g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Time to say Goodbye

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Latest Mods (Jan 2012)

One of my favorite cars love all the mods you've done, great idea with the new lights in the boot

Si-forks on tapatalk

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto

Hi Dave

I've been thinking of putting footwell lights in ours. Where did you connect the wiring up to and also for the glovebox light.

The car is looking really good credit to you

Brian

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster

Brian4 said:
Hi Dave

I've been thinking of putting footwell lights in ours. Where did you connect the wiring up to and also for the glovebox light.

The car is looking really good credit to you

Brian
You will need to remove the interior light and tap into the two wires coming off it and run new wires down to the footwell / glovebox depending where you want the new lights (or at least the positive wire at the interior and you can earth it somewhere nearer to the footwell). This way they will operate in the way that your normal interior light does. Dims on and off when the doors open / unlocked and can be turned on and off with the interior light switch etc :D

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster

Managed to fit my new chrome exhaust trims today, and gave the inside of the exhaust a little polish

From this
ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_000_0017.jpg

To this
ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_000_0025.jpg

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_000_0027.jpg

Looks much better :D
Although I don't know whether the design has changed or what even thought the part number is right, but when they are fitted correctly they seem to be upside down, as the retaining bolt is on the top of the exhaust and not underneath making it pretty pointless as you cant get a screwdriver in to do them up. I had to change them for a couple of bolts. And this is the only way they will fit otherwise they don't follow the lines of the bumper as they are designed to.

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Looks a lot better now, you got that front splitter on yet? :D

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster

Daz3 said:
Looks a lot better now, you got that front splitter on yet? :D
Yes its on now :D

Hopefully if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll give it a good clean and get some pictures posted of the new front end ;)

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster

Managed to give it a clean today before the rain and got a few photos of the latest mods :D

Firstly I have fitted a carbon fibre style bonnet grill which matches in with the carbon fibre badges nicely and makes the front look a little more aggressive

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_104_0326.jpg

Also got the mesh grill fitted into the bumper recess and my new Rieger lip fitted to the bottom of the bumper. It came back from the bodyshop last week with the lip fully sprayed and whilst it was in I had the whole bumper sprayed again so its nice and fresh

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_104_0331.jpg

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_104_0335.jpg

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_104_0329.jpg

Had another parcel turn up today, bit of a bargain I thought ...

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_000_0031.jpg

A genuine BMW rear screen, brand new, still in the BMW box all sealed up with correct tools etc for £60 :-o
This will be fitted when the hardtop is removed in the spring.

Finally the car as it is at the moment, it won't be getting any more money spent on it now for a long time!

ai470.photobucket.com_albums_rr64_g8jka_BMW_20Z3_104_0333.jpg

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M

spot on..! :-bd

B

badman gee

Looks great,

Such a wonderful colour too!

:D

shantybeater

Dedicated Member

Looking good, the front splitter cleans things up nicely.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Latest Mods (Nov 2012)

Its been a busy summer again and since my last update back in January :shock: I have added lots of smaller additions to the zed.

A while back when I installed the led strip lighting I also connected up my angel eyes / sidelights to the interior lighting. This means that when the interior light comes on, so do the angel eyes. This was mainly so that when the car is unlocked via the key button, the ignition light illuminates and so do the angel eyes and when the car is locked the interior light dims and so do the angel eyes. Fitting a relay into the system means that the angel eyes only come on / go off when the interior light illuminates / dims not vice versa when the angel eyes are switched on. Looks quite cool and is good especially at night when its dark :)

And a night one

A few changes were made to the interior, I got my new centre console in and went for a change from the aluminium centre section fitted previously by covering the standard black trim in carbon fibre and also did the steering wheel tabs to match.

The handbrake and gearstick gaitors were fitted and so was the new headunit, an Oxygen O car with bluetooth and fully integrated iPhone features. This is a great piece of kit which simply uses your iPhone for full control and plays all your music, videos and sat nav through the speakers and has full hands-free bluetooth calling. It rotates also so that the iPhone can be used in portrait or landscape mode. The mic for the calling was neatly routed up into the A pillar trim.

Also installed were the seatbelt guides on both seats as they never had any as the seats came from a coupe, only a year after getting them it was a job I was putting off but in the end it was pretty simple and so much better no not having to reach behind the seat for the seatbelt.

For the exterior I changed the front brake carriers (and one sticking caliper) for some larger ones off a 3.0 Z4 meaning I could fit the bigger 300mm discs and painted the calipers again along with the discs to keep them looking fresh. The brakes seemed a lot better and it was a pretty cheap and simple upgrade. Also some 5mm spacers were fitted to the rear wheels to push them out slightly further.

A new tinted wind deflector was made and fitted with some stainless steel cable ties so they camouflage against the chrome, some new pressed metal plates put on and I also tinted the reverse lights so they are red all along.

Finally some new mudflaps were fitted to the front arches and I also sprayed the mesh part of the side gills in matte black which made them look a lot better.

All of this was done prior to zedfest and the zed didn't look to bad in the sunshine

So that's about it for this year, the hardtop went on yesterday and I have almost finished refurbishing my new winter wheels, then over winter I will be fitting an ///M console to the interior which will also be wrapped in carbon fibre. I will post up a few pics over the next week when I have the winter wheels finished and on the car :cool:

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Latest Mods (Nov 2012) Pa

Some great mods there I paticularly like the angel eye mod and that oxygen head unit. I have an alpine unit with direct connection to the phone but that one you've got looks a lot more user friendly. Does it charge the phone too because mine just drains the battery playing music?

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Latest Mods (Nov 2012) Pa

Daz3 said:
Some great mods there I paticularly like the angel eye mod and that oxygen head unit. I have an alpine unit with direct connection to the phone but that one you've got looks a lot more user friendly. Does it charge the phone too because mine just drains the battery playing music?
Yes it is user friendly, just the same as using the phone itself but with it connected to the cars speaker system. It stays on charge all the time providing the ignition is on.

I can't get any decent pics of it really as the light keeps reflecting of the phone onto the camera. I will try to get some of the radio app with the colour similar to the zeds interior lights and of the menu etc.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal - Latest Mods (Dec 2012)

Finally I have finished refurbishing my new winter wheels and they are on the car along with the hardtop all ready for winter. Rear wheels have 15mm spacers and fronts have 5mm so they fill the arches a lot better :)

From this, covered in kurb marks and poorly sprayed in a horrible gold colour

To this, with kurb marks removed, a new coat of paint and fitted with my old carbon fibre badges

Roll on the next mod :D

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Re: g8jka - 2.0 Progress Journal

Likin the wheels, they look great, how mine 'should' look.

Where did you get them done and how much did it cost? - PM me if you don't want to make the price public.

Thanks Dave

B

badman gee

nice car gooks, and of course the best colour,

:p

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster

Mint said:
Where did you get them done and how much did it cost? - PM me if you don't want to make the price public.
Total cost was around £60 for all 4 wheels :D I did all the work myself though which took a few weeks as they are a pain to sand back with all the spokes but they look so good now.

Firstly they were all keyed with wet and dry paper and the kurb marks filled in with chemical metal and smoothed over

Next up came some etch primer

Then they were primed both on the front and rear

Next up the front and rears were coated in a couple of layers of nice new silver paint after a quick sand down

Finally they were sprayed with 2 coats of laquer to give them a nice shine and some protection (seen better in first picture)

A coat of colinite 476 wax was added about a week after the paint and fully hardened and the badges added then they were put on the car B-)