Dash Camera

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Good stuff :) i thought mine would rexord more than it does i have just reduced the res. To get it to record longer.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Just got a 32 gb card, thats the biggest it takes so I'm assuming it will hold quite a bit mate
That will last around 36 hrs on constant record if you turn the resolution down. But the dash cam should override the first clip when full, either 2 minute or 5 minute intervals depending on the dash cam.
Mine can either be 3 min, 5 min or constant record.
Also depends if it has gps for logging purposes as you can download software to access where you have been, i am not sure of the names of them as i use the specific one for the Dodd Dash cam

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thats what i got for mine a next base camera but it eats data from full format @ 1080 it its just over 1.5
hours before it starts to rewrite over itself.
I run my 32g all day when driving and it never over writes and is set to 1080

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Must be my camera then have never really been impressed with it the cards clear with correct speed etc.
Gave in with it as it over writes constantly:mad:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I have just checked my server and when on the June Cruise i have footage from 0900 to 1600 in 5 min intervals and thats also on the other dates we were there. I usually carry 2x 32g cards I use one then swap every day. I download the footage at the end of each day, so i always have a card available

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Ant it could be the card you have got !

I had a cheap but supposedly sandisk card in mine that refused to over right which meant me formatting it every couple of weeks. It then packed up altogether so I bought one from Asda when they had half price deals on memory cards and it has worked a treat since. I would suggest buying one from a reputable high street store than over the net.

I suspect the original one I had was a fake as the internet is rife with them apparently. I have heard some of the fake ones although they say they are 32Gb and indeed the computer says they are when you plug them in but in fact they are less than half that and you only find out when they play up like mine did.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
It may well be the card as playback sometimes had been poor.
I'll get another and try it and see what happens

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
That will last around 36 hrs on constant record if you turn the resolution down. But the dash cam should override the first clip when full, either 2 minute or 5 minute intervals depending on the dash cam.
Mine can either be 3 min, 5 min or constant record.
Also depends if it has gps for logging purposes as you can download software to access where you have been, i am not sure of the names of them as i use the specific one for the Dodd Dash cam
Yes just looked on mine and it has 1-3-5 minute intervals

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
So what wire am I looking for guys, I want it to come on with the ignition, either side of the dash will do but would prefer the N/S as I already have an extra cable running up the O/S

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you can get to the stereo connection Sean use a test light to find the ignition switched live and you can tap into that, alternatively look in the fuse box for an ignition fed fuse and use an " add-a-fuse " to get a live wire. You can get these off eBay for around 3 quid.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Sadly - If you buy cheap off the internet you're likely to be getting low quality, and probably are fake cards if they are banded unless you get them from a reputable on-line store. You might be lucky and get a good one. Also, the fake quite often spoof the amount of memory so they report what you expect but they are in fact much smaller.

Even then, I'v had several Sandisk cards fail after constant use in the dash cam - you may not know until you go and pull the files off and they aren't there.

You should get nearly four hours of HD video off a 32GByte card before it starts to overwrite. Go for 720p and you will get much more, but, of course, the resolution will not be as good. You might be able to set the encoding rate to a more aggressive coding to get lower bit rate but again, that will impact the image quality. This is likely to create a jumpy image or blaring of moving things.

If you're using it just as a dashcam for insurance then it doesn't matter of you record over old files. If you're on a cruise that you want the whole event then you will need several cards to swap and download off. Some cams now come with wifi which I expect you can download the files without removing the card or plugging into the cam.

I was told sometime in the dim and distant past that the GPS data is assembled into the encoded video - its actually quite a low data rate typically using a 1Hz refresh rate. Compared to the video its a very low rate. Switching off sound is likely to have a bigger impact but that is likely to be only 3-20kbit/s compared to the video of 3-7Mbit/s so still not a massive data usage.