Bushes help pls...

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I recon I need to fit new bushes, having 125k on the clock and not knowing if they have ever been done I think I'm going to replace them.

Problem is I haven't got a clue about bushes and which ones affect what so not sure where to start.

My intention is to get them all replaced with poly but will be bit by bit.

So, Can someone advise what order I should do them.

My Zed does suffer with tramlining so I'd like to eliminate that (tyres will be changed also)
and I also get a loud knock going over the small speed bumps or very low kerbs, which seems to be coming from front drivers side. Kinda feels like a broken spring but the front springs are new. Any thoughts as to what that could be.

TIA

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I recon I need to fit new bushes, having 125k on the clock and not knowing if they have ever been done I think I'm going to replace them.

Problem is I haven't got a clue about bushes and which ones affect what so not sure where to start.

My intention is to get them all replaced with poly but will be bit by bit.

So, Can someone advise what order I should do them.

My Zed does suffer with tramlining so I'd like to eliminate that (tyres will be changed also)
and I also get a loud knock going over the small speed bumps or very low kerbs, which seems to be coming from front drivers side. Kinda feels like a broken spring but the front springs are new. Any thoughts as to what that could be.

TIA
Either drop links bushes shot or even loose bolt. Also possibly lower arm ball joint, inner or outer. If you're changing lower arms a good idea to change the rear mounting bushes (lollypop). I intend doing mine with Poly bushes. Tramlining is most likely a tyre issue.

Tony.

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
It's all a bit over my head tbh.

Can you put it in layman's terms what I need to order, and what I need to tell the mechanic I want doing. I literally don't have a clue! :bag:

Edit.

Just found this diagram on powerflex website
IMG_1852.PNG

If you give me the numbers it should be easier.
Which should I do first, second, third ect

Last edited:

Uncle_Clanger

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i
This is obviously on many peoples "to do list" to fit poly bushes.. will be a useful thread for folks, myself included. I mentioned changing the whole lot once to somebody, can't remember who... I think the advise I got was not to go poly on everything because of it making the ride too harsh?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Personally I would do No.1 one the front first, then 2&3 at the same time. As for the rear end, a much bigger job involvingremoving the rear axle beam and some serious press work. Best to show them this picture and let them see what it entails.

Tony.

MRH1966

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
1.9 M43 , 2.8 auto & 2.0l
Just done all the front on mine. New wishbones, drop links, lollypops , struts and top strut bushes, all in rubber. Hugh difference to car!!
Doing the same to my sons 2.8!! Just about to pick up new struts and top mountings today. Busy man tomorrow!!!!

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
This is what I did and in what order

Front wishbone bushes ( poly)
Gearbox mounts ( poly)
Rear arb bushes (rubber)
Rear beam bushes ( poly)
Rear trailing arm bushes ( poly)
Diff bush (poly)
Rear droplinks ( rubber)
Front droplinks (standard)

I'll be replacing the front arb bushes soon too along with the front wishbones.

I'll also be swapping to Z3M style front bushes

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
This is what I did and in what order

Front wishbone bushes ( poly)
Gearbox mounts ( poly)
Rear arb bushes (rubber)
Rear beam bushes ( poly)
Rear trailing arm bushes ( poly)
Diff bush (poly)
Rear droplinks ( rubber)
Front droplinks (standard)

I'll be replacing the front arb bushes soon too along with the front wishbones.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but Can I ask why you have done different parts in different materials?

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Personally I would do No.1 one the front first, then 2&3 at the same time. As for the rear end, a much bigger job involvingremoving the rear axle beam and some serious press work. Best to show them this picture and let them see what it entails.

Tony.
Cheers Tony.
The ones marked no2 come in sizes from 23-28mm....how do I know which ones I need.
Sorry for all the noob questions :wacky:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cheers Tony.
The ones marked no2 come in sizes from 23-28mm....how do I know which ones I need.
Sorry for all the noob questions :wacky:
Hi Carl, just measure the diameter of the anti-roll bar where the bushes fit and you'll have your answer.

Tony.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Sorry if this is a stupid question but Can I ask why you have done different parts in different materials?
Polybushes are easier to fit as you don't need a press. That's my logic.

I don't trust the rear arb mounts so chose rubber

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Long story short. Meyle HD is good stuff. This kit for the front has the sensible parts to replace. Shop around for the best price. This was just the first one I found.

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/232385465506

Otherwise you are into new struts and springs as well.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Just done all the front on mine. New wishbones, drop links, lollypops , struts and top strut bushes, all in rubber. Hugh difference to car!!
Doing the same to my sons 2.8!! Just about to pick up new struts and top mountings today. Busy man tomorrow!!!!
I'm doing the exact same thing very soon, still got a couple more bits to order.

Reactions: Lee

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Long story short. Meyle HD is good stuff. This kit for the front has the sensible parts to replace. Shop around for the best price. This was just the first one I found.

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/232385465506

Otherwise you are into new struts and springs as well.
Would it be more sensible to buy this kit than just change bushes. Suppose it would because I'm replacing parts that are possibly worn on a higher mileage car?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you replace the lower arms complete then you will replace, on each side, 2 ball joints which will have a certain amount of wear in them anyway, plus the rear rubber mountings too. Anti-roll bar links will be well worn as well, unless they've already been done.

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Whats the difference? The PF ones fitted to both mine are the same as other Z3s (or are you referring to the offset ones?)

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Yeah the offset bushes to change the geometry
You may want to reconsider / research that unless you have or are going to put on the standard M top mounts (with the added camber), ARB and drop links (and that will require M shocks), the offset wishbone bushes are specifically designed for the M suspension only (or so I have been informed) you could totally cock up your suspension geometry by just fitting just the wishbone bushes??

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
You may want to reconsider / research that unless you have or are going to put on the standard M top mounts (with the added camber), ARB and drop links (and that will require M shocks), the offset wishbone bushes are specifically designed for the M suspension only (or so I have been informed) you could totally cock up your suspension geometry by just fitting just the wishbone bushes??
Thats the whole point of them, they make the geometry much better than stock