Seats

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
I have just bought a pair of sport seats which are heated and I’ve been informed heaters work. My Zed has not got heated seats although under the seats are a lot of spare wires not doing anything.
what I’d like to know is it possible to get the heated seats to work in my Zed.
I know that I’d have to obtain the switches, what I’d like to find out is in most cars all the wiring is in place when built but if the car is not specked for it from new they just don’t fit things like the switches and may be the fuse and relay and such. So if I can sort the wiring out get switches and and such will the heaters work.
failing this I’m no worse of than now except I will have much nicer seats in the way of sport seats.
any one that can advise on this to get the heaters working would be a great help.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
If your zed is after around 97 it should be pre wired for most add ons like you say switching required and without looking possibly fuse and relay but all plug and play just need all the bits :)

Stephen.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
This may help
20201229_202908.jpg

Can you follow this diagram should be roughly right ( I have a e36 Haynes manual that also covers the z3 )
Diagram lifted from there the 2 cars are pretty much similar in a number of aspects.

But going on the diagram 2 fuses ( may be in use for other components one or both ) and 2 switches and 1 relay .

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
Thanks I’m pretty certain you are correct and yes this will be a great help.
as I say all the connectors are there under seat I’m sure that’s why they are there Just hanging around. I’ve a 98 reg. Going to get some switches and bits then we will see.
if my bum gets red hot then I know something is wrong lol.

Natrolite55

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I recently did the seat bushes/bushings upgrade to stop the driver seat rocking on my 99’ 2.8. I had 3nr connectors under the seat, all connected to the seat. One small red, one white and one black (white and black blocks were back to back). I was only really expecting a couple as don’t have heated seats (that I’m aware of - no switch for them)? Anyone any ideas which is which? Just wondering if this is anything to do with the ‘pre-installed’ cabling?

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
I was looking at this with interest until I realised you were talking about Z3 s! Why is it on the 'Z4' knowledge section ? =)) Anyway , any information on retro fitting Z4 heated seats would be useful.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Seem to remember reading somewhere that early Z4 s not fitted with heated seats actually have the wiring for heated seats, but on later models the wiring is not there making it more difficult to retro fit heated seats. Anybody know anything about this? If it's correct when did they change?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If I am correct the 2003 - 4 E85 had the “full” wiring where you could add plug and play items. The facelift Z4 (2005 onwards?) did not.

Tony.