• You can only post For Sale adverts once you have been a member for 3 days and made 5 posts elsewhere on the site.

Wanted Z3 steering wheel

Bigwinn

Zorg Addict
Joined
May 13, 2021
Points
63
Location
Lincoln UK
Model of Z
Z4 3.0i
Evening

I'm looking for a Z3 wheel if anyone has one in the garage going spare?

non multifuntion
airbag- yes
3 spoke

Drop me a line if you have one

Thanks
 
From a 2000 car.
 

Attachments

  • s-l1600.webp
    s-l1600.webp
    139.7 KB · Views: 240
£50 posted. Let me check all the part numbers etc and I’ll post up a pic of the slip ring.
 
….,
 

Attachments

  • 219FF823-9C2E-452A-9077-9C95E61FC8B3.webp
    219FF823-9C2E-452A-9077-9C95E61FC8B3.webp
    138.4 KB · Views: 214
  • B6C161A6-5A58-432B-BFE3-D48C934633D4.webp
    B6C161A6-5A58-432B-BFE3-D48C934633D4.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 49911CFD-DE77-465C-ACEE-B68A5E51A070.webp
    49911CFD-DE77-465C-ACEE-B68A5E51A070.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 29291557-FDC3-4EFF-9A41-C6F8F22D8257.webp
    29291557-FDC3-4EFF-9A41-C6F8F22D8257.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 238
I can't make head nor tail of the airbag part number.

I've had it 3 years or so - I think it came from a W plate 1.8. It has the E46 type airbag connector.
 
Just for information relating to this thread

Pre face-lift zeds have single stage airbags
Face-lift zeds have multi stage airbags

Connections are different and are not interchangeable.

Stephen.
 
Thats looks like a pre-facelift wheel to me.. didn't they only have a single stage airbag ?
That's interesting! TIL that even the airbags are different on facelift cars… ;)

On a bit of a tangent, why is the M Sports Steering Wheel listed as multifunction? I would expect a multifunction steering wheel to have some buttons (radio, volume, whatever), which mine certainly doesn't.
 
@Bigwinn I would suggest you will need to look for an e46 3 series car with the triangle steering wheel from a certain era that has the old style steering wheel but a dual stage airbag. I would expect that the majority for sale will be single stage airbags which wont work with post 1999 Z3s. Thats not to say that they don't exist as dual stage bags but a little research and cross referencing of part numbers will be important to find the right combo.

The steering wheel itself is fine, just the airbag is the issues.

What year is your Z3?
 
Thanks all for the advice- who knew that a steering wheel swap could have so many pitfalls....

I will revert back- nothing is simple eh
 
That's interesting! TIL that even the airbags are different on facelift cars… ;)

On a bit of a tangent, why is the M Sports Steering Wheel listed as multifunction?
Because its turns both left and right! ;) If you take off the black plastic bits either the side of the airbag you will see it has cut outs where buttons would go and where the wiring loom would attach. That steering wheel was used on multiple BMWs which have those functions.
 
Because its turns both left and right! ;) If you take off the black plastic bits either the side of the airbag you will see it has cut outs where buttons would go and where the wiring loom would attach. That steering wheel was used on multiple BMWs which have those functions.
Hmm, you got a bee under my bonnet...

I was wondering if a real multifunction steering wheel (with working buttons) could be retrofit to the E36 Z3… Quick intertubes search seems to imply that this can be done with an E38/E39 wheel. Apparently the steering wheels earlier than 3/99 used the same slipring as the E36, but with seven wires instead of four.

Since I am bored and have nothing else better to do at the moment, I think further research (and perhaps wasted money) is on the cards. 😉
 
Hmm, you got a bee under my bonnet...

I was wondering if a real multifunction steering wheel (with working buttons) could be retrofit to the E36 Z3… Quick intertubes search seems to imply that this can be done with an E38/E39 wheel. Apparently the steering wheels earlier than 3/99 used the same slipring as the E36, but with seven wires instead of four.

Since I am bored and have nothing else better to do at the moment, I think further research (and perhaps wasted money) is on the cards. 😉

It is doable, as well as steering wheel controlled Cruise Control. There are several e36 cars running this setup but the key to all of it is the CD43 radio which uses the ibus line to communicate between headunit and the multifunction buttons.

This as you mentioned, this will require the slipring from an early e39 which attaches to the steering wheel instead of being fixed to the steering column.

I bought a pair of multifunction buttons a few years back but have never got around to the job. Priorities.
 
There are several e36 cars running this setup but the key to all of it is the CD43 radio which uses the ibus line to communicate between headunit and the multifunction buttons.
Thanks for confirming, and yes, I did revert to the CD43 on my car.
 
Hmmm am thinking similar and like Mr Big my car is close in terms of year to the facelift (manufactured November 1998) think the only way to tell if its single or dual is to dismantle and look.
 
Back
Top