Forum tidy up on the horizon - NOW LIVE!!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi all,

This is just to let you know a few changes which are on the near horizon.

Forum names - We have been live for over 4 months now and it's become clear that we need to tidy up some of the forums with innacurate names. The main culprit is the The Z Roadster Range section. Below is screenshot of what we are planning on tweaking the forums to, which we hope will make the sections a little more obvious where to post! It also reflects the 'knowledge base' section is not sepcific to any particular model in a Z range.

Under utilised forums - There are 3 forums in the Out and About section which have barely been used, and one of those not at all. Our plan is to hide these three sections from view, but not delete them. I will later on create a single new forum under 'Anything Else' to house the three combined threads.

This will also reduce the total amount of forums on the main board, and hopefully make navigation a little easier for members.

----

We plan to make these changes in the week commencing the 9th of April, but will post a specific date when we have confirmed it.

Tapatalk users may need to logout of the forum and log back in again for the changes to reflect correctly afterwards.

If you have any comments just let me know.

Gary

Attachments

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Re: Forum tidy up on the horizon!

Managed to get my head down in to the site development work this week, so things have progressed way beyond when I last posted this. The aim of this project is to integrate the forum better with the design style of the home site.

It does mean however there are some changes in the layout which may take you a moment to figure out. All the same features will be there, they may just be in a slightly different location. I hope you will bear with us while everyone adjusts!

James is going to 'flick the switch' early morning UK time, and you should see quite a change when you login in the morning! If it looks the same, we will have noticed an issue while running through the comprehensive testing plan and reverted back to normal.

Either way I will update you first thing!

Gary

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Ok, so things have gone so well - we decided to go live right now!

If your a little confused let me know and I'll point you in the right direction...

Regards,

Gary & James

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Looking good gary
bill

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I love the look of it, albeit it changed as I was replying to a pm so I wondered what was happening ..... I was about to ask "will our user names be on the l/h/s? .... is it an option to have them back on the r/h/s or do we just need to get used :(

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi Snoops,

Yes it's a case of 'getting used to' I'm afraid. Sorry about the mid PM confusion, but James and I were sat thinking why wait! It's all in place, all thoroughly tested and backed up!

Gary

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Is this a feature that has gone now..... having these links at the top of each page, you have to go back to the board index to see the active topics link....

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Those links will be added back to each page.

I thought it would be ok without them, but realised since that it's a pain. They should appear over the next day or so, once we update the code.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
I was watching a film, checked back here....wow.......... :-o

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Hi, looking cool - but

just tried to check times for meeting the cruise tomorrow and none of my stored messages will open :-o

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
GazHyde said:
Those links will be added back to each page.

I thought it would be ok without them, but realised since that it's a pain. They should appear over the next day or so, once we update the code.
:D I just scrolled up and went to click the active link.... well the white space that is there now..... nothing like your "users" to test it for you hope you don't take it as criticism...

edit..... I can open all my saved messages ??

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
SeaSurfer said:
none of my stored messages will open :-o
I've just tested my test user again, and messages are opening fine for me! *scratches head*

@ Snoops - James appears to be tinkering on our test system right now, so maybe a little sooner than I thought ;)

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
and now at the bottom to save you scrolling to the top of each page now ;)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
board said:
and now at the bottom to save you scrolling to the top of each page now ;)
:-bd how easy is it for you to add the "active" one as well :D

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Is that the one? :)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Final stage now complete and I'm going to bed after posting this i-)

> The forum names are now all correctly denoted as far as my bleary vision will allow me to proof read. Hopefully the new labels make more sense as to which area you should post your Zed related posts.

> The Z Roadster Range section is now higher up the board index page. I have no idea why it was near the bottom, as this is what the site is about!

> The 'Out and About' section is now gone, and all the posts moved to a new section in "Anything Else".

I really hope you are getting on OK with the new layout. I'm still looking for things myself :-?

Big thanks to James for his assistance over the duration of this latest Phase. It will probably be at least another couple of months before the next development phase kicks in with even more features and functionality (what more you say? what else can you possibly fit in!)

Good night (err, morning!) all.

Gary