Another crank, no start.

Steve C

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Spent the last 2 weekends in the garage and starting to run out of steam.
Tried re-alignment again with Rheingold.
Studied wiring diagrams to trace input/outputs.
I think if I knew what the DME was expecting from the seperate modules I would have a better chance.
Will probably leave alone until some inspiration or boredom leads me down the garden path.

Mrscalex.. If you are ever down this way, you would be most welcome to pop in.

Andyboy

I had an Audi recently with a weird starting problem - occasionally it wouldn't start. Then you'd release the key and try again - bingo.

Was the crank sensor. It all checked out OK, but it wasn't. For the sake of a few quid and 20 minutes work I'd replace it with a used one. Fault codes often mean nothing - for example, a failed MAF won't show a fault code at all.

EWS1 used the high/low signal from the door locks to the body control module and then to the starter relay and the engine ECU via the OBC if fitted. That was 9/1993 to 12/94 though.

EWS2 arrived on all BMW's in 1/95 and was the chipped key talking to the EWS module via the plastic ring.

Have you checked that the car hasn't got an alarm immobiliser? A lot of these and other BMW's of this era had a dealer fit alarm (2T, 3G etc) and the more sophisticated versions had a connection to the ECU (DME). This was generally BMW's that didn't have remote locking on the key but not always as I had 8 Series etc with the three button key and a BMW alarm.

EWS3D was fitted from late 1998 (1999 model year) - that's when BMW started adding E46 style electronics. The rolling code was EWS3 and variants, 3.2, 3.3 and 3D. EWS3 arrived in 1997 for the E38 and E39 and the didn't have a separate EWS module but had everything done by the ECU itself.

So - I'd be replacing the crank sensor first as well as looking around for signs of an alarm/immobiliser.

Last edited:

Steve C

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Afternoon Andy
Car does have the dealer fitted alarm with the separate 2 button key fob.
Seems to work fine with locking and unlocking and siren sounds when activated.
From the gumph I've read, high signal = bad, Low signal = good.
Would a low signal be 0 volts?

Crank sensor has been changed so this can be ruled out.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
Where did you source the crank sensor and how much was it? It is not uncommon for very cheap items to sometimes be faulty from new.

Tony.

Andyboy

Afternoon Andy
Car does have the dealer fitted alarm with the separate 2 button key fob.
Seems to work fine with locking and unlocking and siren sounds when activated.
From the gumph I've read, high signal = bad, Low signal = good.
Would a low signal be 0 volts?

Crank sensor has been changed so this can be ruled out.
OK. Reading the BMW alarm fitting manuals, cars with EWSII don't have any immobiliser wires connected. If you can find the control unit (probably behind glovebox) would disconnecting it do anything? Try disconnecting the body control module as well. Be aware that there is both a DME relay in the fuse box AND an unloader relay which on the E36 is under the dash. This powers (from the green wire on the ignition switch along with green wire terminal 56 on the ECU) the coils (green wire from relay), the fuel pump relay (red 30 on fuel pump relay).

The unloader relay is one of the pale green ones with four wires, green, red, green and brown.

The ECU's driveaway signal is at terminal 10 (green or black/purple).

EWS has three fuses in the front box, 28, 31 and 45.

Do you have an EWSII diagram? If not I'll dig one out.