Rebody Another 507 build

10stb

Dedicated Member
I thought about a bead of tiger seal down the sides and leaving the bottom for drainage. If I need to remove the outer skin at a later date, I can cut through it. Planning on grey tiger seal and then give it a waft of silver over on final assembly.

May all change though 😂

Piran

Dedicated Member
Change of plan, I'm going to wait to see what @argy comes up with. So I've fitted the drivers door skin. Unfortunately this was a bit of a worse fit than the passenger side as to get it to line up with the bonnet you have to lift the front of the door quite a bit so the shutline at the back of the door is more like a triumph and at the front the skin is higher than the existing door so I've had to put something to raise the existing door so that the new skin has something to hook over.

Attachments

Piran

Dedicated Member
Lots of sanding and filling to do now and the wing mirrors to add and it feels like I'm almost back on the road

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Your driver's door looks OK in the picture. Did you see my picture? It was so far out I had to chop off the swage line and stick it back on half an inch higher.

Piran

Dedicated Member
Your driver's door looks OK in the picture. Did you see my picture? It was so far out I had to chop off the swage line and stick it back on half an inch higher.
yes I saw yours, mine wasn't that bad but to get it to line up my shutline at the back is not exactly even

Attachments

10stb

Dedicated Member
Change of plan, I'm going to wait to see what @argy comes up with. So I've fitted the drivers door skin. Unfortunately this was a bit of a worse fit than the passenger side as to get it to line up with the bonnet you have to lift the front of the door quite a bit so the shutline at the back of the door is more like a triumph and at the front the skin is higher than the existing door so I've had to put something to raise the existing door so that the new skin has something to hook over.
I had similar issues so used the swage line as my datum point and built up the top of the doors to match the height of the clamshell. I've got 2 sets if doors...1 set with classic mini handles and the other set handle less ready for when Argy's handles are on sale. I've had to build up the height on all of them.

10stb

Dedicated Member
yes I saw yours, mine wasn't that bad but to get it to line up my shutline at the back is not exactly even
The fibreglass is quite thick there so I ended up grinding a little off of the edge of the door skin and rear tub to get a fairly even shut line. Only needs a couple of mm each side.

Piran

Dedicated Member
The fibreglass is quite thick there so I ended up grinding a little off of the edge of the door skin and rear tub to get a fairly even shut line. Only needs a couple of mm each side.
But you also have a couple of mm of the old door sticking out in places too :(

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Doesn't that separate the original skin from the door carcass?
I was planning on doing this but was going to drill through the outer metal every inch and spot weld to the inner metal. Then chop a few mm off the back edge. Don't think I will now. But it's an option for the future.

Piran

Dedicated Member
Nearly there, some more sanding and polishing, but wing mirrors on now just waiting for Argy to finish the door handles, some temporary side repeaters for the MOT and off we go, so do I change the registration to a BMW Tribute 507 before the MOT or after?
1715443289728.png

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
No. Especially as you can see the front ones from the side. Which is why the Z3 needed side repeaters.

Tony.

10stb

Dedicated Member
Nearly there, some more sanding and polishing, but wing mirrors on now just waiting for Argy to finish the door handles, some temporary side repeaters for the MOT and off we go, so do I change the registration to a BMW Tribute 507 before the MOT or after?View attachment 301315
Looking really good Piran. Well done.

I fitted my wing mirrors, then took them off again as I had to build the height up on the wings as there was a flat spot where the mould was joined. Took about 15mm of filler.

The mirrors were more aesthetic for me as you could see bugger all behind you with them 😂.

I've changed my reg for a dateless one. I looked at dateless 507 plates but didn't see anything I liked for my budget.

I've got loads of wet flatting and buffing, then reassembly and mot.

Looking forward to taking it out.

Piran

Dedicated Member
Looking very nice.

Is side repeaters necessary for MOT?
if you stand at the rear 1m from the car and can see the indicators you're ok and don't need repeaters. TBH I haven't actually checked whether they're needed yet.

Piran

Dedicated Member
Looking really good Piran. Well done.

I fitted my wing mirrors, then took them off again as I had to build the height up on the wings as there was a flat spot where the mould was joined. Took about 15mm of filler.

The mirrors were more aesthetic for me as you could see bugger all behind you with them 😂.

I've changed my reg for a dateless one. I looked at dateless 507 plates but didn't see anything I liked for my budget.

I've got loads of wet flatting and buffing, then reassembly and mot.

Looking forward to taking it out.
I had to grind out some of the interior of the bonnet to get them on as it's quite thick there and there wasn't enough thread on the mirror.
Will see what they're like when I get out on the road - they're a similar size to the Herald ones and they're ok.

10stb

Dedicated Member
Looking very nice.

Is side repeaters necessary for MOT?
I wasn't sure. Dan put them on his the mot. I'm incorporating the clear z4 side indicators into my side grill.

My mot guy said that you need to be able to see them when standing a metre from the rear bumper so t-tony would be right as you would be able to see them flashing.

I'm still going to go down the z4 indicator route as it will also incorporate the badge on the side grill as well.