Be careful out there....

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Had a similar experience years ago. Every house down the road had their garage door forced. Stuff taken out and left at the end of the drive ready to collect on the way back. They open ours and the alarms goes off. Everything was left behind.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
We have alarm coverage for the garage too, well worth it. The night we had the attempted break in both the doors on the side conservatory were unlocked as they always had been. I guess familiarity breeds contempt and we only realised it wasn't a good idea that night. We were brought up in the years when you didn't even lock your house during the day time if you were in the garden or nearby.

Tony.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
No what you mean Tony, as a lad in the village my friends would knock on the open side door and walk right in and ask where I was, as I did at their houses, course that was back in the 50s to early 60s, even the JP who owned the local pub had his door open all day untill dark. Local Bobby would walk right in with his hat off and ask every one if they had any info for him before he sat down for his cuppa. How times have changed for the worst in some cases.
Used to play footy in the middle of the main road and only had to move a couple of times for the odd car, not forgetting the horse drawn bakers bread van, and local farmers milk cart, then when the farmer was moving his dairy herd through we would be asked to go get the strays out of people's gardens for a bag of sweets to share. Those were the days!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha. Short trousers and dirty knees.

Roy.

Last edited:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
A guy i know came down stairs one morning to find the coats on the floor and his car gone the police said the house door lock had been snapped as its very easy to do. He has since replaced his door lock with an anti snap lock and purchased a new car.
Explain the term 'snapped', Low Rider, just wondered if our house lock is snappable?!!

Mike

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Explain the term 'snapped', Low Rider, just wondered if our house lock is snappable?!!

Mike
They prise the door handle away from the door to expose the end of the eurolock now protruding from the door, they simply snap the protruding end off to expose the internal mechanism and then turn the locking cam, bingo they're in. A security lock has a sacrificial end that would still be snapped off by the thief in the same way but the internals are protected preventing the locking cam from being turned. These locks also have magnetic anti pick pins and a ball bearing to prevent drilling. The key for these locks are strange in that they do not have 'teeth' but dimples instead.
Mind you they can still smash the glass! :(

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport

Mike
Eurolocks (the oval shaped locks that use Yale type keys) are simply a unit that slides into the door. Their strength is down one edge only. A sharp tap can easily break them hence snapping. They simply snap in half. Once snapped, the outside part falls out and you simply unlock the door with a screwdriver.

Many of these locks are cheap and easily broken or bumped - a method where the tumblers are knocked so they align and the lock essentially picked. If you have Eurolocks, ensure they are anti-snap and anti-bump. Expect to pay £30 or more per cylinder. Do all your locks at the same time you can get a single key that fits them all. You have to measure the width of the door each way from the screw that holds then in the door to ensure they are the correct length.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
The term bumping is in relation to cylinder locks (the circular lock as opposed to the oval shaped eurolock). Apparantly you can buy 'bumping' keys off t'internet and as @Redline says they just keep tapping the lock until the tumblers fall into place. Go on youtube and search 'lock snapping' and 'lock bumping', it'll scare you into changing yours pronto!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
They prise the door handle away from the door to expose the end of the eurolock now protruding from the door, they simply snap the protruding end off to expose the internal mechanism and then turn the locking cam, bingo they're in. A security lock has a sacrificial end that would still be snapped off by the thief in the same way but the internals are protected preventing the locking cam from being turned. These locks also have magnetic anti pick pins and a ball bearing to prevent drilling. The key for these locks are strange in that they do not have 'teeth' but dimples instead.
Mind you they can still smash the glass! :(
Not if you don't have glass!;)

Tony.