Z4 E86 coupe suction cup bike rack

Maurits K

Zorg Addict
Dutch Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0iS
Right, posting this because it might be of interest for someone facing a similar challenge. The challenge was carrying an MTB with an E86 coupe. I know there are other solutions - such as Saris carriers - available involving straps and relatively complex setups (in my humble perspective that is. Of course that is all in the eye of the beholder).

A while ago I happened to stumble across the "suction cup bike racks". I decided to test the version produced by Rockbros, rather than the one produced by SeaSucker as the Rockbros version is a lot cheaper and was available way faster. Rockbros' and SeaSuckers' products are shaped slightly different, however the principle is the same: (a) removal of your front wheel (b) three large suction cups in the front to which you connect your fork with either a quick release pin or a bolt through axle and (c) one large suction cup in the back to which you attach your rear wheel.

I had the same doubts as most of you probably will have but it really works a charm. Stopped four times in the first twenty kilometres, only to find out that everything was still rock solid:

Installs in five minutes and you can very easily check whether the cups have sufficient suction, because if not, a colored part of their plunger will stick out.

Thus: this makes me a happy chappy, as I can now use my coupe as a proper SUV. :whistle:

By the way, I chose the one bike carrier. Rockbros also produces carriers for two and three bikes, each with more suction cups. However , I am afraid the roof is to convex for that many suction cups, as the aluminium bit is not that flexible.

Last edited:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Careful you don't find a low bridge or you'll find yourself driving an E85 :whistle: =))

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Would make me nervous using a suction cup, with our up n down temps in the UK I know I would end up loosing my bike.

Maurits K

Zorg Addict
Dutch Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0iS
Would make me nervous using a suction cup, with our up n down temps in the UK I know I would end up loosing my bike.
Sure significant changes in temperature after the suction cups being placed on the roof surface impact suction power, but I doubt that to be of real relevance here. As far as I am aware of none of the companies producing this (as mentioned above: SeaSucker and Rockbros, in addition to that: Tree Frog and there are probably others) make any mention of temperature restrictions.

You also have to bear in mind that you do not use these suction bike racks as a "classic" roof rack or bike carrier; they are not intended to stay on for longer periods (say an entire vacation period). Which is why every manufacturer will tell you to check the suction cups at least every four hours, but the distances I cover to MTB trails never require more than say 1 to 1,5 hours of driving. During such a period temperature drops / rises are not that impressive. Could be a couple of degrees Celsius tops. Before driving back, I obviously check suction again.

Obviously, if it is freezing you cannot use them anyway as you cannot use water for cleaning the roof surface and the suction cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee