GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi Steve,
Most interested in your z3 wing mirror fix, might like to take you up on your repair offer as have just experienced exactly the same problem.
Didn't quite understand the procedure though, would be interested to know how it would work, maybe you could let me know, I assume I would need to send you my corroded wing mirror?
Regards Ash
Hi Ash (& welcome of course).

It doesn't look like @Woodsta888 has been around for a while, so I'm not sure the offer will still be available!

There are various fixes for wing mirrors including some chap abroad who manufactures new wing mirror parts in better materials. These 2 threads may be useful -

https://zroadster.org/threads/bmw-z3-door-mirror-fix.5083/
https://zroadster.org/threads/at-last-a-cheap-easy-fix-for-broken-bmw-z3-door-mirrors.4901/

Hope that helps you out some, if not just let me know!

Gary

Ash

Hi Ash (& welcome of course).

It doesn't look like @Woodsta888 has been around for a while, so I'm not sure the offer will still be available!

There are various fixes for wing mirrors including some chap abroad who manufactures new wing mirror parts in better materials. These 2 threads may be useful -

https://zroadster.org/threads/bmw-z3-door-mirror-fix.5083/
https://zroadster.org/threads/at-last-a-cheap-easy-fix-for-broken-bmw-z3-door-mirrors.4901/

Hope that helps you out some, if not just let me know!

Gary
Hi Gary

Many thanks for you welcome and the two useful links, will give them a serious look, have 'bit the bullit today' and tried an adhesive as I needed a quick fix, can't really see it holding up for long but you never know, will keep you posted, thanks again
Ash

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Ash and welcome from near Lincoln.

Tony.

Barry Gadd

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L
Great article on how to repair when wing mirror collet goes bust.
I'm not yet ready to repair my sad looking mirrors but I'm not sure how to remove them.
If I try to rotate them I'm sure the lower section will disintegrate as the mirror feels rock solid and the base starts to open up!!!.
Is there a way to remove without rotating the mirror?
Thanks

Ash

Great article on how to repair when wing mirror collet goes bust.
I'm not yet ready to repair my sad looking mirrors but I'm not sure how to remove them.
If I try to rotate them I'm sure the lower section will disintegrate as the mirror feels rock solid and the base starts to open up!!!.
Is there a way to remove without rotating the mirror?
Thanks
Hi Barry
Try the two links posted to me by Gary a couple of days ago, think you might find them useful, think my problem was different in as much as my mirror dropped off from the door mounting and was just hanging by the electric cable, the housing and paint work was still perfect, just the internal spindle had corroded.
Have since managed to use a welding adhesive which hopefully will last without to many supermarket/carpark knocks
Regards
Ash

HPFirenza

Dedicated Member
Steve. At the moment my drivers side mirror is still in one piece but could break at any time. Before that happens I like your fix for this problem. Is the diameter of the collet/internal diameter of the spring 14mm ? (as it's not broken I can't check the size) I have a small lathe and 14mm bolts are available so would I be better using this size and drilling out the centre rather than the 12mm bolts.

Graham.

Butch

British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi guys an galls.
I know this is an old thread, and i am a new member, so forgive me if i'm preaching to the converted.
Having had my o/s mirror twatted whilst parked, i have searched all listings in an effort to replace at
a reasonable price. (being basically tight!). All i could find were OEM (ouch) or s/hand that looked like
they would snap if twisted!!!
What i have discovered, is a company that supplies a complete new body to which all original parts
are fitted. The cost is £94 each and they look like a good deal.
If i get this right, the company and products can be viewed at x8r.co.uk . I hope this is usefull to members.

T11HMM

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Good detail and write up on the repair of your corroded wing mirrors. My driver side has snapped (unfortunate incident with a wheelie bin) and i'll give this a go in the week.

If anyone else has attempted this fix, it would be good to see if there are any more recent tips on the topic which seems to be a frequent issue...

I see XR8 have bought in a replacement spindle - but i'm keen to keep the original base and from what i can tell that fix would need a touch of paint.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZSQAFJIP0