So why did you go for a ZED?

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I think an amazing pic would be a quick time lapse of you doing your donut!!!!!!!!!!!! Frankie
Do you really Frankie?? Might put everyone off donuts altogether but just my opinion, after all I survived the you and Baaaaabs pics! So let's see you doing your donut Hugh!! JIM

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Gotta just love Frankie, has to look at the back of his car to tell us what it is..........=))

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Kids grown up and out of home, shifted to the South Island of New Zealand and was enjoying the roads with far fewer cars than Auckland or Sydney Oz. Summers coming and was looking at a big road bike to go cruising at around $15k. A couple of mates talked me out of the bike, something about killing myself in the first 2 weeks of ownership.

Why not a convertible? Jumped on the local traders website, car, convertible $15k, hit search? Well up jumped a 2000 BMW Z3 3.0 litre, 35,000 km. Looked good, hit buy now and purchased it sight unseen. Five days later I was driving it home with the biggest smile ever on my face. Still enjoying summer driving to work the long way through the country side.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I got my first zed purely by circumstance. I was big into modifying cars at the time (To save embarrassment I won't mention what cars) I was doing some work for a family helping them out because she was an old lady, and I stumbled on a car hidden under a sheet in her garage. She was the second owner of a 2.8 blue z3, the one my dad know owns. With 79,000 on the clock and full BMW service history she said make her an offer. The offer was peanuts and I didn't expect her to say yes. The car came with the hardtop, watch, golfing equipment car cover.

The rest is history.

Lee

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
I got my first zed purely by circumstance. I was big into modifying cars at the time (To save embarrassment I won't mention what cars) I was doing some work for a family helping them out because she was an old lady, and I stumbled on a car hidden under a sheet in her garage. She was the second owner of a 2.8 blue z3, the one my dad know owns. With 79,000 on the clock and full BMW service history she said make her an offer. The offer was peanuts and I didn't expect her to say yes. The car came with the hardtop, watch, golfing equipment car cover.

The rest is history.

Lee
golfing equipment????????????

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Yeah it was a Bmw golf kit in a small box. looked like somthing to do with picking up Tee's and marking the green.

Ian M.

Rear wheel drive, traditional soft-top roadster - BMW quality. And that long bonnet's the nearest I'll ever get to an E-Type! On a sensible note, I believe that in the next few years, the investment value of any pristine condition low mileage example is likely to prove a canny investment. Prices now are probably as low as they are ever likely to be, they will soon (if not already), be on the up. Especially this year, when the recession is deemed to be over, investments in classic cars booming, and now, with spring around the corner, demand for convertibles on the rise. Not so many can afford a Porsche, old 60's MG's etc. can be unreliable and fraught with problems, and MX5's are unlikely to become investments in the near future, for a number of reasons.

Pop-Rivet

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto 2002
Having grown tired of maintaining classics (nearer 70 than 60 now) I sold my MG and decided to go for a later sports car.
Finished with motorcycles (to many idiots on the road now).
Toyota was crossed off (space), Merc was crossed off (Parts & initial cost).

Really liked MX5 looked at a couple but in the meantime I was still researching my last two options Z3's & Mx5's for owners reviews and known faults decided a MX5 was out except for a MK1 after reading this :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1169343

I could live with rear seal problems through blocked drain holes but not front chassis rails rotting from the inside out!

This left me then with a Z3 as no decent MK1 MX5's meeting my criteria were around...Started then looking at 2.2 & 2.8 Z3's I saw a couple but they were a bit tired now and one had dubious history.
Then heard of a 2002 3.0i Auto that was not advertised but they guy was thinking of selling, less than 2 miles away.
Not really after a 3ltr or auto but hey ho worth a look.

Contacted him and had a look, I was impressed with its good condition and the history of the car apart from a bonnet lacquer issue (detailed in another thread) I made the guy an offer (factoring in cost of estimated bonnet repair) which he refused, we rolled around the figures but I stuck to mine and we parted while he thought it over.

I them arranged to see a 2.2 I also had a Trovit search set up that was throwing about 10 Z3's a day along with price reduced ones for me to peruse (All mostly miles away.. aren't they always for me).
Then the guy came back and accepted my offer before I viewed the 2.2 Result! Search now over.

Repairs are in hand for bonnet and I am so pleased with its build quality, overall condition along with its driving experience.

Outcome one of the best decisions I think I have made.

I agree also that I think they are future classics and I cannot see the prices falling much more than they are now before rising.
After all they are a lot of car for the money at the moment.
I also ended up with something different to what I set out to buy !

Last edited:

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Like Pop-rivet, I was also getting tired of keeping a classic on the road as an everyday driver. I was using a Triumph GT6 for my daily 50 mile commute and I also had an E30 325i which was starting to show it’s age. I had always liked the look of the Z3 and was impressed by BMW build quality. Initially, I was looking at an M coupe but having discovered that the sunroof was only a tilt type, I decided I must have a convertible. And then decide to be practical and settle for a 3.0 rather than an M. I found my zed in 2008, a 2001 model with 21.000 miles on the clock. She now has about 95,000 and has never missed a beat. We have both now retired from the daily commute and the Zed is kept for fun and holidays. Last year we went to Munich with the BMW car club and this year we are planning Lake Garda. There are also several forum meets carried out and planned.

I still have the E30 which now has 230,000 miles on the clock and goes like a dream.

Chipper3

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
4 23 s-drive Automatic
My daughter had just 'presented' us with our first Grandchild when the story began. My wife had a 08 plate Mercedes SLK but needed something with 4 seats or at least something that the passenger side airbag could be turned off, Merc in their wisdom only allow this with their own highly priced child seats. She traded the SLK in for a Nissan Juke and is delighted with it.

Shortly after doing this trade we were discussing holiday plans for the following summer and both agreed the best one we'd ever had was driving around Europe............the thing that made this extra special........having a convertible..........you know where we're going now I bet.

I started looking around for another convertible, didn't fancy another SLK or soft-top (don't shout at me all you soft-toppers) so the Z4 was the obvious choice.

So my grandson is to blame, or my daughter or my wife.................OK it's my fault!!

You know what they say................."The day you realise your parents were right all along is the day your kids are telling you you're wrong!!"

Shiro_se

Early in 2014 my wife's Ford Edge Sport would be paid off, my 2005 Mazda6 was proving to be very reliable and cheap to operate and I was turning 40. It was time for me to get an new car and my summer ride, 2008 Kawi Versys was trying to kill me and I had parked it and put it for sale. I put 3 cars on the short list: late model Nissan 370Z (crappy interior), C6 Corvette Grand Sport (too pricey, even crappier interior), Porsche Cayman S.

After missing out on a 2010 Cayman S PDK Sport Chrono, white on brown interior, that was sorta in my price range, all later Cayman S' were showing up on autoTRADER.ca and Kijiji with too high a price tag. I started looking at comparos with the Cayman S and, universally, I was always matched up against the Z4M Coupe. I had loved the Z3M Coupe, but similar to others who have posted, I was young, broke-ish and with young family when those were around. I never 'fell in love' with the Z4 when it debuted, and it fell off my radar. When I saw the Z4 Coupe profile 10 years later, I was amazed, mainly because I had never seen one, what a transformation!

I started obsessively searching for a Z4MC. After much failure and driving 350km just to go see one in Toronto in March 2014, I found my 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4MC in Etobicoke, a suburb of Toronto. The PO had had it for sale on a forum in August 2013, and I PM'd him to see if it had sold. After a few weeks of scheduling, I drove up to see it and fell in love. 19" CSL wheels, nice aftermarket mufflers, tasteful CF lip spoiler, blacked out grilles, an immaculate interior and near flawless exterior. The guy was a passionate, OCD car guy and that gave me great confidence, that although it was higher mileage, 126k, it was sure to be well sorted and reliable. I gave him his asking price because I felt bad for him. His wife and he both commuted to Toronto in rusty Mazdas, a 3 and a Protégé, his wife had a brand new GLK and was forcing him to sell the M to go buy a...Dodge Caravan, because she was expecting their first child.

Another trip to Etobicoke 2 weeks later to pay him, transfer ownership and plate it for the ride home and I LOVE MY Zed!

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
I wasn't looking for a car, just passed a garage whilst out on a walk saw a MR2 on the forecourt and pointed out to my better half how impractical they were.
Salesman collared me and said there were two more roadsters in the showroom, I told him I was not looking for one but took a look and there she was , zeddy next to a merc. I didn't know anything about the thing but knew I wanted it. Two days later it was mine.

Love at first sight, best thing I have ever bought always makes me smile.

I don't know if its fate but I owe an awful lot to that car including still being here and will never get rid.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I often sit back and wonder where I'd be or what I'd be doing in the evenings if I hadn't bought my Z3... Probably wouldn't have got as involved in a car community as I am right now. Probably would have less grey hair though ;)

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
I often sit back and wonder where I'd be or what I'd be doing in the evenings if I hadn't bought my Z3... Probably wouldn't have got as involved in a car community as I am right now. Probably would have less grey hair though ;)
AND..................You would never have had to opportunity to teach an American how to say "garage"!!!!

Bazza

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well my story started when I was walking down the Uxbridge Road in West London and saw my first Zed and fell in love with it about 1997/98
and I remember saying to my self one day will buy one off them, but with two kids and a wife + mortgage it would have to wait.
then about 4 years ago I decided that I wanted a weekend toy and thought about a classic but remembered about the ZED eventually got Zelda about 3 years ago just wished I had got one 10 years ago I have now wasted a lot of time, so am now trying to make up for lost years,
I looked at 5 or 6 Zeds before I saw her sitting on a front drive two owners and 36K on the clock 2.8 black love at first sight no braineer:thumbsup:

Firefox116

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Previously owned a Mazda MX-5 (well actually the EUNOS ROADSTER) jap import. Rust eventually killed it. Always wanted a Zed. Much better looking car than the MX-5. Still plenty of room for hair dresssing equipment.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Mid life crisis Wanted a Cosworth to accompany my Freelander TD4 daily drive and our Ford Galaxy family car. Saw Bella by chance and am now sat here with a stupid grin 24/7! Couldn't be more happy, what a great car!