E89 Sat Nav

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
Hi All,
Just purchasing a SDRIVE30I AUTO, lovely car, on a 59 plate, but it does not have SatNav, does anyone know what the best option for fitting SatNav is please?
Many thanks.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
I really wouldn't bother to retro fit the BMW sat nav. It is very basic compared to your average Tom Tom or Garmin. No speed camera warnings or indication of which lane to take. In fact I would say it is as basic a sat nav as you could possibly buy.

Mike

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
Goodness that BMW thing is ugly! - is there a way of fitting something into the unit which lifts up on the dash?

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
How about one of those Heads Up Devices (HUD) has anyone tried those ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
How about one of those Heads Up Devices (HUD) has anyone tried those ?
I have one purely for speed projection onto screen and I like it. Being after market it is a shade bright but I find it very useful.

Tony.

StephenM

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3L M Sport
Which make did you go for please?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Which make did you go for please?
It was an eBay purchase which I got while we were over in Florida, I'll see if I can find a link,

Tony.

John Thompson

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Sdrive 35i
Go to you tube and type in navdy, I think they are about £400 as they are quite new but boy are they worth every penny, as well as being a stunning HUD navigation unit, it's your hands free, voice dialling, speak to text,and a lot more and all at the fraction of the price of the bmw unit, however the display that rises up is much more than just a sat nav.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
BMW satnav does what it says on the tin. It works effectively but doesn’t have the bells and whistles of TomTom although it does show traffic updates and shows congestion etc. However, who chose the colour scheme needs a lesson in ergonomics and human interfaces. Grey and green are not easily distinguishable.

The display though is the interface for all car functions though.
If you go third party satnav (your only choice I suspect) is how the audio directions are played. If you want to use the car audio, that means you will have to use the same device for your music etc. The car audio won’t mix an external input with its radio/HD etc.

If you have bmw connected services (and subscribe) you can upload routes. Most phone based satnav systems you can’t.

Retrofitted bmw satnav, if it can be done, isn’t going to be cheap. It’s not just the satnav unit but also GPS receivers (at the top of door pillars I believe). Also, you have coding the car to recognise it is there. Many forum posts indicate that BMW won't do it, but, I'm sure someone will.

I thought it did tell you which lane to take though but only on the display.

Cartronics do a Z4 upgrade. https://www.cartronics.co.uk/BMW-Z4-Navigation-Upgrade but it looks like it is a fixed add-on.

Your solution will really depend how OEM you want it to be and how much integration.
I'd be tempted to speak to one of the many car systems integrators - most of these that do audio also do satnav.