From one good car to another.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Thought it about time I gave you all some views on swapping from a Z3 2.8 to a Z4 coupe 3.0si bearing in mind its only my Opinion.
My beloved 1999 Z3 2.8 owned from 207- 2018. Pic when it was sold with orig reg. All relevant details of Z3 ca be seen in Showcase page 7 RHAs Z3.
E7ADF6FA-1024-4BB0-AF53-0284F27513F3.jpeg

Next my dream car that I’ve always wanted from the first time I set eyes on one in 2006 but thought I’d never ever own. Purchased in 2018 (at the age of 70 yrs young from a trusted Zeder and friend who runs the southern Zshed ) is this perfectly maintained and modded Z4 coupe 3.0si that has somehow earned the nick name of “The Beast” amongst some members on here, no idea why????
13045CFE-E7D9-4E52-9F20-F306A30C5306.jpeg

Found it very hard to actually make this Z look (in my eyes ) any better but have tried some minor changes the first being a new OE front bumper which was cracked allong with a new black kidney grill.
A5FF7B3B-2C7A-4C0E-9879-BCCF55F0B237.jpeg

Although now it’s repaired and plus a black kidney grill, I still thought I could improve the front more to my liking so went after a splitter off the internet. Only one really took my fancy was the Maxton splitter.

130E070B-A754-447B-891D-638B5B379CB3.jpeg

as you’ll notice it’s got two very pointed edges where the brace fastened to outer edge which I didn’t like at all.
Instead of sending it back I decided to get my Dremel out and round off the protruding edges re drill the mounting hole for the support then fit some rubber edging to make it more pedestrian friendly.
FFB992A4-B397-4E4F-8C86-AB304DD94A6C.jpeg

now it’s more in line with the OE smooth rounded lines of this wonderfull best ever looking BMW coupe.
Now for the brain wave thinking I could make it match colour, with some stick on blue carbon effect vinyl and blue support braces.
E2E46AAE-66DE-4FFB-96C9-077095A2B25D.jpeg

YUK!!!!!!!!!!! stood back and within five minutes ripped it straight off but left the blue supports and rubber on.
F3D5F789-C7A8-46C5-80DD-FAE5080ACA54.jpeg

Now it reminds me of the wife, “for better or worse” has taken on a whole new meaning.
One on the left is new wife/bride, one on the right is a mature wife and proved herself so will be loved for ever.
Do I miss the Z3??? Yes you bet I do and wish I could run both, will I sell the coupe???? Yes of course I will but no one would pay the price I believe it’s worth to me, and that’s only when they take my licence away and my son/grandsons don’t want it.
Is it a beast???? Yes of course it is just look who built it. Have I tamed it???? Of course I have but not with the sport button pressed maybe that’s why they call it a beast, maybe they should have called
it kangaroo.=))

Seriously the work done on this Z is a credit to @Lee and @GazHyde crew. The Z3 was my first real two seater roadster and it never let me down, would have another tomorrow if I could run two. Coupe can handle being left out in the open and although I intended to give my council garage up saving £900 yearly I can’t bring myself to trust the other drivers around me not to knock it, say no more.
Differences between the two are mainly performance especially round the twisting. Very lively get off the mark and smooth engine if a lot noisier exhaust. Road noise is very notable when going from the Z3, exhaust is obviously choice and having a rear box delete on this car really makes it noticeable if pushed in built up area. Miss the hood down in real warm weather but the coupe has the ability to get a lot of nice cool air in with windows down and for them extra hot days the auto air con works a treat. Must admit it’s getting as much attention from the public as my old Z3, even more on the petrol station forecourts. Which one is best ?? Don’t think there is a best maybe a better in different situations, looks is the most common comment from admirers. Give me both and I’ll die a happy man, thank goodness I’ve been lucky enough to have owned both and still own one. :)
Such a biased person ain’t I, and an old one to boot, great granddad for last 2.5 yrs and run a Z4 beast of a coupe. Some people never grow up do they.!!! Covid-19 stay away cos there’s plenty more miles left in this right foot yet.

RHA,ROY. ;)

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Your lovely 2.8 has seen a few hands since you parted with it Roy, and "the beast" is just that, I went in it around Basingstoke ring road with @Lee. An interesting ride around town :wideyed::nailbiting:

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Love the rear three quarter angle on the coupe.

At 70 you're still young.

When you're 90 get an M5, easy to get the zimmer frame on the back seats.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Just a shame the top does not go down :whistle:

Reactions: Rha

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Must agree with that @Rha, loved my 2.8 Z3 and wish I'd never sold it. I am also a fan of the Z4 coupe and very nearly bought a 3.0 one ,not Si, the same blue colour last year. Only reason I didn't was that I just realised I wanted a roadster as my 'fun' car.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Here’s an update to show you just how this great BEAST is coming along. Still not satisfied with the look of the front I decided to try the S/S front grill cover which I’d been meaning to try since I got the coupe along with the headlight eyebrow.
DEFFCA5C-FCE2-4238-AC88-AA751FD5D379.jpeg

FB318BE4-ED0C-4F47-BDD5-739A30DFB45F.jpeg

The stickers were a welcome addition after a visit to the Basingstoke Z Shed to give the BEAST some well earned identity on the UK roads.
C49E7CEB-5C4C-4943-A5FF-DB7684EA4EED.jpeg

Along with my latest idea to properly name the coupe who’s affectionately nicknamed THE BEAST with a couple of brass name plates. Front and rear.(rear to be added under the Z4 Coupe badge)
61CB75C6-1579-497F-B2A2-D6AFCF68CB49.jpeg

so that’s it until I’ve saved enough for the supercharge.:facepalm:

RHA,ROY.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I've nearly forgotten what that old beasty looks like Roy.;)

Tony.

ps. You ought to do something about that shut line on the bonnet mate. Remember how mine was after we fitted that new cross member?

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
I've nearly forgotten what that old beasty looks like Roy.;)

Tony.

ps. You ought to do something about that shut line on the bonnet mate. Remember how mine was after we fitted that new cross member?
Yeh your right Tony, been forgetting to replace the under bonnet shut line adjuster on the offside which puts both sides out. Have to get along to the main agents.( keep forgetting ) lol.
long time no see, but things seem to be getting worse, we’re still only going out for essentials and properly organised meets with max social distancing.
Roy.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Things aren't getting much better my mate. You take care.

Tony.

Reactions: Rha

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
Interesting read - I went from a Z4MC to my late 2.8 M52TU widebody earlier this year.

Would love to have kept the Z4MC but resigned myself to the fact that it was just way to much car for my skills and the UK road network.

Now enjoying the roadster life with the 2.8 and the much comfier ride but appreciate with our climate the formaer is only afforded on a limited opportunity basis.

Attachments

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
The z4 coupe is a stunning looking car, i have been tempted.
Im sure you wouldn’t be disappointed, if the itch doesn’t go away you’ll most likely kick yourself in the future. I still sit here hoping she’ll say “ for gods sake go get the coupe out, can’t stand looking at that ugly depressed face any longer”.
Depressed ME!!!!! Never since buying the beast.lol. Took my 6yr old grandson to local retail park in it and when we came out there was two young fellows looking it over. After chatting to them he asked if they were my mates, ha ha. I explained that I didn’t know them but being petrol heads we had a lot in common, his answer was “what Is a petrol head and how do you recognise one. Answer was. Look for the most ugly northern faces and it’s a good bet you’ve spotted one. His reply, but your not a northerner grandad.
Just confirms he thinks I’m handsome, I suppose.=))=))=))

Roy.:bag: