jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Hi guys,

Might pop over to spectate - that's if the weather improves enough to see anything.
What time does it start and what are the spectator plus Zed arrangements?

Steve H

We're on track at 9am and there's plenty of room for spectators.

Weather is currently looking pretty good :D

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
hope its not wet...... :ympray:
were coming in the ///M for the track and the cooper for brewing up ~o)

note to any passengers....if your looking like this :ymsick: in my car.....you will be ejected at speed :ymdevil:

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
ok full face helmets with visor down only.... :ymsick:

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
swamper said:
hope its not wet...... :ympray:
:
The forecast has been getting better as the week has gone by so fingers, toes and everything else crossed it should be a good day. It is soooooooooooo much better in the dry. :coolsteer)

Note to my passengers, NO DRIVING MISS DAISY JOKES!!!!!!!

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
you get back ok Pete?

well what i good day.....we started with a very green track....had a good few sighting laps then we were let loose.
first lap out there i got it sideways in druids under the trees then it snapped back and ended up sticking it in the gravel and needed towing out :eek:)
no damage done to the car but was rather embarrassed to have caused a red flag and reeled my enthusiastic nature in. :-s
went back out and man the car was twitchy.....back end kept kicking out and the front sliding....proper handful :coolsteer)
the track started to dry and the car started behave its self more but the track was still greasy with some other guys getting caught out as well...but i got some good runs and i started settling and gained more confidence .
then just before dinner i got time with the instructor.......god send..! ...a guy called Chris....top bloke....taught me about my lines...braking...using the engine torque rather than change gears...but most of all got me to run smooth :-bd
this guy managed this in 20 minutes and completely changed the rest of the day...so i started getting out of the way on the straights so i had the corners to my self and practice what i'd been taught......the result was by the end of the day i was getting some good laps in ...to the point were the wife was :ymsick: .... :))
only had one incident after that...when the bakes faded and i had to take the escape route as i wouldn't have made the corners.....after my last lap when pulling away in the car park the right rear brake is making a grinding noise....sounds like iv got stones stuck in the stone guard....but it maybe the pad has failed....i'll have a look in the morning......but its no big deal.....and the rear tyres are now shot :ymdevil:

all in all its been a great day with good mates and watching some quick guys......also being hunted down by Pete :-s ....i let him tell you about his tyres :-o

thanks to Steve H and the rest of the guys for putting this together.......top day top people :-bd

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Glad you got home ok swamps,pity I arrived late though and missed the entertainment ;)
Only kidding .Enjoyed the few hours I spent with you all thanks to Mrs Swamps for the coffeee and pork pie,good diet food :D
And a big thanks to Pete for taking me round for a few laps,now i know how Mrs M feels on our cruises :coolsteer)
Great time.
Thanks Moz :ymalien:

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
she said " your welcome you racing snake" :)) ~o)

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
What an amazing day out, brilliant! Thank you Mrs Swamper for the lovely grub and the constant flow of much needed tea. It was good to see Mozza as always, I'm glad you enjoyed your run out with me. :)

Swamper old boy, you were banging them laps out by the end of play. It doesn't really matter what happens on lap one buddy, you were mucho rapido by the end and that is all that counts. That Chris is an extremely good instructor, I felt much faster with only 20 mins tuition. In the morning session I was hitting the bridge after druids at about 75 MPH, after 5 laps with Chris I was up to 85 MPH. With a bit more practice using Chris's advice I was over 90 MPH!!!!!!!

As for my tyres.........well.........I sort of melted them a bit, but in their defence I was pushing the car exremely hard. It was hard work keeping up with the more light weight cars in the tight twisties. The Zed felt a bit cumbersome at times but I suppose it wasn't designed to tracked so can't grumble too much. For the next track day I might have to think about making the car a bit lighter or even finding a cheap car and stripping it out.

A great day with good mates, now where are the photos?!!!!!!!!!! :D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I couldn't make it in the end. Got a short notice work contract (contract signed on Thursday, started on Monday for a week)...

Sounds like it was a great day, just annoyed I couldn't make it! L-)

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
there more coming Gaz so we'll see you at that one ....get your self on track ;)

its a funny thing that you spend the day pushing your self and what you know about how your car handles ....after my instruction i spent the rest of the day trying to just get the corners just right and carry the speed through...then linking them up and getting a good run in.....i didnt care about trying to keep up with other cars..............i never thought my car could do what it did......very different day from what i thought it was going to be ....and being nailed by that little black SC mini WTF .. :))
maybe need to look into getting a dedicated track car.....i fancy a tiger avon with a red or black top in their :-\
all in all im hooked......just need to buy some new rears now :-^

edit....just give her a clean and it seems i was pushing a bit harder than i thought :ymdevil:
fronts (avon's)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
swamper said:
there more coming Gaz so we'll see you at that one ....get your self on track ;)
I'm going to start sorting the handling on the Z3 soon. It's a little too soft at the back end for my liking. Hopefully come the spring, she will be a little lower and a lot stiffer! :ymdevil:

Don't really see it being worthwhile taking the Z4 on the track as I don't think it will be as fun somehow.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Oh by the way Wayne, that crazy little black citroen piled in on the last lap.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
bloody hell...hope he was ok......he was really pushing it :-o

its was funny watching you and the 306 x_x

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
swamper said:
edit....just give her a clean and it seems i was pushing a bit harder than i thought :ymdevil:
fronts (avon's)
Are those tyres Avon ZZ3s? I have them on my z and had a similar look after a morning at Knockhill, find then to be really good in the dry but not too good in the wet.

I am back at Silverstone later this month (23rd) with the BMWCC, Looking forward to it, hope it is dry this time.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
spot on mate ....yep in the wet lets go quite easy but in the dry very good.
lucky you silverstone looks great ;)
put up a post about it?

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
swamper said:
bloody hell...hope he was ok......he was really pushing it :-o

its was funny watching you and the 306 x_x
I know it wasn't a racing day and I'm sure he would have pulled over if I got too close, but we were both really going for it. He would pull out a lead in the tight corners and I would reel him in at Cascades and Druids. There was nothing between us in the straights so it was really a battle royale! :D I really enjoyed every second of it. :coolsteer)

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
sorry quality's a bit poor

Status
Not open for further replies.