Beginning of the end?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have had two Merc diesels, never any problems with them.
But, how old were they Mike, this is the problem. There are very old Mercs still being run as taxis on the canary Islands, and they'll probably go on for many more years. It's the latter days day cars where the problems are coming trying to keep emission levels lower and lower. It's not sustainable, they have reached their limit.

Tony.

Russell O

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Sport
But, how old were they Mike, this is the problem. There are very old Mercs still being run as taxis on the canary Islands, and they'll probably go on for many more years. It's the latter days day cars where the problems are coming trying to keep emission levels lower and lower. It's not sustainable, they have reached their limit.

Tony.
Agree, Old dirty Mercs especially brilliant for mileage. Half a million miles, No bother. Give it oil and live the dream....New one's.....Basically the same engine I think,( Correct me) but loads of different filters...

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I can't remember what model it was but the first diesel car I can remember was red and belonged to a school friend back in 1966 when I started at Grammar school. I do recall it was slow(compared to my dad's Anglia) and noisy and very smelly. Put me off them from a young age.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I have a low milage 77 Merc 5 cyl in my shop right now with a rusted out floor and I'd like to install the motor and trans into a 60 Merc mini bus I have rather than the four cylinder. But I haven't been able to get air running before I pull it. Was running fine when parked up, now no fire in the hole!! JIM

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
I never liked diesels but since gettin the cmax 1.6 was impressed how well it went.and now ive got this 330d i luv the power and economy.
M

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Having been bitten badly with a diesel with just over 100k on it I'll never go diesel again. Will see how this focus ecoboost performs over the coming years. Watch this space!
I here more and more horror stories from mechanics now days about diesels and costly repair bills.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
That means my Audi I use for work must be burning holes in the Ozone layer :D

It's the smelliest car I've owned and has 160,000 miles on the clock and its only got 3 cyl's but does do me 60-70mpg.

I don't actually like diesels but for my commute across three county's it costs me peanuts to run.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I expect that petrol injection systems will end up working at ever higher pressures with smaller and smaller apertures to increase the air/fuel mix to get better consumption and reduced emissions. You will end up with the same costly repairs except for the DPF.

Gundun

Zorg Legend
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Line Individual
I used to like diesels as you could have a lot of punch for very reasonables ownership costs.
Recently I am a bit disappointed by the fact they no longer behave like a diesel (less punch, more progression) and the fuel consumption is not like before (the 20km/litre are no longer achievable even with the most environmental friendly driving) because of all the after treatment restrictions that plug the exhaust.
I will be more than happy to switch to a petrol engine that (maybe with the help of an hybrid module) helps keeping fuel consumption low and give me a lot of torque at low RPMs...

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Diesels are pretty competitive nowadays and some times superior to petrol engines, but most of the people involved in the automotive industry will say : "petrol is for cars and diesel for trucks!". I subscribe.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Yet another nail in the diesel coffin?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...charging-evs-in-seconds/ar-AAlc006?li=BBoPJKX

Could this be too good to be true? Well. at least it's not April 1st.;)

Tony.
The slight flaw in that Tony is you need to be able to supply that much power to be able to charge at that rate. Now, as far as I recall, the National Grid doesn't supply 11kV in to domestic premises. If you took a three phase 440V supply you might just be able to deliver enough power directly off mains supply but I doubt it. Only with a more slowly charging battery store could you gather that amount of energy but then you wouldn't be able to deliver it (without frying whatever you use to store the energy). Few generators, even large ones would take that kind of instantaneous loads. So, maybe technically possible but not a real world solution for most.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Too true Ian, been chewing that over tonight with a mate, and of course you get back to the same old problem as well. IF everyone was to do this where would all the electrical power to charge these things come from anyway ?

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Too true Ian, been chewing that over tonight with a mate, and of course you get back to the same old problem as well. IF everyone was to do this where would all the electrical power to charge these things come from anyway ?

Tony.
Ah - that's easy. Fusion! Cue Lee :whistle:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Oh s***, cue CND then.=))

Tony.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto

Tony.
Just fire up the old coal stations again :ymdevil: