Watching with interest :thumbsup:

Clockwatcher

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
LeolWH,

I am watching this with deep interest. I cannot wait to see how you manage to balance all the competing requirements of designing and building an EV. Do you have any specs you are working towards, such as range or acceleration, or is it a "lets see what we can accomplish" project?

CW

LeoIWH

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3i (Dismantled)
LeolWH,

I am watching this with deep interest. I cannot wait to see how you manage to balance all the competing requirements of designing and building an EV. Do you have any specs you are working towards, such as range or acceleration, or is it a "lets see what we can accomplish" project?

CW
Thanks, Clockwatcher, I am working to a spec of
Z3i z3 1.9
Acceleration 6.5- 7s 9s
top speed . same
rpm 7000
range
fullcharged
120 miles warm
90 miles cold unsure around 900 miles full tank

what we can accomplish:
need to confirm Worlds first Electric Alternating current z3/e36 platform

unconfirmed BMW z3 converted to electric with ac unit costing less than 10000

Hope these answers your question!
Leo

LeoIWH

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3i (Dismantled)
I've always fancied doing an electric car, but it's a step too far into the unknown for me. Good luck to you.
Once I'm finished I may start to provide kits or sell the complete converted car around 19000
(unconfirmed)
thank you for your support pingu!
Leo

windym

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Quick question, what is your background ie engineering, physics, science etc ?

Best Andy

LeoIWH

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3i (Dismantled)

Last edited:

LeoIWH

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3i (Dismantled)
LeolWH,

What are the specs for the motor and why did you choose that particular motor?
hi, the spec is an ac synchronising permanent magnet AC motor rated at ~200 horsepower and I'm unsure of the torques and stuff but I do know the voltage is 650v and its actually a hybrid transmission,we have chosen this because of the easily modifiable internals and the adapter plate was easier to make and i did not choose a red weak dc one as it is not powerful and costs are a lot higher as they actually come in kits which were something we didn't want to do
Thanks

LeoIWH

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3i (Dismantled)
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 17.33.59.png

Side project on converting a z3 to electric: So when you are converting an electric car you would be left with some engine, fueline, fuel tank or an exhaust. in my case I have sold these stuff and got back around £250 and I'm still selling today you can check out my store on eBay link in description, and I actually thought about upcycling some parts e.g my m44 engine block actually ended up being a flower pot then I saw ppl selling turbo lamps and stuff like that and I thought about doing that with the camshaft then I gathered parts like wires and bulbs and switches etc for the pair cost me £35 just for the electrical and lampshade, and the camshaft cost like £100 off some stores(BMW part) but I just have one on my hands. so I assembled it together took an hour for the pair pretty pleased, perfect for home decor for a petrolhead! (not for sale)