Be careful out there....

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
A neighbour just told me about something that happened to her husband this morning.

He pulled off the drive and, as he drove off, someone tried car jacking him by trying to run him off the road a short distance away - twice. Looks like they are after high value cars, so, most of us are safe, but, he has one of twelve top spec Jaguar xf V8 estates. They were clearly watching for him to leave home so they could get the keys.

Having said that - a beat up astra doesn't stand a chance of getting away which is what he managed to do, but,at the second attempt he was just a few seconds away from pulling into the entrance of the barracks up the road manned by armed guards.

Apparently, two homes have been broken into in recent days and keys stolen to an Audi Q8 and Land Rover Evoke too.

Some thieving b*stards out there :mad:

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
A guy i know came down stairs one morning to find the coats on the floor and his car gone the police said the house door lock had been snapped as its very easy to do. He has since replaced his door lock with an anti snap lock and purchased a new car.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The only answer is not to be flash with what you have. If they want the car they will likely get it on way or another, it's just how much of a fight you are willing to put up when they do so. If someone wants my car so badly they will either try and car jack it or break in to my house, they can damn well have it.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
A guy i know came down stairs one morning to find the coats on the floor and his car gone the police said the house door lock had been snapped as its very easy to do. He has since replaced his door lock with an anti snap lock and purchased a new car.
Upgraded all our locks a while ago.
Its unbelievably easy to break most eurolock house locks, especially if the wrong size is fitted. Quick tap with a screwdriver is all it takes :(

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
The only answer is not to be flash with what you have. If they want the car they will likely get it on way or another, it's just how much of a fight you are willing to put up when they do so. If someone wants my car so badly they will either try and car jack it or break in to my house, they can damn well have it.
The car in question doesn't look flash to be honest. I suspect they probably thought it was a standard xf.
All you can do is make it so hard enough for them so its easier for them to go elsewhere as far as house security goes.

The worrying thing is most car-jackers and crash for cash villains target lone women. Electric windows don't help because its so easy to press the all-the-way down feature. Difficult to crack the window open just a bit. Best not to even try if someone approaches you. I guess all you can do is just call 999 - two weeks later the police might turn up.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Poor old plod can't be everywhere at once Ian, all you need is a can of spray in your hand befor lowering the window( CS if you can bring some back from EU next time you visit.) Chances are not one of us will ever need it, or will we????????. Most woman could get away with hair spray, " well officer I'm awfully sorry he's got some in his eyes but I didn't have time to do my hair this morning" ;)

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Poor old plod can't be everywhere at once Ian, all you need is a can of spray in your hand befor lowering the window( CS if you can bring some back from EU next time you visit.) Chances are not one of us will ever need it, or will we????????. Most woman could get away with hair spray, " well officer I'm awfully sorry he's got some in his eyes but I didn't have time to do my hair this morning" ;)
Don't think I'd get away with having hair spray =))
A fire extinguisher?
WD40?
Non-repositionable photo mount spray :eek:

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Look out all you M owners cos your cars are getting more and more sort after, if I were you I'd let the rust run its course or even paint some panels rusty, just might put these horrible people off.=))

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
One thong about auto windows, if you hit the switch twice it will stop and not go all the way to the bottom. It's just being aware enough to do it. The main issue here is that we're all just too trusting I'm sad to say.:(

Tony.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
One thong about auto windows, if you hit the switch twice it will stop and not go all the way to the bottom. It's just being aware enough to do it. The main issue here is that we're all just too trusting I'm sad to say.:(

Tony.
Not me, my windows have recognition chips built in, if I don't know you they go down slower than traffic lights change, leaving you stood in the middle of the road looking at the rubber my wheels left.:wtf: :happy:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Not me, my windows have recognition chips built in, if I don't know you they go down slower than traffic lights change, leaving you stood in the middle of the road looking at the rubber my wheels left.:wtf: :happy:
Tear arse!!:ymdevil:=))=))

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport

Tony.
The natural instinct is to open the window all the way down. Maybe there should be options on the switch programming. Most have two positions - the first should be to open the window just a fraction, just like when you open the door and hold it there unless you keep it pressed at that position.
Of course - when you've got the top down - wtf do you do then? Reverse if you can? Hit the loud pedal?
The guy over the road said that if they try and lift his Porsche they're toast!
Think on balance you let them take the car after hitting the 30 second delayed self destruct option.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
Not so sure why I would give up my vehicle for some scum I know it's only plastic and metal but it's the principle for me and not to bothered about doing time for it if I'm on my own if the wife is with me she comes first with restraint. My view is if some Scum bucket gets maimed or hurt tough doo doo if they weren't out causing harm etc it would not happen. If I offend anyone sorry but a firm believer of an Englishman in his castle etc.

I'm surprised in the mention above the jackers weren't greeted with armed guards. My lad told me of an incident were several squaudies rushed to the gate persured by some pikies in a van and got greeted by five live armed guards ready to fire if they encroached the "line" and soon slinked off like the slime they are.

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Many years ago I had a work colleague that was an extremely large human being. Why anybody would choose to mess with him in the first place I don't know but I guess because he was sat in the car he somehow looked smaller...

Someone forced him off the road and then approached his vehicle, opened the drivers door and reached in to grab the keys out of the ignition. At this point my colleague pinned the assailants arm against the dashboard with his knee and then proceeded to repeatedly open and close the door on his head. I wasn't present at the time but I have been reliably informed that it was a successful deterrent in a car jacking situation.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Get your eurolocks changed to ABS Avocet 3 star 'Sold Secure' spec, and don't have them posted to your house as you can't necessarily trust the seller not to hold a record of the key!! Dead easy to change, Google 'lock snapping' and the videos will show you how easy it is to get in, 'lock bumping' is another easy means of getting past a cylinder lock. Did mine before waiting to be broken into.
Why make such crappy locks in the first place?

Reactions: Rha

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Get your eurolocks changed to ABS Avocet 3 star 'Sold Secure' spec, and don't have them posted to your house as you can't necessarily trust the seller not to hold a record of the key!! Dead easy to change, Google 'lock snapping' and the videos will show you how easy it is to get in, 'lock bumping' is another easy means of getting past a cylinder lock. Did mine before waiting to be broken into.
Why make such crappy locks in the first place?
That's just what I did. Most builders etc will use the cheapest possible locks. A friend of my son picks locks as a pastime. He has never been able to bump or pick one of these. Cheap ones take him seconds to get past.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I got up to go to work one morning a few years ago and when I went into the kitchen I straight away noticed that Shirl's large bunch of keys in the back door lock were hanging at a very unusual angle. I soon realised the back door handle was broken. Only the large bunch of keys which jammed the lock shaft from pushing out stopped these scroats from getting onto our house.So, I went out of the house by the front door and found, a) the gate in our fence into the field was wedged back by a plant pot, b) the side conservatory door was also wedged open to allow for a quick exit.
It turned out that the way to snap these type of door lock handles was shown on a BBC TV programme 2 nights earlier. Thank you BBC. (TOSSERS) That night some scumbags from Gainsborough broke into and attempted to break into many houses in our village and in Torksey.
Even the police didn't realise that it had been shown on TV how to break these locks. We had ours changed to the unbreakable stainless steel type. If you lose the key, your door is toast. Cost us a lot of money but worth it for peace of mind.

Tony

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
Funny enough we are aware of 'soft' targets as the police call them. To make your home less inviting,

Gravel on the paths, full PIR external lighting. Good BSI locks and Chubb 5 level locks too. Make sure you know your neighbours and keep in touch with them. Make sure your bins go out and get put back soon afterwards. And a bonus, get a home alarm system
Fitted. The harder it looks from the outside, the more likely the person will be put off. They are normally in and out within minutes. If you are worried, contact your neighbourhood police as they will gladly help and give advise about prevention.