I’ll need a LSD diff refresh at some time
No whine as yet but get a weird groaning sound as I pull away sometimes.
same can said for the car!
The second option we do is the Quick n Dirty, drop the subframe and replace the key bushes for £495. This seems to be the most popular at the moment as most garages wont touch this job.

You know where we are if you need any help.

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
I'd highly recommend the quick and dirty for those on a budget, but who want to instantly transform their cars handling.
The only downside I have found so far is I no longer have an excuse for my crappy slow driving :cool:

Peter1450

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Lee do you have a price for 4 x stainless exhaust flanges please? 3.0 if it makes a difference