99 Z3 2.8 fluids

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi everyone,

This is probably a tired thread but I'm at a loose end.

Been trying to do a build check to see what diff my car has (2.8 99) and what transmission oil it requires (manual) I also ain't a clue what power steering fluid it requires.

Would anyone be able to help a guy out? Pay day approaching and think these would be a few cheap fixes to tend too. Also want to change the belt thermostat and water pump while at it.

But in regards to the fluids. Can anyone help? Someone mentioned it should be a Torsen LSD but I cant confirm.

I tried to do a VIN lookup for build info last night but got nowhere LE92280 is last 7 if anyone can get this data it would be interesting to see and have to hand.

Thanks for your help.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Hi, the power steering system should use ATF fluid.

With the diff oil I've used Redline 75w90 in mine, I do have an open diff though.

There's a site called Opie Oils who's customer service team should be able to help with what fluids your car needs if you provide them with a registration.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi, the power steering system should use ATF fluid.

With the diff oil I've used Redline 75w90 in mine, I do have an open diff though.

There's a site called Opie Oils who's customer service team should be able to help with what fluids your car needs if you provide them with a registration.

Hi thanks for the reply.

In regards to amount of oil for each what are we talking?

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Definitely a LSD. I have a 2.8.

@t-tony can advise you on the quantity.

Have fun!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Top tip, when going to change your diff oil, remove the fill plug first. If it doesn't come off, don't drain the oil or you will never get the new oil in.

75W90 is the safe oil to use in the Z3 as it is correct for the open and Torsen diffs. True clutch pack LSD's use 75W140. True LSD's are a little rarer on non M Z3's as those with 25% diff lock typically having a Torsen diff. There are always exceptions.

The best way to tell which diff you have is when you are changing the oil, to poke a boroscope in the fill hole and have a look. If you don't have a boroscope, then beg/borrow/buy/hire one. See the photo of what you are looking for.

differential comparison.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That's a great idea Murray :thumbsup:

Tony.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Cheers lads. Will be checking these things next week hopefully fillholes come off. Ordering some penetration spray before do anything. Mate recommended blaster PB